Great Gathering A4 Collection

G-BOAF

Try these.  The model's just arrived - so excuse the basic photos taken in darkness.  Initial impressions are that the loco isn't up to Hornby's usual standard.  The paint has minor marking to it and it is obvious that the loco has been quality checked before dispatch.  I can confirm your suspicion of skew front overhead flashes.  The front number appears to to be seated improperly rather than put on upside down.  The printing of the Union crest is a bit iffy - a lot iffy really.  I'm a bit underwhelmed to be honest which is a real shame having bought the loco because I used to live there.  Wonder what the Gresley will be like....

DSC_1597_zps879bd7dd.jpg

DSC_1595_zps942b29fc.jpg

DSC_1594_zps130bd489.jpg

DSC_1591_zps2fed49e2.jpg

DSC_1596_zps1e5b55ad.jpg

DSC_1593_zpsbb5c1538.jpg

DSC_1590_zpsde53067b.jpg

DSC_1589_zpsa0da42a6.jpg

DSC_1588_zpseb59ac0a.jpg

DSC_1592_zps78c7a2af.jpg

IMG_2202_zps6005393b.jpg

Alastair

the name plates are below standard for Hornby. I have seen better nameplates than what they have produced for this. I have to say this, I would buy nameplates from Fox-transfers.co.uk as they would look alot better. These plastic things are below.

Would of thought they'd of have taken it off their website by now.

Placed an oder myself yesterday for DOC. Lay awake half the night with buyers remorse for parting with such a large ammount of cash for a model (don't think i've ever spent that much on one model!) which for what i need it for (renumbering and valance removal) any old banger would have done..... Got an email this morning from Wonderland saying that they had too much demand for the model and wouldn't be able to sell me one.

Was quite dissapointed actually as I'd already ordered the Sir Nigel nameplates last night.

Still, i suppose have £175 extra notes to spend over xmas :)

Intresting hearing about the sets of 6 going on eBay. Wonder how much they'll fetch.....

Really feal sorry for the folk who have bought the set only to find out days before getting them that the production's going to be repeated. I would of been furious if i were in that position. lol.

I rang them about it yesterday and was told they had only got three sets and my order was being declined.

But even then they were still available to order on the website.

Got an email later last night confirming the same.

I had a bit of buyers uncertainty after placing the order.

After putting in a pre order for the Great Goodbye version, I've now got a bit of time to decide how much I really want it.

I've already got two garter blue A4's (Mallard and CofA). I might just spend a bit of money at TMC getting CofA put right. Can anything be done about the chrome strip on the tender?

Mallard (75th anniversary version with the same problem) here, they have six if anyone wants one very poorly done IMHO a great shame.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231119618235&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:3160

Re Canada I have used microstrip underneath the soleplate to create the correct position for the chrome strip. You would have to remove the strip of the bottom of the tender body as well. There is a picture of mine using a Mallard body a couple of pages back on this thread.

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that, plus the delay in getting them to market, are probably consequences of them shifting production and then having new folk get used to the job (plus maybe not giving them an entirely accurate spec to work to??)

Which suggests that The Great Goodbye locos, although a little more expensive might actually be a better buy as the decoration errors may be corrected in those batches as the factory has more experience of their production. I have been surprised how many of the Great Gathering locos have become available for sale - perhaps that's what people have thought and, wanting only one set, are cancelling their previous orders in the expectation the next set will be better.

the name plates are below standard for Hornby. I have seen better nameplates than what they have produced for this. I have to say this, I would buy nameplates from Fox-transfers.co.uk as they would look alot better. These plastic things are below.

Why buy Fox nameplates when, as someone has pointed out above, they come with etched nameplates to apply, if you so wish?

P.S. There is no such word as alot, if you must use  this phrase (when much is so much better) then it is a lot.

I'm genuinely surprised no-one has corrected the number plates and top lamp irons on their BR examples yet. Stuff the collectibility, if i'd paid that much for a locomotive that's blatantly incorrect, it would drive me mad.... The same goes for the buffer beam numbers on 19 and 22... and 22's tender lettering

4489 to be photographed in detail on the 25th, when I'm actually allowed to open the box ;) I can see a fair bit of detail painting required - why can Hornby still not get the spectacle plate and ejector pipe cap colours correct or paint the tyres? 

Blackout, I presume you'll be correcting the top lamp iron position on your 4489?

Interestingly, when first built pictures indicate the top lamp iron was indeed higher up the cods mouth, but not practically on the hinge as Hornby have done with these!

Within a few years the lamp iron appears to have moved down a bit. Unless it is just a trick of the light. There are a set of bolts at each side of the Cods mouth. Later pictures indicate the lamp iron in line with these bolts. Earlier pictures (certainly of the silver batch) indicate the lamp iron above the line of these bolts.

I'm working on pics in Peter Townsends book on East Coast Pacifics. Obviously can't post them here!

Cancelling my DoC from Hattons.

I've got some donor locos (Kingfisher), and will do as MickLNER has done with his which with the baremetal strip he uses, looks better than Hornby's offering.

Blackout, I presume you'll be correcting the top lamp iron position on your 4489?

Yes, mainly because the headboard will have to be wedged underneath the bell if I don't ;)

She'll likely be sent off to TMC (or similar) to have etched letters, plates and numbers fitted (I'm not confident enough to cut a section out of the first boiler band, as has been done with the 7 and 9 which they did for me - and I may as well squeeze as much out that £40 as I can). On return, the tyres will be painted (may as well do 19's at the same time), the spectacle plates, ejector pipe cap and other small details will be painted brass, front coupling will be painted silver, cylinder cock pipes will be fitted (on the inner edge of the valances, not in the holes provided under the cylinders), a crew will be fitted, the bell's cylinder arrangement will be scratch built and of course, the top lamp iron will be altered. I have a colour match in an old pot of citadel chaos black that has already been used on No.9's lamp irons (she lost a few of them in transit). I may try and pick up No.8 at some point. EDIT - Forgot to mention i'll try to source the correct whistle too.

Referring to earlier comments regarding brass details, painted tyres and the colour match; (bogie tyres looking a bit tired and have since been repainted)

post-16674-0-73405500-1387559582_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

To redress the Jeremiah syndrome,I have received today....courtesy of an excellent (free) 24-hour courier service from Gaugemaster,examples of D o C and DDE.The only missing bits are the Certs. They do have etched nameplates included,although the bog standard version is more than acceptable on both....certainly far superior to the lamentable cock up on C.of Aus.

The finish on both is excellent.I,for one,am very happy.It only remains for me to attach those bloody infernal tender plugs and track test both,which I shall now leave until tomorrow morning

I feel I had to post this,because the general tone of postings thus far has been negative,indeed,some of it Ill-informed.

I've just picked up my 3 Great Gathering A4's tonight from x2 different shops. Bittern seems to have smear marks on the black smoke box door (cods mouth) and on the tender around the lettering. 

But The main issue here is where are the etched nameplates in the packaging? I have been through all 3 boxes and can't seem to find them on any of the 3 models! Is it obviuos where they are located or are they missing 

Thanks in advance

Warren

I've just picked up my 3 Great Gathering A4's tonight from x2 different shops. Bittern seems to have smear marks on the black smoke box door (cods mouth) and on the tender around the lettering. 

But The main issue here is where are the etched nameplates in the packaging? I have been through all 3 boxes and can't seem to find them on any of the 3 models! Is it obviuos where they are located or are they missing 

Thanks in advance

Warren

There are two polythene bags in the top of the packaging. One contains a pair of wheels on an axle, some brass steam pipes and instructions. The other contains the Great Gathering headboard and the etched nameplates. It tells you to attach headboard with Blu-Tack.

There are two polythene bags in the top of the packaging. One contains a pair of wheels on an axle, some brass steam pipes and instructions. The other contains the Great Gathering headboard and the etched nameplates. It tells you to attach headboard with Blu-Tack.

Thanks Robin, Yeah they're all there :-) I didn't  realise they'd under the the accessories pack which at the time I'd not removed from the packaging :-)

Archived