RMweb

Dapol class 86

HSTcallum

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Dapol released Mk3 coaches with correct Mk3 DVTs and Class 86 locos.  They released simple, stand alone cheap catenary to go with this.  Class 87s and 90s are available from Farish.  To me, this is a huge advance on what was availabvle before. 

But it seems this is not enough.  Some seem to be saying that unless a full set of current standard models, and catenary gantries in various configurations, are available then they won't buy anything.  Is this realistic?

The only way to encourage manufacturers to start releasing more electric models is to buy the ones that are out there.  On our club layout we operate 86s and we use the Dapol catenary posts.  They look good, to my eyes.  The gantries are built from N-brass or Statesman kits.  We run a Pretendolino because we don't have a Pendolino.  If better RTP products come along later we may upgrade, but for now they are better than nothing.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi all,

Dapol released Mk3 coaches with correct Mk3 DVTs and Class 86 locos.  They released simple, stand alone cheap catenary to go with this.  Class 87s and 90s are available from Farish.  To me, this is a huge advance on what was availabvle before. 

But it seems this is not enough.  Some seem to be saying that unless a full set of current standard models, and catenary gantries in various configurations, are available then they won't buy anything.  Is this realistic?

The only way to encourage manufacturers to start releasing more electric models is to buy the ones that are out there.  On our club layout we operate 86s and we use the Dapol catenary posts.  They look good, to my eyes.  The gantries are built from N-brass or Statesman kits.  We run a Pretendolino because we don't have a Pendolino.  If better RTP products come along later we may upgrade, but for now they are better than nothing.

cheers

Ben A.

I agree 100% Ben. I have been modelling French N for 35 years and used electrics with masts but no catenary wire. With the introduction of good quality modern locos and multiple units I have started on a completely new layout which can run in French or British mode. Pretendolino, class 86/90, Wrexham push pulls and Class 350s are all excellent for the British days. No what about thatb 4CEP without a 3rd rail?.....Drat!

Mike

Edited by mikeharvey22

• RMweb Premium

I do agree Ben, and I own four 86s myself, merely suggesting that as Dapol made constant promises about upcoming catenary, coaches etc that could well have damaged sales, with folk waiting for those promised models.

Somewhere in this thread are people saying they wouldn't buy powered models until the dummies came.

• 4 weeks later...

was wondering today whether Dapol have full rights to use the tooling they produced for the 2 x C&M Models limited BR Blue editions with the cleaner front ends (no high intensity headlights) and whether they may spawn new versions maybe in early executive/mainline liveries, anglian, heritage blue, etc. or whether thats the end of anymore Dapol 86s? 

The arrangement for the Blue Class 86s I commissioned was that I had a rolling 2 year exclusivity to the livery, there was no mention of the tooling.

"City of Carlisle" and "Glenfiddich" was released in May 2010, so Dapol could not do a BR Blue version for themselves, or anyone else, until May 2012. Had I then done a 2nd series within that time, the 2 year period would have been reset for when the 2nd batch came out. Obviously that never happened.

Therefore, as things stand, Dapol are able to use whatever tooling and livery they wish which related to the C&M Models 86s, as per our agreements

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but does anyone know where I can obtain some RCH? jumper cables for the class 86/4 Dapol have produced. I know they have the TDM cables but the seem a bit nude without the rest of the plumbing!

Cheers

Mark

There are no commercially available RCH multiple working parts currently available. I have, in the past carefully carved some from surplus Class 87 bodies and used those with a bit of thin fuse wire...albeit with mixed results.

Perhaps another path is to look in the 'bits bag' that comes with most recently issued diesels and use/modify those that best fit the profile.

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

• 4 months later...

Way back in February 2017 Dapol announced a further four new liveries for their excellent N gauge Class 86. These will be available in both DCC ready and DCC Fitted. The new liveries announced are:

2D-026-001/D    Secro Caledonian      86401     "Mons Meg"
2D-026-002/D    Electric Blue               86259     "Les Ross"
2D-026-003/D    InterCity Executive    86243     "The Boys Brigade"
2D-026-004/D    BR Blue                       
86216     "Meteor"

Way back in February 2017 Dapol announced a further four new liveries for their excellent N gauge Class 86. These will be available in both DCC ready and DCC Fitted. The new liveries announced are:

2D-026-001/D    Secro Caledonian      86401     "Mons Meg"

2D-026-002/D    Electric Blue               86259     "Les Ross"

2D-026-003/D    InterCity Executive    86243     "The Boys Brigade"

2D-026-004/D    BR Blue                       86216     "Meteor"

So they were announced and now are available? Or just reaanounced?

Chris

So they were announced and now are available? Or just reaanounced?

Chris

As stated in my post it was officially announced in Feb 2017. No one has made an official post about it here and not many are aware. Just thought I'd put it up in the Dapol N gauge Class 86 thread because Thane Of Fife had started a new thread that many people thought was Dapol announcing a OO gauge one because of the title. Just to clear things up and have something for someone to look at I've put up my post.

Regarding the actual models, they're currently in the painted EP sample stage and Dapol are currently reviewing for any corrections.

• RMweb Premium

Surprised they've not re-issued the Swallow livery too, as that always proved popular and has strong residual value.

There were some that lingered, but the worst were EWS, which just have quite a limited usage so not that surprising that commercial appeal was less. FL green hung about too, which is more surprising.

The fact they're only now doing Executive and blue (special editions aside) is madness IMO!

Strange indeed. They asked on their digest what people wanted to see and Swallow came up time and time again, as they flew off the shelves on the first run and now fetch silly money on ebay. For some reason they opted not to run with it!

The timing and co-ordination of their releases is frustrating. This is a prime example, there is currently plenty of stock of Swallow liveried mk3's that could run with a Swallow 86. Yet they've just released a new batch of FGW, Grand Central & EMT mk3's, but you can't get the power cars to go with them...

Hi,

Great news on the 86’s and from a selfish perspective, executive livery suits my timeframe perfectly, especially if they do them with the original TDM’s. Hoping the blue ones come without TDM’s and headlight.

However, I can appreciate the arguments for Swallow versions.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• 2 months later...

Noticed some livery samples on Hattons 'Social Media' page today.

https://www.facebook.com/hattonsmodelrailways/photos/a.290653184288454.71994.217917844895322/1884633768223713/?type=3&theater 

Though hoping those oval buffers (as kindly pointed out by someone else) aren't going to make it on to the production run,

Apparently Dapol have been made aware.

Edited by jonathan452

Interesting they have retooled the chassis to be Next18 compatible instead of 6 pin...hopefully the sign of improved electrical innards on Dapol locos.

Why would the chassis require a re-tool? I'm assuming that only the electrical and DCC socket will need to change and not really re-tooling the chassis

To fit the new decoder board maybe? Next18 is a bigger chip after all, and the PCB on older 86s is certainly squeezed in. Retool or not it’s a great to see continued development of this model, one of their best I think.

• Like 1

Fitting a new PCB for Next18 is evidence of investment which will need to be recouped, that would indicate further batches provided these sell.

Dapol are the masters at getting every last penny out of a model - remember the volumes of 45xx/Ivatt/M7 models that were not DCC ready and got quite cheap in the end before the tooling was life expired - there was a hint of a DCC model in the future.

Intercity executive examples have the wrong TDM cables for the era.

They're the right cables, it's the way they were stowed from locating sockets to just a fabricated location that was changed. They also generally proceeded the square headlights that the model carries.

The dark painted horn grilles look a bit odd, wouldn't it be better to finish them as the cab roof dome and highlight the gaps with a dark wash?

They're the right cables, it's the way they were stowed from locating sockets to just a fabricated location that was changed. They also generally proceeded the square headlights that the model carries.

The dark painted horn grilles look a bit odd, wouldn't it be better to finish them as the cab roof dome and highlight the gaps with a dark wash?

Maybe but shame they didn't do this one with the original TDM's.

To fit the new decoder board maybe? Next18 is a bigger chip after all, and the PCB on older 86s is certainly squeezed in. Retool or not it’s a great to see continued development of this model, one of their best I think.

Ahha! I thought it was smaller. My mistake.