East West rail, Bletchley to oxford line

On 06/11/2023 at 15:55, rodent279 said:

In any other country, yes, that's what would happen, it would be a fully electrified double track line, possibly 4 between Didcot & Oxford, maybe Reading-Basingstoke would be wired as well, and there would be proper links in to the ECML & GE lines.

But this is Britain in late 2023, so you can forget it.

Indeed the DFT are proper group that will actualy a useless organization  they are only interested in roads but if you come to Aylesbury you will see they also ignore them.along the DFT has tried to stop this project and they have not finished yet no wires no link to Aylesbury and if possible the line to Cambridge will be cut back   .God help us we need the DFT to be closed down as soon as possible with proper groups to exppppand transport in the UK.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Blooming computers my post went haywire !  Basically the DFT are a not for purpose organisation  they ignore what the public need and and seem to work hand in hand with the anti rail groups and ignore when a  new road  would help . Round here the roads are choked and the few roads that could form a bypass are not being constructed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/11/2023 at 15:16, phil-b259 said:

Whether or not mothballing would have been a good idea is irrelevant!

Well, yes and no. I hear and accept that the government’s remit was to sell everything off, but I guess my question was hypothetical, particularly for the Bedford to Cambridge route: if it was mothballed, would the cost of mothballing match the cost of building a totally new alignment for this route, as is touted to happen? With the proposed route in mind and its enormous viaducts etc., I just can’t see how that is comparable to using a route where all the bridges by Priory Marina still remain along with a lot of other infrastructure, and if it was properly mothballed then the A421 wouldn’t have been allowed to slice through it, along with other buildings etc. Yes it’s hypothetical, I know, but could be a lesson for any future closures!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Pannier Tank said:

When I past Bletchley Station the other day it looked like progress was being made on the Signalling.

Over the last few weeks I've noticed the signals are lit up near the Mursley road bridge.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the new road dive-under is now in use at Calvert, and the old bridge demolished. Not sure if the tracks above are connected up yet, but it does appear the missing link has finally been completed.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simon b said:

Over the last few weeks I've noticed the signals are lit up near the Mursley road bridge.

Yes, the red light is quite noticeable in the cutting near Salden Crabtree Farm (Tuckwell's) for Bletchley bound traffic...

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, simon b said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the new road dive-under is now in use at Calvert, and the old bridge demolished. Not sure if the tracks above are connected up yet, but it does appear the missing link has finally been completed.

Discussed in the HS2 topic, Youtube report here :

Adrian

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

My job tomorrow morning is taking in a crane and a train of sleepers which are no doubt for the Balfour track laying machine so I suspect I’ll be going to the very end of the current line at Claydon (assuming they aren’t joined up yet that is)

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, big jim said:

My job tomorrow morning is taking in a crane and a train of sleepers which are no doubt for the Balfour track laying machine so I suspect I’ll be going to the very end of the current line at Claydon (assuming they aren’t joined up yet that is)

Will you be able to take any pictures?

• Like 1