Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

21st August? I hope that's not the originally announced super-detail version without the later announced sound features (perhaps you can confirm?), otherwise Hornby's whole approach to delivery dates and honesty now seems to me to STINK. We are told elsewhere that only days ago they "bullishly" announced officially to the model railway press that this model is due in July! If they really mean "end of August" why didn't they say so?

Just being positive, I prefer to believe (at this moment) that when the P2s DO arrive we'll get them in batches like the Sentinel variants...

fingers crossed, etc, etc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If micklner cared to read this thread before publically admitting that he could not understand my post #696, he would be aware that robmcg is very good at photoshopping pictures of model locomotives.

In post #694 manna said

Beautiful loco...................but when are they going to bring it out in BR green !!!!!!!!! ” 

It seemed to me that Manna’s post was made in jocular fashion, so I replied in similar vein that perhaps robmcg could use his undoubted skills to photoshop a model of the Hornby P2 into BR green livery.

Seems pretty clear to me, and also to gr.king and hroth who’s posts Nos 698 and 700 show that they clearly understood.

Regards

Colin

Or maybe we could have one in Intercity livery like this wretched A4:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Dublo-Gresley-A4-Union-South-Africa-3-Rail-NEVERWAZZA-/171352437636

:no: :no: :no:

Keith

If micklner cared to read this thread before publically admitting that he could not understand my post #696, he would be aware that robmcg is very good at photoshopping pictures of model locomotives.

In post #694 manna said

Beautiful loco...................but when are they going to bring it out in BR green !!!!!!!!! ” 

It seemed to me that Manna’s post was made in jocular fashion, so I replied in similar vein that perhaps robmcg could use his undoubted skills to photoshop a model of the Hornby P2 into BR green livery.

Seems pretty clear to me, and also to gr.king and hroth who’s posts Nos 698 and 700 show that they clearly understood.

Regards

Colin

It was a joke bit like painting a P2 in BR Green  :stinker:   :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Or maybe we could have one in Intercity livery like this wretched A4:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Dublo-Gresley-A4-Union-South-Africa-3-Rail-NEVERWAZZA-/171352437636

:no: :no: :no:

Keith

There's a nice engine under all that grot.  Drop the over-enthusiastic handrails, especially on the cab and tender and a sympathetic respray, after removing the "intercity livery".  I think a well cleaned silver or garter blue with heavy weathering around all the rivets, just like a late-30s A4 ought to look!

Is 55 quid too steep for a three-rail A4?

I'd have said so, but given the crazy prices people seem to be paying for old Triang tat, perhaps I ought to have my childhood Dublo train set on the insurance.....

21st August? I hope that's not the originally announced super-detail version without the later announced sound features (perhaps you can confirm?), otherwise Hornby's whole approach to delivery dates and honesty now seems to me to STINK. We are told elsewhere that only days ago they "bullishly" announced officially to the model railway press that this model is due in July! If they really mean "end of August" why didn't they say so?

It was a pre-order for R3207 the original super-detail version.  As I understand it the expected arrival date for this model has been moved from June to July and now August.

I could change the colour of the P2 in the photos to something like Brunswick green but no, Gresley would turn in his grave, and we can't have that!  The lining would have to be re-done by hand and there's no easy way to do that either.

Moving quickly along, did not Hornby say that their super detail or main range P2 was already sold out to pre-orders?  It makes me a bit nervous that some sellers on the web are still offering pre-orders, although presumably 'subject to availability' . I wonder if they have asked for and received an allocation of say 20 models and have pre-orders for more than that?

In any event if I miss out the detailed P2s will probably turn up on Ebay...

Another question. Will it have square axle boxes?  (I don't care so long as it goes well.  At £70 for the RR version with the same chassis I'm not expecting miracles, either).

Rob

• RMweb Gold

The time to worry is when it is delivered with square wheels.Eventually,it will turn up....after the usual panic of not enough of original delivery to go round.....remember last year's 2-BIL saga,now of faded memory .....at present being shipped out at reduced prices from Margate Direct.?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There's a nice engine under all that grot.  Drop the over-enthusiastic handrails, especially on the cab and tender and a sympathetic respray, after removing the "intercity livery".  I think a well cleaned silver or garter blue with heavy weathering around all the rivets, just like a late-30s A4 ought to look!

Unfortunately that "Intercity A4" has no valve gear.

Edited by Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium

It was a pre-order for R3207 the original super-detail version.  As I understand it the expected arrival date for this model has been moved from June to July and now August.

Moving quickly along, did not Hornby say that their super detail or main range P2 was already sold out to pre-orders? 

Rob

But some retailers (e.g. MRD as I posted a few ago) "sold out" of pre-orders some time ago. but are now taking them again.

To me that suggests that

1) Hornby can deliver more in the first batch than originally anticipated. or

2) Hornby have a second batch following close on the heels of the first. or

3) the retailers are being naughty!

Keith

I don't have any Locos as far as I know with square axle boxes so I can't comment personally but having heard about some of the issues that have been had with them I am nervous about mine having them, having said that the horror stories of a product are always made far more public than the ones about it serving a working life with little or no problem. We can only wait and see.

Rhys

But some retailers (e.g. MRD as I posted a few ago) "sold out" of pre-orders some time ago. but are now taking them again.

To me that suggests that

1) Hornby can deliver more in the first batch than originally anticipated. or

2) Hornby have a second batch following close on the heels of the first. or

3) the retailers are being naughty!

Keith

I can hardly imagine that the super detailed version, with such lovely and no doubt expensive tooling, will be allowed to remain under-utilised for long, so long as there is demand.

Not sure if comparison with the DoG is valid, as that had a few issues with quality control which might affect continuing supply of the sold-out R3191 main range version.

Edited by robmcg

Ye gods, you're right!  I didn't peek too closely under the valences....   But I see that the price has now hiked up to 73 quid with eleven and a half hours to go.    I blame it on people who buy Lima 37s in police livery.....

• Like 1

I still believe, as I implied in an earlier post, that the model reviewed in the T.W. video and various magazines, the one on the Hornby roadshow stand at various exhibitions last year, the one on the BRM stand (or was it Model Rail) at Ally Pally earlier this year and the one in Hornbys photos, are all the same model. All had the same faults (bent or missing parts and a gap between smoke box and boiler). Given the time that has lapsed, I think it was a decorated pre production model designed to drum up more interest / orders. I would be a little disappointed if the production models exhibited these imperfections. 

• RMweb Gold

Moving quickly along, did not Hornby say that their super detail or main range P2 was already sold out to pre-orders?  It makes me a bit nervous that some sellers on the web are still offering pre-orders, although presumably 'subject to availability' . I wonder if they have asked for and received an allocation of say 20 models and have pre-orders for more than that?

Rob

Hornby said it was 'sold out to the trade'  Rob which does not necessarily mean that the trade have sold it out to end customers yet.  Equally some retailers orders might have changed - making more available - or there could even be instnaces of Hornby cancelling orders for some retailers if they have failed to pay their bills (that has happened in the past) thus making some available to other retailers.

Yes, Stationmaster your clear head and incisive mind clears it up for me, there should be no problem if there are no misunderstandings between trade orders and Hornby's production.   On a slightly different note, one web seller (I tried two) appears to take money for a pre-order, not just authorise a payment when item is in stock and despatched,   I wasn't brave enough to proceed to 'pay'... there was no mention of 'we will NOT charge you until item is in stock'

This latter was Topslotsntrains   I don't want to denigrate them if indeed they DON'T charge until item is in stock, and someome may know more than me. Given that their site didn't reassure me about the payment process, I wonder if any sellers take pre-orders without having ordered sufficient to cover them, from Hornby?

The second seller I tried was Model Railways Direct  who had a better price, removed VAT and reassured me that payment would be authorised but not charged until item in stock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, the few items I've tried to obtain via Model Railways Direct were paid for in advance, then the money refunded when they couldn't supply them. They had of course disappeared from other sellers by the time this became apparent.....

Hmm, the few items I've tried to obtain via Model Railways Direct were paid for in advance, then the money refunded when they couldn't supply them. They had of course disappeared from other sellers by the time this became apparent.....

Well perhaps they have upgraded their system? I was at no time asked for payment, only for authorisation to take payment when they had the item in stock.   Makes me a bit nervous though.

Can someone give an idea of the relative merits of the RR version? I imagine it's somewhere early in the thread and will be something like; 'less paint, more moulded detail, less separate parts'.  Yet the early promo pics don't make the RR version look too bad.  As with the Duke of Gloucester, the RR version was very good value, but the main range model had separate handrails and more paint, and no detail pack (but you can buy X6589 BR Class 8 detail pack from Peters Spares), so really it comes down to paint and deflector handrails. And perhaps they all have the same type of chassis?

• RMweb Premium

I've been dealing with them since July 2012 and they never take money, only authorisation.

Keith

In my experience Model Railways Direct only take payment when they dispatch the goods if you have paid by credit or debit card. There is a warning on their website that Paypal is not recommended for pre-orders as that method automatically takes payment immediately.

I have had other problems with their credit card payment system refusing UK credit cards registered to an overseas address but that seems to have been resolved now.

• RMweb Gold

It was a couple of years ago, thinking about it, so it may have changed. I was after the Hornby Maunsell push-pull set (which I eventually got cheaper from the shop I used as a child, Modeller's Mecca). Gave up on the Southern bogie passenger thingy til recently.

Just for the record, No.2001 Cock 'O the North ran for three years in the condition of the Hornby model, as in September 1937 it was decided to rebuild it with conventional pistol valves and Walchaerts and a new front end.

It's sales will undoubtedly be down to the locos wow factor, as I have seen little evidence that over half the universe is modelling the Scottish Area of the LNER in the years 1933-37... :sarcastic:

Just for the record, No.2001 Cock 'O the North ran for three years in the condition of the Hornby model, as in September 1937 it was decided to rebuild it with conventional pistol valves ...

Just when I think I'm beginning to get a grip on the terminology of steam engines, the Coach shoots me down with a new one ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just for the record, No.2001 Cock 'O the North ran for three years in the condition of the Hornby model, as in September 1937 it was decided to rebuild it with conventional pistol valves and Walchaerts and a new front end.

It's sales will undoubtedly be down to the locos wow factor, as I have seen little evidence that over half the universe is modelling the Scottish Area of the LNER in the years 1933-37... :sarcastic:

It did visit King's X on at least one occasion though.

Keith