Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

Here's (a Ks) one prepared earlier as 60506 Wolf of Badenoch, Ex-??, ex-Tetleys Mills, now here Down Under

post-14921-0-29223500-1415010918_thumb.jpg

I have plans to do another one in similar style if Hornby bring one out or if Graeme does a set of parts, but running with the post 1943, pre-1946 number in the 6099X series. In that version of history, the A2/2s were built as brand new engines.

Edited by 69843

Still awaiting the TTS version to come back into stock but when it eventually arrives I had thoughts of running it as a parallel universe preserved example on a 'raspberry ripple' rake of mark 1 coaches.

• Like 1

By' Eck Lad that's handsome - and you outbid me for it!

I have some other shots if you would like me to send them. I do apologise good sir, but at least it was all for a good cause.

Just spotted the background - a Barbie! in November - and here we are in damp, cold drizzle!

It stays out rain, hail or shine here, and it's the right weather to use it-it was actually used to cook Swoardfish steaks that very night

Not at all - I'm delighted it's gone to a good home and that the cause received a bigger figure than I was prepared to offer. I got all the serviceable points as well as some Mk1s and a couple of locos, so I have no complaints - Gilbert did an outstaninding job

Apologies if it's been mentioned already, but has anyone had any thoughts about converting a P2 to EM or P4 yet?

My P2 may get converted if it's feasible

(Edit) I've emailed Alan Gibson and it appears it may be possible in the future

Cheers

Mike

Edited by 49395

• RMweb Premium

The colour of English grass will always be preferable to any shade of green with connections to the German city of Braunschweig.

What's Middle Chrome Green got to do with Brunswick? :jester:

Keith

EDIT

In the other alternate universe, Thompson decided to scrap them without rebuilding them, the LMS heard about it, bought the P2s at a knockdown price, changed the middle cylinder to Walschaerts gear, modified the front pony truck, painted them Crimson Lake and attached a Coronation style 6 wheel tender! :no:

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

Apologies if it's been mentioned already, but has anyone had any thoughts about converting a P2 to EM or P4 yet?

My P2 may get converted if it's feasible

(Edit) I've emailed Alan Gibson and it appears it may be possible in the future

Cheers

Mike

Pete Hill has already done one for EM.

Since I spoke to Hornby last week and changed CV151 & 152 The P2 is running much better the start up is still slightly sticky but not bad really if you weren't previously aware of it you would probably never notice, the only real problem now is the slight Buzz from the motor when its running which is a real shame, if it wasn't for the problems with the motor the P2 would have been a outstanding model but I still hold out some hope that it will quiet down even further as it runs in more. But I still cant see why Hornby spoilt what would have been a outstanding model for the sake of a few pounds.

In order to check / illustrate as final a finish as possible before I think about dismantling (butchery) for any mould making purposes, I've applied some temporary green finish to the altered areas of the P2. There's not much unaltered is there? I mixed the green in daylight to try to get as close as I could (while it was still slightly wet and had a sheen) to the Hornby version of Doncaster / Grass green. Using Railmatch paints, in order of quantity, the mixture included Darlington green, Doncaster Green, and BR multiple unit green!

How can anbody want to defile one on these locos by painting it in GWR / BR / middle chrome / Brunswick Green?

STA79746_zps1901ebf1.jpg

STA79749_zpsfd4a5b17.jpg

STA79748_zps47754070.jpg

• Like 5

MY first ever encounter with a P2 was at the Central Hall in Westminster when my father took me to a model railway show probably in excess of 40 years ago.

It left a huge impression upon me, not least from seeing a railway whose scenery was breathtaking. I'm sure to this day it was an Allan Downes model. On another layout, a very early predecessor of the Gresley Beat I noticed one of the A4's had grown an extra pair of drivers and lost half its front pony truck.  I asked my father what it was and he told me it was a P2 'One of Gresley's most misunderstood creations'

HE was highly amused by my desire to find out more about this odd-looking beast, and I was crestfallen when the model ewer told me their tale. 

I wondered why he was showing it in BR colours, to which he replied "The whole point about modelling is that you create your own miniature world. The trick is to make it look believable, and by disguising it in the same livery less-informed people don't notice."

I suppose it's the appeal of pulling off a 1:76 con trick on innocent visitors to the line, same as those 2-8-0 V2s we talked about last year!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Keith, CV 151 is P1, parameter of motor algorithm 1, & CV 152 is 11, parameter of motor algorithm 1, this is all explained in CV notes (Motor Control) in the Sound Decoder Manual supplied with the Loco, I hope that this helps explain,

Ken.

Hi Ken

Is that specific to Hornby TTS or is any sound decoder?

They are CVs not normally allocated on non sound chips.

I use almost exclusively Lenz + decoders.

Perhaps the Hornby CVs correspond to Lenz CV50, CV113 & CV114 which are for adjusting motor type/characteristics?

Maybe I should have a play with them!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

How can anbody want to defile one on these locos by painting it in GWR / BR / middle chrome / Brunswick Green?

My preference for the streamlined front would be in LNER blue as on Mallard.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I am fairly sure that these CV are specific to this type of Hornby Decoder as I have never seen them on any other type either, so if you change the CV s that you mention it might do the trick as the ones that I have changed have certainly improved things no end and the loco runs much better, is the motor noisy on the model you have ?

Ken.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Keith,

is the motor noisy on the model you have ?

Ken.

Not particularly. It is just a bit jerky on the lowest speed settings on DCC, once moving more than a scale fast walking pace it seems acceptable.

It has however improved a bit since I first ran it.

Keith

A 2-8-0 V2? Sounds interesting

Then it would be an O something.

Built just before or early in WW2, it might have been an O6, bumping the 8Fs and Austerities up one.  But an interesting proposition in what-might-have-been-land! (Especially if Gresley had lived long enough to hand over to Peppercorn....)

As for the colours, a P2, even with a streamlined nose, would look wrong, a monstrous carbuncle, in blue.  Light greens, Darlington or Doncaster, are appropriate to the North East, dispelling the dour appearance of the locality, as GWR/BR green is offset by the brighter greens of the Western countryside.  Thats where Bulleid went wrong, he painted his engines in the wrong colours for the South West.......

*tip-toes away*

(edit for rubbish spelling)

Edited by Hroth