East West rail, Bletchley to oxford line

21 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

I had a clear run across the branch from Bletchley to Bedford last night with 6M68, I actually attained the giddy high of 60mph going over the top at Ridgemont!

I am curious: You are not the only person I have seen to add an e to Ridgmont.

My club has a layout of it & members assure me it used to be spelled with an e, so I looked it up on an old ordnance survey map from c1900 on the national library of Scotland's website. It was spelled Ridgmont on that too.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

My club has a layout of it & members assure me it used to be spelled with an e, so I looked it up on an old ordnance survey map from c1900 on the national library of Scotland's website. It was spelled Ridgmont on that too.

Just habit I suppose!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

All part of signing the road!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

"The parish is first mentioned in the Domesday book of 1086, by its original name of Segenhoe, which was approximately 500 yards (metres) south east from where the village now lies. In 1227 the name Rugemund was first recorded, taken from the French 'rouge mont' which means red hill.[2]"

From Wikipedia.

So take your choice

J

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Oodles of place names have elastic spellings, and if you go back pre-ordnance survey there was no standardisation of spelling, likewise family names pre-census. Added to which, some places didn’t even have just one name, let alone one spelling of that name.

You still see it in Ireland, where even on OS maps the names of some small rivers change at townland (parish) or county boundaries; the White River in one village can be the Ivy River in the next. In Ireland that is further complicated by anglicisations (literal or phonetic) and de-anglicisations (literal or phonetic), but that’s a different thing.

A case I know of is a locality called Blackness (emphasis on second syllable, being Sussex), or maybe Blacknest. If you trace back through local usage, published maps, and old land titles it seems to have flipped between the two on multiple occasions, and I guess when the OS chap turned up for the first time, he asked somebody and they said “Black-ness”, which could have meant either, given that the “t” wouldn’t have been sounded anyway! That’s what he wrote on his map, anyway.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 06/02/2024 at 10:23, The Stationmaster said:

I do wonder exactly what the line capacity will be between Bletchley and Bedford as it is going to have to really improve on the existing to serve a potentially  busy tourist attraction.  Plus of course the problem of train length vs platform lengths at various stations?   Could a 'tourist express' fit into the capacity n the route I wonder?

In previous proposals to upgrade the route as part of East-West Rail there were two options.

1: Keep the existing stations and extend the platforms. This will allow 2 sem-fast services and 1 stopping service per hour in each direction.

2. Replace the existing stations with a reduced number of new stations, say 5 or 6. The new stations would be associated with new housing development. This would allow 2 semi-fast and 2 stopping services per hour. 

There is much local debate on what is the best option. Some of the existing station have very few users so relocation might make sense and may reduce the amount of disruption on existing services (assuming they are still running)

Regards 

Nick 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, stivesnick said:

In previous proposals to upgrade the route as part of East-West Rail there were two options.

1: Keep the existing stations and extend the platforms. This will allow 2 sem-fast services and 1 stopping service per hour in each direction.

2. Replace the existing stations with a reduced number of new stations, say 5 or 6. The new stations would be associated with new housing development. This would allow 2 semi-fast and 2 stopping services per hour. 

There is much local debate on what is the best option. Some of the existing station have very few users so relocation might make sense and may reduce the amount of disruption on existing services (assuming they are still running)

Regards 

Nick 

My OS map suggests that there are nine level crossings between Bletchley and Bedford St Johns - only one of which is not co-located with a station. To my mind, those present a bigger problem to maintaining a reasonable average speed between Bletchley and Bedford. as even if some of the lesser used stations were closed, there would still be a level crossing. Furthermore, the presence of the railway - especially if the Aylesbury -Calvert chord is reinstated is bound to attract more housing alongside the line - together with the resultant angst amongst road users waiting for level crossings to clear.

• Like 3

The Mayor of Bedford last year commissioned consultants to look at alternative routes for the Bedford - Cambridge to the East-West Rail preferred route.  The report has now been published but didn't really identify one route as better than others; instead it seems to  emphasise the economic benefit to Bedford of such a link.  

East West Rail: Bedford mayor unveils eight alternative routes - BBC News

Edited by 2750Papyrus
attempt to add BBC link
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

9 minutes ago, Arun Sharma said:

My OS map suggests that there are nine level crossings between Bletchley and Bedford St Johns - only one of which is not co-located with a station. To my mind, those present a bigger problem to maintaining a reasonable average speed between Bletchley and Bedford. as even if some of the lesser used stations were closed, there would still be a level crossing. Furthermore, the presence of the railway - especially if the Aylesbury -Calvert chord is reinstated is bound to attract more housing alongside the line - together with the resultant angst amongst road users waiting for level crossings to clear.

It was my understanding that they want to make the line crossing free because it would increase safety & allow the line speed to be raised. They may well have backed out of that though.

3 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

The Mayor of Bedford last year commissioned consultants to look as alternative routes for the Bedford - Cambridge to the East-West Rail preferred route.  The report has now been published but didn't really identify one route as better than others; instead it seems emphasise the economic benefit to Bedford of such a link.  

I don't think there is a route which is better than others. The original route has gone & did not allow trains to call at the main Bedford station anyway. Any of the new routes will be unpopular with a proportion of the locals who live near it. It seems to be a matter of any politician "fighting" against it is simply trying to lose the least votes.

• Agree 3

There’s the bizarre situation of parliamentary candidates from the same party, one in MK trumpeting an empty promise to get EWR completed to Cambridge, because that plays well to MK votes, and one in Bedford trumpeting opposition to it. Plus all the easily foreseeable outbursts in places in between, the latest flare-up being at Lidlington.

And, the nine level crossings only counts the roads, there are private crossings, footpaths, and bridleways aplenty too.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

There’s the bizarre situation of parliamentary candidates from the same party, one in MK trumpeting an empty promise to get EWR completed to Cambridge, because that plays well to MK votes, and one in Bedford trumpeting opposition to it. Plus all the easily foreseeable outbursts in places in between, the latest flare-up being at Lidlington.

And, the nine level crossings only counts the roads, there are private crossings, footpaths, and bridleways aplenty too.

A quick rough and ready count on an OS map gives 23. There could well be more private crossings, but as these are not marked more work would be needed to get an accurate number. Any attempt to close that lot will take years, and a lot of cash.

Bernard

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

On the western section, the footpaths have been maintained by putting in new bridges where necessary. I don’t think there were any bridleways crossing that bit on the level, just one west of Calvert which went over an occupation bridge, and I think that has been rebuilt (I will go and look sometime, but not until the weather is better!).

Maybe this middle bit would best be dealt with by making the entire thing cut and cover, with a combined street tramway, cycleway and linear park on the “roof” at surface level. I can dream!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

51 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

A quick rough and ready count on an OS map gives 23. There could well be more private crossings, but as these are not marked more work would be needed to get an accurate number. Any attempt to close that lot will take years, and a lot of cash.

Bernard

Some closed and diverted, some technology added/upgraded eg miniature stop lights,  others existing CCTV retained details here https://eastwestrail-production.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/public/Route-Update-Announcement/4c8cb5ea3b/Route-update-report.pdf

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, The Great Bear said:

Some closed and diverted, some technology added/upgraded eg miniature stop lights,  others existing CCTV retained details here https://eastwestrail-production.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/public/Route-Update-Announcement/4c8cb5ea3b/Route-update-report.pdf

What bearing does that have on what I wrote Mr Bear?

Each one of them will be subject to due legal process.

It is very easy to draw up a proposal, but a very different kettle of fish to actually get it delivered.

As Nearholmer points out, different people on the same side view the situation very differently.

There may be trouble ahead, as the old song puts it.

Bernard

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

it would be good to re-establish a regular and reliable Bletchley-Bedford service using the existing infrastructure against which the possible alternative future improvements could be debated.  

There seems to be little chance of that with the current ToC. They do not seem interested in running trains on the line, with many current services being replaced by buses.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Anyone who fancies a bit of nocturnal train-spotting might be interested in this, between Bicester and Claydon:

IMG_3212.jpeg.da0e6933cb889fb3feb682bebce6604b.jpeg

The “track settlement trains” will be in the Claydon - Bletchley section from 8th April.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 3

32 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

between Bicester and Claydon

The locals living along the line are going to love the disturbance at 3.00am - there has been grousing over the years in our local town about the stone trains that rumble through at similar hours, disturbing sleep as they go...

Yours, Mike.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Anyone who fancies a bit of nocturnal train-spotting might be interested in this, between Bicester and Claydon:

IMG_3212.jpeg.da0e6933cb889fb3feb682bebce6604b.jpeg

The “track settlement trains” will be in the Claydon - Bletchley section from 8th April.

Given the line is not open to traffic it seems odd that this acn't be done during the day

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Exactly what I thought, but there are wafty words in the letter which imply to me that they have got so much work to do in the daytimes, requiring people to be on the track, and maybe OTP too, that night is the only time. The way it’s phrased hinted “behind programme and trying to catch up” to me, but maybe that’s my ex-professional suspiciousness creeping in.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/02/2024 at 13:40, 2750Papyrus said:

The BBC are reporting that a full Bletchley - Bedford service will be resumed from next Monday, with fares reduced to £1 for 3 months.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cpdejkg5z2po

Looks like it:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:BLY/to/gb-nr:BDM/2024-02-19/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=LM

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We appear to have inherited some extra bus routes between Milton Keynes and Aylesbury.

We now seem to have the 100 operated by Red Rose plus the 150 and X60 operated by Arriva, all three having been around for at least a few years. New kids on the block are Arriva routes X4 and X6, the latter like the X60, running via Buckingham.

I doubt too many people will routinely make the full journey but I wonder if the introduction of the newest two are a precursor to the rail link?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1