News from Cooper Craft/Blacksmith/Slater's/Kirk LNER/Mailcoach Kits.

Kits from Somerset

I'm glad someone got something.....

Actually Skaran, my card was charged 6 weeks ago and I haven't seen a thing.  I sent him an email the other day without any real expectation of a response.  Really frustrating.

John

In the past I've always bought stuff direct from Coopercraft, but I placed an order (the first one I've placed through the website) last Friday (25th July) and received an email response confirming the order. Later that day I received another email telling me the order's been despatched. I hope to find it waiting for me when I get home.

If anyone's having problems, don't assume it's the suppliers fault, there are an awful lot of other people involved in the delivery chain, especially if the order's being sent overseas, and it's quite possible that one of these carriers has mislaid the items.

Phil

Quite right Phil.  I've rarely had anything go astray in more than 20 years of mail order though.  My email to Paul was to do with the status of my account saying that confirmation of postage charge was pending despite my card having been charged 6.00 for that very thing.  Customer Service 101 says that you at least let the customer know what's happening.

Oh yes, congratulations on getting your stuff.

John

In the past I've always bought stuff direct from Coopercraft, but I placed an order (the first one I've placed through the website) last Friday (25th July) and received an email response confirming the order. Later that day I received another email telling me the order's been despatched. I hope to find it waiting for me when I get home.

If anyone's having problems, don't assume it's the suppliers fault, there are an awful lot of other people involved in the delivery chain, especially if the order's being sent overseas, and it's quite possible that one of these carriers has mislaid the items.

Phil

Just to let people know the items were waiting for me when I got home, so I'm happy with the service.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

To follow on from my whinge earlier, I called Paul today, and he told me the only issue holding up shipment was whether I needed EM or P4 wheels.  That question answered he said he would post the kits.

Again this underscores the effectiveness of a 2 minute phone call rather than repeated emails.  It still begs the question why some traders have an aversion to replying to emails.

John

I placed an email order with a different trader recently, and not having heard anything, called him. He found my email in his junk mail.

If Paul is getting as much junk mail as I get at work (I mean, who really thinks I'm going to respond to emails about peni* development on a school email account!), he may easily miss something.

Just a possibility why he didn't respond to emails.

Phil

I suppose it's down to the ISP.  I used to get hundreds a day and then, suddenly, almost nothing - ISP filter at source I wonder.  I still get a handful but my spam filter catches most.  Anyway, the take away is "don't rely solely on email".  That goes for work (which I don't do anymore :beee: ) too, no substitute for a phone call or hallway meeting.

John

Again this underscores the effectiveness of a 2 minute phone call rather than repeated emails.  It still begs the question why some traders have an aversion to replying to emails.

John

Of course you did take the opportunity while actually having his attention on the phone to ask him if he had actually received your email!

It may not be "an aversion" but simply that it was never received. We all seem to believe that clicking the Send button actually means delivery AND read - often assumed to be the same instant.

But I can understand an aversion to email, I have a similar aversion to the telephone. Sorry I stopped jumping to a command over 40 years ago. I pick-up only to identified callers, but then I no longer run my own business.

It is good to hear that this business is turning a corner and coming back from the brink.

I agree about the phone Kenton.  I haven't got voice mail and I find I'm getting quite snappish when telemarketers call (especially those calling from India and claiming to be with Microsoft), despite being brought up proper.  I may be the last person in the country that doesn't have a cell phone.

John

I agree about the phone Kenton.  I haven't got voice mail and I find I'm getting quite snappish when telemarketers call (especially those calling from India and claiming to be with Microsoft), despite being brought up proper.  I may be the last person in the country that doesn't have a cell phone.

John

What, no offers for 'duct cleaning'? We've had a spate of calls lately for just such rubbish so I've taken to leaving the answering machine on to screen calls.

Cheers,

David

To follow on from my whinge earlier, I called Paul today, and he told me the only issue holding up shipment was whether I needed EM or P4 wheels.  That question answered he said he would post the kits.

John

So basically, you placed an order that he was unsure of something on.

Did he email you?

No.

He let your order sit in limbo because he could not be bothered to clarify something.

A novel idea would be to modify the web site to allow for wheel options if it is such an issue.

I'm sorry, that is not an excuse, that is pathetic. I have never dealt with any other supplier who operates in that way. Some may be slow because reality intrudes or they have a problem - but they let me know about that.

I have a few Blacksmith toplights I would like to get and maybe even a second Barnum at some point, possibly even a six wheel coach or two (which are currently available). Also a few more Coopercraft wagons.

But there is no way on earth that I am going to put my credit card details into the system of a supplier when I know I may be chasing my tail in two years time.

Seriously, lift your game.

Craig W

• RMweb Premium

John

Hi John

Are the Microsoft calls to tell you your computer has a problem? My friends 15 year old son took one such call. He let them waffle on for a while then explained to them he was grateful that they had informed him the computer wasn't working properly as he was the burglar and  the computer was no longer worth stealing. :nono: :nono:

• RMweb Gold

Did he email you?

No.

He let your order sit in limbo because he could not be bothered to clarify something.

A novel idea would be to modify the web site to allow for wheel options if it is such an issue.

I'm sorry, that is not an excuse, that is pathetic. I have never dealt with any other supplier who operates in that way. Some may be slow because reality intrudes or they have a problem - but they let me know about that.

I have a few Blacksmith toplights I would like to get and maybe even a second Barnum at some point, possibly even a six wheel coach or two (which are currently available). Also a few more Coopercraft wagons.

But there is no way on earth that I am going to put my credit card details into the system of a supplier when I know I may be chasing my tail in two years time.

Craig W

Wow. I think that's a bit over the top. Have you had a hard time?

Wow. I think that's a bit over the top. Have you had a hard time?

Phil,

I don't think Craig is being unduly harsh. If this was a one off example it would be, but this thread has quite a few stories of poor communication.

Jol

Did he email you?

No.

Craig W

I always prefer to give the merchant the benefit of the doubt but, I have to agree that I've never experienced the like before, and I've been online shopping for railway stuff for years.

I have 13 years of customer/technical support at a "major aircraft engine manufacturer" and one of the best ways to keep customers happy (or at least less unhappy) is to let them know what's going on.

John

There are a mixture of good reports and bad reports on this thread. Why do the bad ones seem to automatically assume it's Cooper-Crafts fault that thy haven't received their goods. If they have sent emails and there' are problems, perhaps the emails haven't arrived. If the Cooper-Craft website is being hosted by an external company, there could be all sorts of reasons why the order hasn't gone through. Theoretically things related to IT will work perfectly, those of us in the business will tell you that theory is a particularly arbitrary affair.

Unless you have 100% proof that the suppliers are useless, have a touch of lenience when writing about them: one day they may be the people you want to buy goods from, and if you've slagged them off too publicly, they may just tell you where to poke your order, and that just may be your fault!

Phil

Brossard,

Agree totally and that is why i put my post up.

I live in Australia and have been buying via mail order and more lately via the internet since the mid 1980s.

In that whole time I have never been dudded by a trader.Nor has a parcel been lost. But these dramas have been going on with this company for several years now. I know the problems shops are having getting supplies (discussed with them) and I know the pain some local mates have gone through trying to get things delivered (still unsucessfully).

As stated, I have a bit of a list of things I want to buy but I am not prepared to take the risk or experience the frustration.

Please let us know when the parcel actually arrives too!

Sometimes you have to cal a spade a spade.

Craig w

I think I take the view that the ordering, payment and shipment process shouldn't require multiple emails and phone calls from the customer as routine.  It should be happening seamlessly.  Yes, there are one man band operations out there and I'm sympathetic to what must be overwhelming at times, so I'm prepared to cut a little slack.

I'm also prepared to put with a certain amount of aggro when trying to get things I REALLY want and can't get anywhere else.

There's something I learned during a customer relations course called "moment of truth".  When the customer first meets a merchant, that first impression will colour the relationship from then on.  If the first impression is positive, then the follow on encounters will also be seen in a positive light, even when the merchant does mess up.  If that first encounter is negative, then everything else will be seen negatively and even when the merchant does a good job, the customer might think "well that's an aberration, he'll screw it up next time".  You only get one chance at a first impression.

Reputations take years to build but moments to destroy.

Here endeth the sermon.

I will advise when the parcel lands on my doorstep.

John

FWIW, being the trusting soul that i am I tend to initially email shops/manufacturers etc.

If I get a response fine, if not I phone.

Saves a lot of time and heartache in my book.

Bit of money on skype and you get the benefit of a one on one conversation, learn if there is going to be any holdups etc.

Khris

Hi John

Are the Microsoft calls to tell you your computer has a problem? My friends 15 year old son took one such call. He let them waffle on for a while then explained to them he was grateful that they had informed him the computer wasn't working properly as he was the burglar and  the computer was no longer worth stealing. :nono: :nono:

I let them rabble on letting them think I do not know what I am doing. They carefully tell me about all the Windows error messages my PC is sending ttem and how dangerous it all is. They ask me if I have the Windows logo on screen yet. My reply is 'no it says LINUX' and for some reason they put the phone down!

Mike Wiltshire

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Coopercraft have the Cornoation Box Set in stock?

I ask because I want to order some in the next few weeks (one for Coronation set and one for West Riding set) but dont want to order unless I know they are in stock?

I did send a message through the online system but suspect a spam bot swallowed it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Missed your post Steve - apologies. :senile:

The devil and his minions will be searching out their woolly jumpers and hot water bottles tonight - my packet from Coopercraft arrived today :O.

Now that I know the trick - to phone if there seems to be a delay or problem, I may order something else.

John

Archived