News from Cooper Craft/Blacksmith/Slater's/Kirk LNER/Mailcoach Kits.

Kits from Somerset

• RMweb Premium

Well they are still listed on the Cooper Craft website but see all the posts above .....

http://cooper-craft.co.uk/Pages/1/Home.html

At exhibitions, he only has the plastic mouldings, not full kits. Be warned, certainly none of the lost wax castings which help to make these kits stand out in a crowd.

Just fell upon this by happenstance -

His company is going down the tubes, and he's selling off what stock he has left at the shows he can afford to attend.

Rumors were Dave Cleal(Mainly Trains) had a bout of Cancer a while ago, and it was published that the

business would be wound-down.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm afraid I need to add another to the number of caveats on here.

Before Christmas I tried emailing this supplier with regard to a 50' LNER Brake. I wanted to check (as there is no information on the site) what was included in the price of the kit, and the availability. I received no reply to the email. As a two hour window ( 2-4 weekdays) is suggested as the only time for a phone call it is all but impossible for me to fit with this supplier's limited communication options. So, I decided (despite the concerns mentioned here) to order the vehicle and see what turned up. I ordered on the 9th January, my money was taken and a confirmation received from the transaction. Since then I have had no notification of dispatch, so I managed to find a bit of time to ring at 3pm today.

To paraphrase the conversation

I was lucky to get him as he has turned his computer off and is about to go to get ready for a show

No, my order has not been dispatched

No, he has no idea when it might be because there are no roofs available and the machine is broken

He does realise it's wrong to take people's money when he cant fulfil an order but that's the way the system is set up

He advises that people check availability before ordering

He does not advise the use of email to do so.

Yes OK  seeing as how he cant fulfil my order or tell me when he might, he will refund my money. It won't be until next week though, because he's off now.....

I am sorry, but either this is a retail operation or not. If it's intended as a retail operation, a service has to be provided and distance selling regulations complied with.

Thinking of ordering? My advice is don't, sorry.

He does realise it's wrong to take people's money when he cant fulfil an order but that's the way the system is set up

I do hate excuses like that when it comes to IT systems. If it's his computer system (which includes a 3rd party system he's paying to use), then the problem is still his to resolve. 

• RMweb Gold

I was going to say serves you right for ordering a LNER vehicle but this sounds seriously shoddy customer service.I'm sorry but in this day of age having a website but not replying to emails but still taking your money is well out of order whatever the system.

This guy would be better listing what he has with a full accurate description on ebay as a Shop listing .I do this and it works well .Of you pay fees which i know rubs some people up the wrong way but a few fees and better than a lot of hassle ,flak and  pin sticking in effigys and the CC companies take merchant fees anyway . .Ebay works if you let it .Its no longer an auction site really more yer international  sales site .Of course this might well be too simple .In my ebay shop I just stop listing stuff I havnt got and relist when I can .I want a LNER driving  brake but wont bother untl Hornby makes one which shows how little faith I have  Coopercrafty .

Another tale of CooperCraft supply.

On 28 December I ordered, to quote from the confirmation email I received:

1 x 2005 Workmen's Set of Tools X 3 () = £2.50
1 x 460113 LSWR Gates (2 Pairs of 3 Types) () = £3.00
1 x 2006 GWR Platform Trolleys X 3 () = £2.50

All these were shown as in stock on the online ordering system and payment was made (as requested) by Paypal. To date, nothing has arrived. It is also particularly annoying that , on further research, I find that these are available though at least one retailer.

I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

Referring to Colin's post #259, the "machine is broken" excuse has run it's course. If you are in business to manufacture things, then keeping the machinery working/getting it fixed would seem to be of paramount importance. I fear that most of the products that Paul has taken into the Coopercraft range, such as the Slaters wagons, will be lost for good. 

....and that's why I only buy what I can see on his stand at shows.

It speaks volumes when even a noted semi-trader like Jol (who does all the work on the LRM show stand while John sits back and watches the money roll in....not) can't get his purchases out of a fellow trader.

Takes years to build a reputation. Takes seconds to destroy it.

Well it is coming up to 2 years since I placed an order. It is still sitting as pending in the My Orders section on his website. Now I don't know if his machines are actually broken but after 2 years you would expect them to be repaired or replaced. In any case if the proprietor is taking money for goods which he knows are not going to be available in a reasonable time those items should be removed from his lists. Does anyone know what the UK trade practices have to say on this sort of thing?

• RMweb Premium

Well it is coming up to 2 years since I placed an order. It is still sitting as pending in the My Orders section on his website. Now I don't know if his machines are actually broken but after 2 years you would expect them to be repaired or replaced. In any case if the proprietor is taking money for goods which he knows are not going to be available in a reasonable time those items should be removed from his lists. Does anyone know what the UK trade practices have to say on this sort of thing?

That would be a meter for the local trading standards.... who will probably be stretched at the moment with local government cut-backs.

Small claims court might be the way to go. You can do it on-line these days.

As I understand it, the moulds for at least one of the ranges he acquired don't "fit" his moulding machine and his attempts to adapt them/it have been unsuccessful.

However, that shouldn't affect all his products or etched items such as the Blacksmith kits. Which makes the non delivery of my order of bits both puzzling and annoying.

I think it will only be a matter of time before some one reports him to Trading Standards, which will be a sad day for our hobby.

I'm not doing it.  I'll give him a ring and see what's going on with this wretched machine. I spoke to him in November and he said he was going to take drastic measures with it but I didn't venture further into what that involved.

• RMweb Gold

It must take an impressive amount of brass-neck to go to shows, knowing that frustrated customers may be lurking in the crowd, and might be tempted to take unilateral action to redress their grievance.

In 2015, a firm that doesn't honour online sales - almost before all others - may have a sticky future.

It must take an impressive amount of brass-neck to go to shows, knowing that frustrated customers may be lurking in the crowd, and might be tempted to take unilateral action to redress their grievance.

In 2015, a firm that doesn't honour online sales - almost before all others - may have a sticky future.

Society today is much more brazen than it used to be.

I'm not doing it.  I'll give him a ring and see what's going on with this wretched machine. I spoke to him in November and he said he was going to take drastic measures with it but I didn't venture further into what that involved.

So that's about three years of 'machine' excuses. Colin's post says he's still blaming it in January ( from November)

Dead loss comes to mind - just a pity that many of his kits are those I need.

• RMweb Gold

It's a real shame that these are kits for which there is clearly a market which are being wasted by being the possession of someone who cant get himself organised to meet a demand.

Ian, having spoken to the man I think the brass neck thing does not apply. In the words of Sir Humphrey in "Yes, Minister" that would be to confuse lethargy with strategy. Walter Mitty is closer.

The salters range is one of my favorites. Quick simple construction and good results. Its a shame it, and all other ranges are as good as gone. I can understand problems come up in the business world, but being a well known name in your field, having tons of loyal customers following you, and then ignoring them, taking their money, and leaving them in the dark is no way to run a business you want to be around for another few years.

Though I havent had contact with him personally, his actions have impacted my modeling, as well as all of ours.

I say someone chimes up and reports it. Yes it would be disappointing to see it go down, but we cant let this kind of action pave the way for other manufacturers. A well respected company has to respect its customers.

Don't know how long this has been on the Cooper Craft website front page. ...

Due to some of the Cooper Craft, Mailcoach, Kirk & Slater's have been out of stock due to a problem with my machine, it will be best for you to place your order but not pay for it at that time. I can let you know when back in stock before you pay for it.

Archived