Great Gathering A4 Collection

G-BOAF

Guest spet0114

Image of display cabinet version,with locos ,now on e-bay at £1499. Down in the jungle,something stirs....

Jadlam Racing are at it again.... :(

Report the listing to ebay as fraudlent (I have). Listing non existent items is fraud. If ?? !! ebay get enough complaints the company should be removed from ebay.

I have done the same. Reported it to ebay as a fraudulent activity. As this is not in stock and not even been announced that items are in the shops hands to send out to the people who bought them. I hope they get closed down and banned from ebay! Their negative feedback within the last month says it all really! 

For anyone who missed out on the Great Gathering A4s and hasn't seen the Hornby 2014 releases thread, Hornby are issuing another set of A4s, this time marketed as the "Great Goodbye".  Details in these links:

http://www.Hornby.com/search/?q=great+goodbye&ProductCategoryID=1470

Entry #2 here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79822-2014-Hornby-announcements/&do=findComment&comment=1264542

I welcome this wholeheartedly.

However, what exactly is the difference between the models? They say they will be reprasentative of how the locos will be displayed at Shildon. Aside from a few more miles on the clock of theworking locos, and doubtless a couple of chips and scuffs here and there which (thankfully) are not being modelled, there will be no difference at all to how they were at York!

OK different box, but I don't consider a box to differentiate the model!

In a nutshell Hornby have basically doubled the production run, albeit in two batches.

Its what they should have done earlier in the year, but basically the 'limited' factor of the limited edition has just been watered down. Again, great for the modeller, but not totally upfront by Hornby.

That's my only complaint. Hopefully more people will be able to get hold of these fantastic models, and there will be some 'spare capacity' around to replace any QC slip ups!

Why are they (so their website says) selling them as a set again? Would have been better doing a larger run of fewer locos. I'd like a Gresley, but I'm not going to buy the whole set to get it!

Phone up a model shop (try KMRC, Invicta for starters - other retailers do exist), see if they are selling as single locos, and pre-order 60007.

Don't give up before you've tried!

• RMweb Gold

Given the criticism on here of the original collection's limit of 500 units, this can only be good news. 

Unless you are a collector who has bought (and still not got of course) the original set - I hear that some are already expressing their displeasure.  I suspect Hornby will be potentially upsetting several hundred people although as various people have said they will be causing another 500 to smile.  Only goes to prove that in some parts of the model railway business whatever the manufacturer does it will be wrong.

Better hope there's not a "Great coming back again" or that'll be another batch of 500!

Jolly well hope there is, in 25 years time. By which time there will be a new tool A4 to play with (maybe).

Would be a shame to think that come feb, that really is goodbye for numbers 8 and 10. People have said for 40 years they'll never come back, and they have, so I hope there will be another opportunity for the next generation (1 generation = c.20 years)

bit O/T

Unless you are a collector who has bought (and still not got of course) the original set - I hear that some are already expressing their displeasure.  I suspect Hornby will be potentially upsetting several hundred people although as various people have said they will be causing another 500 to smile.  Only goes to prove that in some parts of the model railway business whatever the manufacturer does it will be wrong.

Well, I'm in two minds. On one hand, Hornby have devalued the 2013 release (unless there will be detailed differences, aside from boxes). On the other hand, more people will smile. The number who will be 'very annoyed' will not equate to the full 500+ customers!

Those that will be cheesed off will be the ebay/investment/'collector' crowd. That's part of the risk! The ironic thing is that this has happened before the 2013 models are delivered. They can always cancel.

Personally I think the better option would have been for Hornby to have upped the run of the GG set, but this way technically the of the two batches 'exclusivity' is maintained. Its a tough call. But Hornby have definately done the right thing and I applaud them, even if my models (hopefully to be delivered) are worth slightly less. The net gain for the model railway community as a whole is greater.

I will be interested to hear which set is considred more valuable or sought after in the long run. Answers on a postcard, so I know if I should cancel one and order the other... :-p

• RMweb Gold

Well, I'm in two minds. On one hand, Hornby have devalued the 2013 release (unless there will be detailed differences, aside from boxes). On the other hand, more people will smile. The number who will be 'very annoyed' will not equate to the full 500+ customers!

Those that will be cheesed off will be the ebay/investment/'collector' crowd. That's part of the risk! The ironic thing is that this has happened before the 2013 models are delivered. They can always cancel.

Personally I think the better option would have been for Hornby to have upped the run of the GG set, but this way technically the of the two batches 'exclusivity' is maintained. Its a tough call. But Hornby have definately done the right thing and I applaud them, even if my models (hopefully to be delivered) are worth slightly less. The net gain for the model railway community as a whole is greater.

I will be interested to hear which set is considred more valuable or sought after in the long run. Answers on a postcard, so I know if I should cancel one and order the other... :-p

I think the biggest problem for Hornby will be one of trust among the collector types - having lashed out a grand on something very exclusive they subsequently find it isn't and that is where the distrust starts,  But then equally I bet there are a few who hope this set are sufficiently different - even if it's only the boxes - to spend another grand.  That way they have the ability to answer your question by having both.

I agree the model railway community as a whole does potentially get something out of it - but I suspect that in the longer run Hornby might lose a lot.

Good news that they are finally released.

I assume the great goodbye set is also in Margate?

I noticed DOC has got a painted handrail.

Is that just in preservation?

Did it have a stainless steel or chrome handrail in operation?

Also, have Hornby managed to line up the chrome strip on the tender with the one on the loco?

It was misaligned on Commonwealth of Australia.

Any chance of some pics of what's IN the box (given box pics are still photoshopped!)

Also, do they come with the Great Gathering headboards?

DoC did have painted handrails, and painted tyres, at least she did by the time the bell was fitted. the NRM restoration worked to colour photos of the period.

It may have had a chrome handrail when first built. Some corronation locos did. But from what I can see from photos, Mallard did not, so it is my suspicion that the burnished metal was doncaster giving her a 'send off' when restored in 1963.

The strip on the tender SHOULD BE (if the York mockups are anything to go by), on the edge of the tender chassis, hence more or less in line with the bottom of the skirt.

It is my suspicion that the Great Goodbye sets are part of a follow-on order. Unless this was part of the plan all along, it all sounds very much like Hornby responding to the sucess of the original sets. In which case, with production slots hard to get, I would hazard a guess they are a new order and not yet produced. But happy to be proven wrong!

HTH

Any chance of some pics of what's IN the box (given box pics are still photoshopped!)

Also, do they come with the Great Gathering headboards?

DoC did have painted handrails, and painted tyres, at least she did by the time the bell was fitted. the NRM restoration worked to colour photos of the period.

It may have had a chrome handrail when first built. Some corronation locos did. But from what I can see from photos, Mallard did not, so it is my suspicion that the burnished metal was doncaster giving her a 'send off' when restored in 1963.

The strip on the tender SHOULD BE (if the York mockups are anything to go by), on the edge of the tender chassis, hence more or less in line with the bottom of the skirt.

It is my suspicion that the Great Goodbye sets are part of a follow-on order. Unless this was part of the plan all along, it all sounds very much like Hornby responding to the sucess of the original sets. In which case, with production slots hard to get, I would hazard a guess they are a new order and not yet produced. But happy to be proven wrong!

HTH

GG Union of South Africa 60009

GG Mallard 4468

GG Sir Nigel Gresley 60007

GG Bittern 4484

GG Dwight D. Eisenhower 60008

GG Dominion of Canada 4489

As requested.

Each comes with additional pair of name plates and the GG headboard.

Mr B

Edit: additional info added

Edit #2: better photos

Welcome to the Hornby newsletter...

On 3rd July the National Railway Museum in York celebrated the coming together of the last remaining six Class A4 locomotives under the aptly named title "The Great Gathering".[/size]

The six remaining A4 locomotives are "Mallard", a major resident at the NRM, "Dominion of Canada" on loan from the Canadian Railway Museum, "Dwight D. Eisenhower" on loan from the National Railroad Museum, USA, together with the privately owned "Union of South Africa", "Bittern" and "Sir Nigel Gresley".

All six locomotives returned to the NRM in October and can be seen one last time together at Locomotion, Shildon in February 2014. [/size]

The Hornby Great Gathering Collection includes each of the six locomotives in their respective liveries as seen at the National Railway Museum. When you order all six you will be entitled to claim a specially commissioned glass display cabinet so that the models can be seen as a complete collection.

We have a small number of complete Great Gathering sets available to buy direct from Hornby from tomorrow evening, Wednesday 18th December. Each set of six locomotives will be supplied with matching limited edition certificate numbers.

How to order...

These Great Gathering sets will be sold by telephone only.  The order line will open at 5:30pm GMT on Wednesday 18th December.

Telephone Order Line - 01843 233519

Please note that when you call this number you will be placed in a queue.  Calls will be answered in a first-come, first-served basis.  Telephone lines will not be opened until 5:30pm on Wednesday 18th December - please do not call before then or your call will not be connected.

Once all of the available sets are sold the telephone order line will be closed.

The cost of this set of six locomotives is £999.99.  Details on how to order The Great Gathering display cabinet will be included with each model - a £10 delivery charge will apply to cabinet orders.

There is a maximum of one set per customer.  These models are only available to UK callers.[

As requested, did take some with the flash but the colour looked too vibrant, I can live with the grainy ones.

Each comes with additional pair of name plates and the GG headboard.

Mr B

Edit: additional info added

Fantastic. Very tasty!

I now the right time to ask why exactly 60007 is fitted with a WW2 era Bell Whistle (or looks like it) rather than the Chime Whistles fitted to the rest. If anything The 'odd' whistle should go on Canada. Indeed that might be a solution...!

Generally fantastic though. Shame that the boiler side plaques are printed, especially on 60009 where they should be raised slightly. Also the cabside crest on 60009, while central, is too big, again fixable with a decal, which can be obtained by Fox Transfers with the Sprinkbok plate... (far too much thought given to this!)

Minor gripes aside, looks great. Thanks for the Pics

Andy, you might want to pin the announcement...?

HOLD ON:

Any chance of a front end shot of Mallard and Bittern. I have a horrid feeling the numbers have been printed far too high on the nose...

What a damn shame....

Why oh why can't details like this be got right....?

DoC looks fine, as do the rest. All previous editions of Mallard have been fine...

Happy to be proved wrong with photos.

EDIT:

The cab-side numbers don't look too great either - should be just below the handrails, and they are too low down. Tender lettering too high, but this might be because cab is too low.

Looks like TMC might be needing to do a relettering job.

Again we're talking low-res pics, but something to my eye looks offf.

I've had another look, there are no certificates with the locos, I was in the shop when they were delivered and have the original box, not in that nor the loco boxes, need the cert number to order the display cabinet.

60009 has the boiler side plates too in a bag with the etched name plates.

Mallard Bittern

Just using MS picture manager to shrink the photos below 1mb

Mr B

Fantastic. Very tasty!

I now the right time to ask why exactly 60007 is fitted with a WW2 era Bell Whistle (or looks like it) rather than the Chime Whistles fitted to the rest. If anything The 'odd' whistle should go on Canada. Indeed that might be a solution...!

Generally fantastic though. Shame that the boiler side plaques are printed, especially on 60009 where they should be raised slightly. Also the cabside crest on 60009, while central, is too big, again fixable with a decal, which can be obtained by Fox Transfers with the Sprinkbok plate... (far too much thought given to this!)

Minor gripes aside, looks great. Thanks for the Pics

Andy, you might want to pin the announcement...?

Problem is these are supposed to be collectable series as soon as you start amending the model faults if any its no longer collectable anymore to a serious collector.  Presumably this will relate to a  big loss in residual value.

600009 Springbok is not even close to the bodywork, I was really surprised on seeing her at the NRM how the plaque is mounted.

post-7186-0-16376100-1387310451.jpg

Archived