Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

The Hornby trade website shows R3171 as due week 8th July (!), but recent trade news information does not have the P2 appearing just yet. So I have to assume that this date is a typing error, and possibly the Hattons date of 8th August is the correct one.

R3207 is shown as arriving at Margate week commencing 2nd September

R3246TTS is showing as week commencing 16th September.

So for the above pair, the delivery dates have slipped in recent weeks.

• RMweb Premium

R3207 is shown as arriving at Margate week commencing 2nd September

R3246TTS is showing as week commencing 16th September.

So for the above pair, the delivery dates have slipped in recent weeks.

Might, just might, have some production samples to view at Warley then! (2014, 2015, 2016...yawn)

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I am planning to repaint mine in Brunswick Green livery. Can anyone advise whether there are any differences between the Railroad version and the "detailled" version other than the detail of painting.  If the painting is the only difference I'll change my pre order to a Railroad version.

Hi

Is Hornby offering the best price on this?

http://www.Hornby.com/lner-2-8-2-cock-o-the-north-p2-class.html

Can you pre-order via Hornby?

Looks lovely!

It does look lovely and no it is not best price, several web retailers have offered it for somewhat less but most are not taking pre-orders because they have 'sold out' their allocation.  Some might accept pre-orders for less than Hornby's price.

That said, you can ask for a stock notification when it becomes available from Hornby, and presumably buy direct from them then.  

Sorry if this has been covered previously, but there is a £50 price difference between the Railroad and 'Full Spec' (Not the TTS version) locos. Does anyone actually know what you get for the extra £50. All I can see is full lining and shaded numerals and a hand painted hand rail or two . The buffers still look plastic and the smoke box dart still moulded on. Highlighting the handrail in glittery silver paint just seems to draw attention to its wobbly appearance.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the difference between RR P2 and main/TTS is paint only, apart from the sound in the TTS of course,  never having seen either in the flesh.   Hornby advertise the RR version with front steps, cylinder drains, brake rods and brake hose(s) so they are obligated to supply these. 

Mind you Hornby catalogue pictures are maybe not 'exact'?

I think the mouldings and mechanical side will be the same for all.

Sorry if this has been covered previously, but there is a £50 price difference between the Railroad and 'Full Spec' (Not the TTS version) locos. Does anyone actually know what you get for the extra £50. All I can see is full lining and shaded numerals and a hand painted hand rail or two . The buffers still look plastic and the smoke box dart still moulded on. Highlighting the handrail in glittery silver paint just seems to draw attention to its wobbly appearance.

On the Hornby website the main range version is £122.99 and the Railroad version for £82.99.  So the price difference is £40.

The price difference is reduced further, when you consider some retailers were selling the main range version for £99 and the Railroad version for £73, i.e. only £26 price difference.

The Hattons website suggests that the main range version has etched name plates.  But I'm not sure it that is still correct as there is no mention of that on the Hornby website.

On a Hornby 2014 release booklet I reviewed in a magazine just a few months ago mentioned the etched nameplates for both main a tts version. I believe complaints were made about the DoG because its "etched" nameplates were extra printed plastic ones?

Rhys

It wasn't a catalogue, it was a small magazine freebie, maybe with BRM or Hornby I can't remember. It was only 10 or so pages long but included all of the 2014 range and a small amount of info on them. It was in the style of the free, magazine extra, hattons catalogue. Ill try and find it but I don't know where it is.

Rhys

Sound? is this only dcc

To clarify, one of them is shown as TTS Sound, I don't understand this, the Amazon one is shown as this and is £122 or there abouts.

Does it mean I can have sound on my normal DC layouts?

Edited by mikesndbs

• RMweb Premium

On a Hornby 2014 release booklet I reviewed in a magazine just a few months ago mentioned the etched nameplates for both main a tts version. I believe complaints were made about the DoG because its "etched" nameplates were extra printed plastic ones?

Rhys

The seperate name plates supplied with the main range Duke Of Gloucester were certainly not what modellers would expect of items described as 'etched'. There's plenty of comment and reference material from the likes of members 'Silver Sidelines', 'Rob McG', myself and others on the Hornby topic "Decorated Examples of The Duke of Gloucester'.

Regards,

John

• Like 1

To clarify, one of them is shown as TTS Sound, I don't understand this, the Amazon one is shown as this and is £122 or there abouts.

Does it mean I can have sound on my normal DC layouts?

I ask Hornby about TTS on DC. They said the loco will run, but the sound will not function, not even the movement sound. They said the decoders can not support that action. Would be amazing if the basic sound did work for DC. Hope this helps. 

Edited by SDJR7F88

According to my latest Hattons email....main range version now due after 2nd September

Yep, just got that too. Mine was for my dad's 70th in two weeks - I think he will be lucky to get this for Xmas now.

On 15th April 2012 Hattons informed me that Duchess of Abercorn was due on or after 14th September 2012 and they were absolutely correct, it was delivered on 27th March 2014.

What they meant is that as the model has not yet been made, packed and on the boat there is no way on earth it will be here before that date.

Edited by Free At Last