Great Gathering A4 Collection

G-BOAF

You're right.  The tender lettering on Mallard is a right mess.  So obviously at the wrong height when compared to the cabside numbers.  They should line up.

Thank you! at last someone agrees with me and I am no longer the lone crazy voice!

You are being hyper critical G-BOAF but at a full retail if £169.99 you have every right to be critical. They have had plenty of time to get everything correct and they should be nothing less than perfect!

I would point out that aside from my comments on DoC lettering (which I still acknowledge as good), every point I noted has either previously been sucessfully achieved by Hornby (especially lettering position and whistles), or could have with slightly more careful research (OHL positions, but this is really minor and I'm only picking up on it because of Hornby claim that the locos would be as they appear in summer 2013!!).

The question is, will the most significant issues (lettering position) be put right on the next batch, and will spares be made available for those of us who have already forked out?

If this had been Bachmann, I'd say maybe, given they prodcued a new body for a double-chimney Green Arrow. All that is needed are bodies for 4468 and 4464, a tender body for 4468 and some new glazing and a whilstle for 60007

• RMweb Premium

Mallard - sadly, given the purpose of the whole celebration, worst of the bunch, front number too high, touching the lower lamp bracket. LNER lettering on tender too high - my suspicion is that someone, either Margate or China has 'corrected' the LNER lettering to sit in the middle of the slab side of the non-corridor tender. This is incorrect. The lettering was below midpoint, since the non-corridor tenders, being narrow than the Corridors, has smaller raves, and therefore 'taller' slab sides. The lettering is aligned to be in the middle of a corridor tender (from tank bottom to beading), thus should be a little below mid-way on the non-corridor tender Look carefully at any picture of Mallard in LNER livery and LNER is slightly below the middle. Hornby has got this right on EVERY non-corridor detailed A4. Why start getting it wrong now??

I fear that "getting it wrong now" is a consequence of a change in the factory producing the models. Sanda Kan presumably manufactured the earlier versions and with their long experience got these details right, whereas a new factory might make changes without telling Hornby, thinking they were correct, and Hornby didn't pick them up or simply had to accept it or reject the models. Look at the mess whichever factory it was made of the recent Commonwealth of Australia (nameplate and size/position of lettering). At least they're getting better...

Thank you! at last someone agrees with me and I am no longer the lone crazy voice!

I would point out that aside from my comments on DoC lettering (which I still acknowledge as good), every point I noted has either previously been sucessfully achieved by Hornby (especially lettering position and whistles), or could have with slightly more careful research (OHL positions, but this is really minor and I'm only picking up on it because of Hornby claim that the locos would be as they appear in summer 2013!!).

The question is, will the most significant issues (lettering position) be put right on the next batch, and will spares be made available for those of us who have already forked out?

If this had been Bachmann, I'd say maybe, given they prodcued a new body for a double-chimney Green Arrow. All that is needed are bodies for 4468 and 4464, a tender body for 4468 and some new glazing and a whilstle for 60007

The Bachmann comment doesnt make sense ?? The V2 still has the awful original body. As to their A4's no comparison with Hornby.

Mallard and Possibly Gresley available at KMRC in stock

The Bachmann comment doesnt make sense ?? The V2 still has the awful original body. As to their A4's no comparison with Hornby.

I could have been clearer. What I meant was action being taken by companies on manufacturing mistakes (in the case of Bachmann, producing Green Arrow with a double chimney rather than a single chimney. New body was produced. Similarly with recent semi-modified Halls. Yes I know there is no comparison between the aged Bachmann V2 and the magnificent Hornby A4.

Sorry to have introduced confusion.

Thank you! at last someone agrees with me and I am no longer the lone crazy voice!  I would point out that aside from my comments on DoC lettering (which I still acknowledge as good), every point I noted has either previously been sucessfully achieved by Hornby (especially lettering position and whistles), or could have with slightly more careful research (OHL positions, but this is really minor and I'm only picking up on it because of Hornby claim that the locos would be as they appear in summer 2013!!). The question is, will the most significant issues (lettering position) be put right on the next batch, and will spares be made available for those of us who have already forked out?If this had been Bachmann, I'd say maybe, given they prodcued a new body for a double-chimney Green Arrow. All that is needed are bodies for 4468 and 4464, a tender body for 4468 and some new glazing and a whilstle for 60007

Don't Hornby produce a drawing and a spec in Margate defining the exact size, font, style and location of lettering etc?

I can only assume production pressure forces them to accept these errors.

Looking at completed listings on Ebay, at least two people have paid £1500 for a set. £250 per model is a bit steep!

Wonderland models are still advertising all six at full price of £169.99. Still don't know if my order for DOC at £153 yesterday was successful.

I fear that "getting it wrong now" is a consequence of a change in the factory producing the models. Sanda Kan presumably manufactured the earlier versions and with their long experience got these details right, whereas a new factory might make changes without telling Hornby, thinking they were correct, and Hornby didn't pick them up or simply had to accept it or reject the models. Look at the mess whichever factory it was made of the recent Commonwealth of Australia (nameplate and size/position of lettering). At least they're getting better...

This would be my gut feeling as well. I hope its just that Hornby didn't pick up on it. For a 'flagship' release, and a 'product' effectively retailing at £1000, Hornby would have had every right to reject the models.

• RMweb Gold

D o C and DDE pre-ordered last Jan from Gaugemaster .Now on their way via courier. Just been contacted by them to confirm cc details and confirmation e-mail followed within the hour.When I ordered,they were ,frankly,the only retailer who could confirm a secure order. So....now let's see what all the angst has been about.Thus far,top marks to Gaugemaster for fidelity.

• RMweb Gold

Don't think much of the one in the last photo, they've mounted the front number plate and lamp iron too far down the nose and the centre headlamp has been stuck on at a strange angle...

I'd be a little disappointed at having paid full price for 60009, it sadly looks like another of Hornby's 'crumbling edge of quality',

Martin

• RMweb Gold

But it seems that you do get etched brass crests and nameplates,which is a positive step. Quite honestly,apart from the badly-seated front number,from your images I can't see too much amiss.It appears,though,that the accursed tender plug is still with us..WHY,for heaven's sake? Paintwork defects are not obvious.

Let's see what DoC & DDE are like....hopefully,tomorrow.

Try these.  The model's just arrived - so excuse the basic photos taken in darkness.  Initial impressions are that the loco isn't up to Hornby's usual standard.  The paint has minor marking to it and it is obvious that the loco has been quality checked before dispatch.  I can confirm your suspicion of skew front overhead flashes.  The front number appears to to be seated improperly rather than put on upside down.  The printing of the Union crest is a bit iffy - a lot iffy really.  I'm a bit underwhelmed to be honest which is a real shame having bought the loco because I used to live there.  Wonder what the Gresley will be like....

Alastair

Thanks SO MUCH for those pictures. First it confirms the tender at least is correct!

The plates in the pack look like additional plastic plates - certainly the brass looks very paint like - does the model come with both plastic AND etched plates for you to fit?

Finally, as mcowgil has noted, what's going on with the number plate and lamp irons. number mounting aside, they are FAR TOO HIGH UP the smokebox door. I thought the lamp iron was mounted in a moulded recess like the lower lamp irons? Again what is going on. How is one supposed to correct these errors without repainting the entire front end? Looking at MrB's pics, all the other locos also have top lamp irons that are too high.

Jadlam have a set for auction

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-The-Great-Gathering-Locos-R3196-R3197-R3198-R3199-R3200-R3201-Ltd-Edition-/331090497587?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4d16881033

In the link pictures Canada still has the Tender silver strip in the wrong place as per the Hornby Australia version.

No, that's just the Hornby CGI catalogue image, don't worry.

Hi 

There is something wrong with these models in these photo's!.

if this is the level we are going to get from Hornby and paying such high price for them as well , it do's not look good.

My father has ordered the set and when he got today UoSA  he was not impressed at all with it and has sent it back and it was covered in fingerprints.

i think the first one's where made in China and the later one's i think where made in India?.

If i had gone for the set i would have been none to happy with this.

Darren

Just looking at all the BR A4s, it looks to me that Hornby have placed the front number bracket about 4/5 mm too high.

Must admit there appears to be a great number of errors (e.g Mallard cab number and tender lettering not lining up, plus wonky Overhead transfers etc).

Very strange how Hornby have got it so right in the past, and so wrong this time around.

• RMweb Gold

Just looking at all the BR A4s, it looks to me that Hornby have placed the front number bracket about 4/5 mm too high.

Must admit there appears to be a great number of errors (e.g Mallard cab number and tender lettering not lining up, plus wonky Overhead transfers etc).

Very strange how Hornby have got it so right in the past, and so wrong this time around.

I suspect that, plus the delay in getting them to market, are probably consequences of them shifting production and then having new folk get used to the job (plus maybe not giving them an entirely accurate spec to work to??)

Wonderland models are still advertising all six at full price of £169.99. Still don't know if my order for DOC at £153 yesterday was successful.

Would of thought they'd of have taken it off their website by now.

Placed an oder myself yesterday for DOC. Lay awake half the night with buyers remorse for parting with such a large ammount of cash for a model (don't think i've ever spent that much on one model!) which for what i need it for (renumbering and valance removal) any old banger would have done..... Got an email this morning from Wonderland saying that they had too much demand for the model and wouldn't be able to sell me one.

Was quite dissapointed actually as I'd already ordered the Sir Nigel nameplates last night.

Still, i suppose have £175 extra notes to spend over xmas :)

Intresting hearing about the sets of 6 going on eBay. Wonder how much they'll fetch.....

Really feal sorry for the folk who have bought the set only to find out days before getting them that the production's going to be repeated. I would of been furious if i were in that position. lol.

Archived