Great Gathering A4 Collection

G-BOAF

Well if Mallard wasn't around earlier this year, what was the model that was in the BRM online review? OK there were two models, the one running was an old R2339 model, but the static one was (possibly) a GG model, or at least had the burnished handrails. It might of course have been a livery sample, together with a box mockup.

It could have been a sample as you suggest,  one thing it wasn't is one of the complete Mallard GG batch that was delivered in September as that was the figment of someone's imagination!

• RMweb Premium

At this (late) stage before Christmas, if Hornby has any control over production slots I'm surprised any of the GG models are being manufactured now. They're sold out and that won't change with another few weeks delay, whereas there are plenty of other models, and Train Sets in particular, that might well sell if available pre-Christmas but do much less well if arrive in the New Year.

Well after a couple of weeks searching for donor locos I have managed to get three locos completed.

No 1 BITTERN USING A MALLARD LOCO AND 1928 CORRIDOR TENDER OFF A KINGFISHER(I think) THAT WAS IN A SET.

post-4401-0-89856800-1385478600_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-31404600-1385478612_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-83882700-1385478623_thumb.jpg

No 2 DOMINION OF CANADA USING 70TH ANIVERSARY SIR NIGEL GRESLEY

post-4401-0-39976000-1385478795_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-20299400-1385478805_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-64190100-1385478815_thumb.jpg

No 3 SIR NIGEL GRESLEY USING KINGFISHER FROM RARE BIRDS SET

post-4401-0-42962600-1385478894_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-75774900-1385478909_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-23235500-1385478922_thumb.jpg

I'm now on with BR green Dwight D Eisenhower using a Sparrow Hawk

Cheers

Ian H

Silverlink

Very nice effort (and MickLNER also)

Couple of points - the roof and tender tops should be black. Double check Great Gathering photos though if you want to act)

Mallard has blue cab roof edges and tender top.

Eisenhower has green cab roof edges and tender top

60009 has green roof edges and black tender top (and odd combination, but I guess works to minimise impact of coal on tender paint.

Personal opinion is that livery coloured roof edges act to accentuate the sleek lines from above, by reducing the 'bulk' of black, so actually the way you've got them is very nice.

Also you need to plaster on some OHL flashes to 4464 and 60007!

I don't know if I dare mention it! but it came off an LMS loco (I think a Scot) My good mate Mike Johnson from our club here in Scarborough did the modifications to it right down to the operating lever and brackets.

Ian

They look great.What transfers did you use as I'm about to do the rename/number my Bachmann A1 in BR express blue.

Thanks

No 3 SIR NIGEL GRESLEY USING KINGFISHER FROM RARE BIRDS SET

attachicon.gifGresley A.jpg

attachicon.gifGresley B.jpg

attachicon.gifGresley C.jpg

I'm now on with BR green Dwight D Eisenhower using a Sparrow Hawk

Cheers

Ian H

Did you change the chimney on it? As the chimney on the Kingfisher from the pack, is a single one from what i can see of it. but still you have done a grand job. I have done a Dwight D Eisenhower and in the middle of putting a Brassmasters kit on on it. The loco is the Mallard green version from the railroad collection (due to the low budget) I have changed the tender on it but need to change the logo on it. As it already has DCC on it i will have no need to go taking the body off so will have no need to worry over knocking parts off, unless it is for repairs that need doing.

Did you change the chimney on it? As the chimney on the Kingfisher from the pack, is a single one from what i can see of it. but still you have done a grand job. I have done a Dwight D Eisenhower and in the middle of putting a Brassmasters kit on on it. The loco is the Mallard green version from the railroad collection (due to the low budget) I have changed the tender on it but need to change the logo on it. As it already has DCC on it i will have no need to go taking the body off so will have no need to worry over knocking parts off, unless it is for repairs that need doing.

They look great.What transfers did you use as I'm about to do the rename/number my Bachmann A1 in BR express blue.

Thanks

Thanks all,

With reference transfers I use HMRS Presfix on the Garter Blue LNER locos and Fox transfers on the BR Blue & Green ones.

Regarding chimneys, yes Sir Nigel Gresley has had a chimney swap (not a job for the faint hearted) and as you say it came as Kingfisher with a single version which I swapped. As I do many renumbering/naming/chimney swaps for people I usually have spares available (but no buffer beams) After renumbering I give the locos a couple of coats of Ronseal varnish mixed four parts matt, one part satin mixed 50/50 with white spirit using an Iwata Airbrush and compressor. Leave for twelve hours and your ready to fix nameplates. I use Fox, 247 or Modelmaster for these.

if you need any help send me private email.

Thanks all

Ian

Mick, how did you do the silver trim?

Bare Metal Foil, cut a strip long enough to add teh stripe in one piece . The persuade it to go around the front curve (just take it slowly) on the Loco,  the foil is self adhesive and conforms very well to the surface.

I glued Microstrip to the underneath of the Tender "footplate" this then correctly lines up both sets of trim on the Loco and Tender, not as Hornby have done with a prominent " Step" effect. Again Foil added after painting the strip Garter blue, nothing you can do about the gap unless you want to glue the body to the footplate which I didnt think would be a good idea if access was ever needed !!.

I just noticed that Jadlam Racing are offering the full set for £1499. It does say it's due in November, and it did allow me to put one in the basket, without any mention of being "sold out".  I did not continue with the purchase.

I suppose this was always going to be the problem as the sets started to sell out on pre orders. I'm sure there are people that will pay this price too!

Silverlink

Very nice effort (and MickLNER also)

Couple of points - the roof and tender tops should be black. Double check Great Gathering photos though if you want to act)

Mallard has blue cab roof edges and tender top.

Eisenhower has green cab roof edges and tender top

60009 has green roof edges and black tender top (and odd combination, but I guess works to minimise impact of coal on tender paint.

Personal opinion is that livery coloured roof edges act to accentuate the sleek lines from above, by reducing the 'bulk' of black, so actually the way you've got them is very nice.

Also you need to plaster on some OHL flashes to 4464 and 60007!

I hadn't noticed the discrepancy in your cab and tender tops Ian. Are you going to correct this? Well spotted G-BOAF.

Bare Metal Foil, cut a strip long enough to add teh stripe in one piece . The persuade it to go around the front curve (just take it slowly) on the Loco,  the foil is self adhesive and conforms very well to the surface.

I glued Microstrip to the underneath of the Tender "footplate" this then correctly lines up both sets of trim on the Loco and Tender, not as Hornby have done with a prominent " Step" effect. Again Foil added after painting the strip Garter blue, nothing you can do about the gap unless you want to glue the body to the footplate which I didnt think would be a good idea if access was ever needed !!.

Thanks Mick.

Is this the stuff.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/190907016383?limghlpsr=true&lpid=102&device=m&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=102

I hadn't noticed the discrepancy in your cab and tender tops Ian. Are you going to correct this? Well spotted G-BOAF.

No Mike as the gentleman I did them for is over the moon with them so I'll leave well alone. If they were my own then I would definately do the mods. Too many other things to do at the moment (don't mention the Pullmans)

Ian

Interestingly they have disappeared off their website. Have they sold out? Or is it a case that maybe Hornby have had a word with them for exploitation?

I just noticed that Jadlam Racing are offering the full set for £1499. It does say it's due in November, and it did allow me to put one in the basket, without any mention of being "sold out".  I did not continue with the purchase.

Think it is a case of wishfull thinking if they are gonna sell any at that price. Modelzone dropped their prices of the collection. That is just just sheer exploitation,

Model Railways Direct have dropped their 'date' for the model, and just have 'December 2013'.

Can we read anything in to this I wonder?

I will not be surprised if this slips into 2014 in all honesty. As noted above Hornby need to prioritise xmas sales, especially train sets and items within the 'gift' budget. The GG orders are not xmas presents, they were ordered originally for May delivery, so there is really no reason to squeeze them out this side of Jan. Disappointing yes, but I will happily be proved wrong.

Hornby have until mid feb, the ‘Great Goodbye’ to get them out before the purpose of the whole set becomes untimely.

p.s. on a humerous note, they could release more next year, sell them as the 'great goodbye' set, marketed as a set of four (UK locos) and a set of two (transatlantic locos)...! Those who get all six get a 1000 Frequent flyer points of your choice to put towards a flight to US/Canada!

Model Railways Direct have dropped their 'date' for the model, and just have 'December 2013'.

Can we read anything in to this I wonder?

I will not be surprised if this slips into 2014 in all honesty. As noted above Hornby need to prioritise xmas sales, especially train sets and items within the 'gift' budget. The GG orders are not xmas presents, they were ordered originally for May delivery, so there is really no reason to squeeze them out this side of Jan. Disappointing yes, but I will happily be proved wrong.

Hornby have until mid feb, the ‘Great Goodbye’ to get them out before the purpose of the whole set becomes untimely.

p.s. on a humerous note, they could release more next year, sell them as the 'great goodbye' set, marketed as a set of four (UK locos) and a set of two (transatlantic locos)...! Those who get all six get a 1000 Frequent flyer points of your choice to put towards a flight to US/Canada!

I suspect 2014 as well.

Edit 18:30

However as an update Hornby's trade newsletter today says the great Gathering collection is due for release during December but there is no dispatch date given.

Also of note Hornby seem to have sold out the Stars that are due, once the dealer allocations are complete there will not be any stock left in Margate. The same applies to the Standard range Duke of Gloucester, although both the railroad range and the Heritage express train-pack will still have stock at Margate.

I have contacted Hornby directly about the delayed GG models and they inform me that they will be released by christmas and at this moment in time they are waiting for the final two to be flown in from China. Which two models they are they didn't say. So all we can do is assume that 4 of them are in the Hornby's warehouse at the moment, but they won't be distributed to the retailers until the other two are here.

Archived