RMweb

Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

Will anyone be getting a 2nd P2  and renaming it as one of the 5 P2s that where built in the class or even

doing a Prince of Wales.

D.R.M.

"Hello

We thought you may like to know that an item you have on order with us, on order id 3096606, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Hornby R3246TTS Class P2 2-8-2 "Cock O' The North" in LNER green - TTS Sound £143.70

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Friday 17th October 2014

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only.

We hope that this email has been useful.

Regards

Retail Team
Hattons Model Railways
www.ehattons.com"

Edited by Coldgunner

Had another go with flanged trailing wheels.

post-4032-0-02420900-1411770502_thumb.jpg

This is with flanged wheel set.  Loco does run round layout ok (30" curves) but because of the length of the loco and coupled wheelbase, there is a tendency for the cab end to be restricted from moving out as much as it needs to  in places. This makes loco "tight" here and there.  Think wheels need more side to side play.

post-4032-0-26858200-1411770932_thumb.jpg

With flangeless wheels as supplied.  Loco runs very sweetly round layout,  Since it is effectively an 0-8-0 (pushing pony truck around) I guess the driving wheels are now moving sideways an equal amount for each wheel set. And the smokebox end and cab end are towards the outside of the curve by an equal amount. 

I'm also thinking that the flangeless wheels don't really notice so may well leave them fitted.

Loco certainly runs very smoothly (with flangeless wheels), no derailments after dodgy piece of track sorted. 

One unfortunate point with the loco, the flangeless carrying wheels have only 10 spokes. According to my old skinley drawing, they should have 12.   :O   Could this be the first time this has ever happened with a model loco? :scratchhead:

Will anyone be getting a 2nd P2  and renaming it as one of the 5 P2s that where built in the class or even

doing a Prince of Wales.

D.R.M.

Mine is going to become "Eleventh Earl of Mar" - that should get you thinking.... :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

Just been running my r3207 P2 that I got from Arcadia on Wednesday. What a beautiful model. Runs very well. Got some problems with front drivers coming off on curves, but not everywhere, so suspect it's my dodgy track. But she goes round main circuits with ease . I've been pretty critical of Hornby in the past, but this is a brilliant model with no QC issues I can see . More like this please.. With the steady stream of models now coming on line, I hope you've finally turned the corner!

R3207 has arrived at my sheds :) over all very happy, but a bit miffed Hornby never fitted the brass name plates already as its a bit of a scary job for me.

Also not that impressed with the black plastic valve gear, could have been brass or such like.

But, what a nice loco.

• RMweb Gold

Given my interest in the South Wales valleys, and the more rural corners of Dorset, it was a given that I'd end up with one of these. And very nice it is too. Needs some running in - starts and stops are a bit abrupt - but it's smooth and quiet and looks great when running.

post-6720-0-22805600-1411851939.jpg

post-6720-0-29239900-1411851957.jpg

post-6720-0-52869200-1411851976.jpg

• Like 17

R3207 has arrived at my sheds :) over all very happy, but a bit miffed Hornby never fitted the brass name plates already as its a bit of a scary job for me.

You can always use a bit of Blu Tac to fix the plates if you don't want to risk getting glue on the model.  I use it on mine and they've never fallen off. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Given my interest in the South Wales valleys, and the more rural corners of Dorset, it was a given that I'd end up with one of these. And very nice it is too. Needs some running in - starts and stops are a bit abrupt - but it's smooth and quiet and looks great when running.

Crumlin viaduct,anyone?

attachicon.gifcock1.jpg

attachicon.gifcock2.jpg

attachicon.gifcock3.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Crumlin viaduct,anyone?

attachicon.gifcock1.jpg

attachicon.gifcock2.jpg

attachicon.gifcock3.jpg

Bit of a sore subject, Crumlin viaduct. My dad was a civil engineer and one of his first jobs was concerned with the demolition of said viaduct. I think he always felt that it had been a bad decision to take it down.

• RMweb Gold

Bit of a sore subject, Crumlin viaduct. My dad was a civil engineer and one of his first jobs was concerned with the demolition of said viaduct. I think he always felt that it had been a bad decision to take it down.

But it did make some awful worrying noises (to me as a youngster) as a train passed over it - but the view was tremendous.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But it did make some awful worrying noises (to me as a youngster) as a train passed over it - but the view was tremendous.

Agreed...and slow,oh so slow..It was also subject to rigorous weight restriction,which did not help its chances of survival.Having said that,it was a essential line of communication during the last war and a useful access to Swansea Docks.God knows the hammering it must have taken then.As one who,on this forum at least,must have taken more trips than most over it.The squeals are remembered with nostalgia.Straps down...head out...don't look down as a Pannier& a couple of Colletts made its way gingerly over on a spotting trip to Pontypool Road to see what Longsight had provided for its daily turn from Manchester ,out and home....usually a Scot...46115 or 46120,maybe?

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 2

attachicon.gifcock1.jpg

attachicon.gifcock2.jpg

attachicon.gifcock3.jpg

Thanks for these excellent photos of the model as it comes out of the box on what looks to be a great layout!

Makes a change.

To be able to see what you actually get and the model in context is great, cheers

• Like 1

For edited images of both main range and RR P2, 2 new of main range,1 older of RR version. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67999-lunester-lounge/?p=1605410

Rob

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top draw images as always Rob.

D.R.M.