Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

I just read Black Hat's thread and was interested in a comment about the 7th P2 having a Welsh Name. I met with Mark Allatt a couple of years ago and he told me about HRH's interest in the project was apparently he is a great fan of Tornado, 

I believe the idea of naming 2007 'Prince of Wales' is in recognition of that support and friendship. Mark also told me that there have been suggestions that  2007 should run as 'Duke of Rothesay' when in Scotland.

I do think its great that Charles is showing interest and lending his name to the scheme, its quite a coup for the group, even if the reason given for him turning 65 was a bit opaque. Seeing Tornado take the royal train out of York was something too and Id love to see the P2 running as the Duke of rothesay when in Scotland. Wonder if Hornby will get those cast names done for the two possibile identities when the engine graces the rails?

• 2 weeks later...
And now for something completely different ... at least, for my Southern based layout!

I now own a Gresley P2 in LNER livery! This one is Hornby but not the TTS one and not the RailRoad one. I bought it off a friend who ended up with two of them. As it had a missing front buffer (easily repaired), I got it for a very reasonable price. It is now fitted with a Lenz Standard+ decoder and runs fairly sweetly with a hint of gear whine that is gradually reducing with use.

I am treating it as a "might have been" preserved example, so it is posed here with a 'raspberry ripple' set of BR mark 1 coaches (Bachmann) and with some Hornby Pullmans.

HornbyP2-1_zpsd08fa0d1.jpg

HornbyP2-2cropped_zps3410ce9b.jpg

HornbyP2-3_zps7182dad9.jpg

HornbyP2-4cropped_zpsb550a9a5.jpg

Edited by SRman
  • Like 6

SR Man - that just looks wrong on so many counts - but who knows it may well not be in about ten years' time!

I know! It's just one of those iconic locomotive types "one just has to have"! I'm not forking out for any teak coaches though: 1. I can't justify the cost and 2. I simply don't have room for another rake of coaches at the moment. :D

The Pullmans don't look entirely out of place, although mine are all types with later designations (i.e. without the "Third Class Car" lettering after the numbers) - first class cars are not as obviously wrong though. Hornby's forthcoming K-types may look more 'correct' with a P2 though.

I did think of including a crew coach behind the tender, possibly a BR mark 1 in blood and custard or maroon to carry the illusion of a preserved locomotive. I don't think I'll put air tanks on the tender though - I'll turn a blind eye and forego that part of any illusion!!  :blind:

Edited by SRman

I have a Locomotives Illustrated about the LNER eight coupled types. The P2s feature, of course. There aren't a huge number of photos but most of those show teak Gresley corridor (gangwayed) coaches, although one shows non-gangwayed stock.

Hi all

What would a P2 have run with back in the day? I'm basically looking for an excuse to buy a rake of Gresley Teaks but kinda want some form of historical accuracy. Not 100% worried about it though lol

The Hornby range of Gresley teaks only offer a small snapshot of the many types/diagrams  that were in service, however they do represent some of the prototypes which it's likely the P2's will have hauled, so unless you want to go down the road of extensive kit building they'll do the job admirably - I've a rake of 7 including the full brake and very nice they are too!

There are also photos kicking around of the P2's hauling NBR corridor stock.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

What would a P2 have run with back in the day? I'm basically looking for an excuse to buy a rake of Gresley Teaks but kinda want some form of historical accuracy. Not 100% worried about it though lol

Where you going to get them from?

Hornby stopped doing the correct period teaks a few years ago, since then e-bay prices have gone silly!

I've been trying to build up a rake and gave up when they started going for between £50 & £60!

Like this set:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Hornby-RARE-RAKE-LNER-Varnished-R-4170E-4171C-4172C-4173C-4174C-4530A-/271709324983?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3f432346b7

Keith

Edited by melmerby

@Keith

Note that he's had no offers on that - I think that's on the very stiff side as per this link...http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l2632.R2.TR4.TRC1.A0.H0.Xhornby+teak&_nkw=Hornby+teak+coaches&_sacat=479

I see these quite often at toy and model fairs - I've only ever gone for the maroon ones myself

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

@Keith

I see these quite often at toy and model fairs - I've only ever gone for the maroon ones myself

Maroon ones are much cheaper.

The last three show I've been two had no teaks, apart from Warley where one stand had some for £60 each

They were not there a few hours later! (I didn't buy them!)

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Maroon ones are much cheaper.

The last three show I've been two had no teaks, apart from Warley where one stand had some for £60 each

They were not there a few hours later! (I didn't buy them!)

Keith

You can buy the old Gresley teaks second hand at around £10 each and there is also the Railroad versions. Frankly they do the job for me rather than he hideously overpriced latest Hornby versions

• RMweb Gold

You can buy the old Gresley teaks second hand at around £10 each and there is also the Railroad versions. Frankly they do the job for me rather than he hideously overpriced latest Hornby versions

With respect,I think not. But yes,they are expensive. I saw the way that prices were rising on these several years back and now have a healthy stock,thank goodness.

I think the later more expensive versions are beautiful models, especially the 2nd batch around 2011? when the grain in the doors was matched to the main panelling. They are still around s/h at good prices, I recently bought a super detail A4 Mallard pre-'satan's plug', and Sanda Kan manufacture, with a super detail version teak third and a brake 3rd (or is it a brake composite?) for £104 the lot , no other bidders. I think a few years ago the box shifters had teaks at around £20 or so for a while, but they are still around if you are lucky.

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Legend, I disagreed because the concession corridor Gresleys are not so expensive if you look around. Even the Hornby website had some BR maroon ones at £22.00 but not surprisingly they are now sold out (I'm wondering if i will ever see my order!). 

The concession Gresleys represent the early BR period and would maybe require a little "alteration"before running with the P2. PM Locomotion Models to enquire.

I actually bought the whole TTS sound model for my repaint and reckon that comes with the fully lined out model on top. Still, it was the easiest to convert given the options available. The project is finally done with the last few embellishments. :locomotive:

attachicon.gifIMG_0257.JPG

Eleventh Earl of Mar, somehow got them all this far... Daddy, You Promised, You Promised! :declare:

I wonder how many on the forum will know 'The Eleventh Earl of Mar'?

Did you see Mr. Hackett on his tours the last couple of years, it was great to see it played live.

Sorry for being a little off topic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Legend, I disagreed because the concession corridor Gresleys are not so expensive if you look around. Even the Hornby website had some BR maroon ones at £22.00 but not surprisingly they are now sold out (I'm wondering if i will ever see my order!).

Cheers Coachmann. Yes agreed if you can pick the proper Gresleys up at £22 to £25 go for it. I haven't seen any up here though, but Glasgow isn't really well served with model Shops anymore. There is a Modelzone in WHSmiths but certainly never seen anything deeply discounted

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Coachmann. Yes agreed if you can pick the proper Gresleys up at £22 to £25 go for it. I haven't seen any up here though, but Glasgow isn't really well served with model Shops anymore. There is a Modelzone in WHSmiths but certainly never seen anything deeply discounted

To illustrate Coachmann's point,I purchased 3 teaks from an RMWeb member from the "Classifieds" section of this forum for £54+p&p only last month.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

Yeah that's it, I could not get it to work?? what is the trick :)

I actually didn't do anything.

I followed the link you'd provided, then copied the link from there.

I am on a computer, if that helps.