RMweb

Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Hi Ian! I know I cannot believe how quickly the time has gone either! Although it feels like I have been working on the bloody roof for two years!!....

To be honest I have loved Toton ever since my first visit and thought about modelling it for quite a while, albeit not seriously! But I am determined to get it finished, even if it takes another four years!

Not sure Boxenby is good enough to leave the house if I am honest.

• RMweb Premium

Which bit of "don't be so daft" is difficult to understand! :good:

This is one impressive bit of modelling.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks for the kind comments Cav and Mick, much appreciated.

I cannot remember how the name came about to be honest. The reason I chose not to call it Toton was because it is based on Toton but not an exact replica.

When I first started making the depot shed the only information I had to help was video footage and photos taken from our visit in 1988, "Toton the works" video and then the internet. There are some slight differences between my model and the real thing which were highlighted during my next visit in 2010, but to be honest unless you worked there and have a good knowledge of the depot you would probably not notice.

Once the outside is covered in cladding, painted and weathered and with the depot doors closed, I think it should hopefully be recognisable as a model based on Toton. Hopefully!

Seeing the recent photos of Toton on JeffP's thread makes me want to get my layout finished. I can't wait to see five Original Railfreight 58s in one line stabled. Oh and a mixture of traction parked up outside the front of the shed!

Not sure if im right but isn't the project 58 at Barrow hil in this old livery?

Im going pay a visit this year maybe at the model railway exhibition to have a look.

Ive only ever seen them in the wild sporting the coal sector livery.

Not sure if im right but isn't the project 58 at Barrow hil in this old livery?

Im going pay a visit this year maybe at the model railway exhibition to have a look.

Ive only ever seen them in the wild sporting the coal sector livery.

It was still in fertis last time I was down there. I ought to go look, I like 5 mins drive away. The old railfreight livery eas great on them. I remember sneaking round barrow hill as a kid and there being loads in there!

Hi Ian! I know I cannot believe how quickly the time has gone either! Although it feels like I have been working on the bloody roof for two years!!....

To be honest I have loved Toton ever since my first visit and thought about modelling it for quite a while, albeit not seriously! But I am determined to get it finished, even if it takes another four years!

One and only visit was the Open Day in June '79 - memories are fading but still got the handwritten notes of what was on somewhere -  we went with the ICRS via Guide Bridge Woodhead and Sheffield -  but the day it is quite well documented on various websites - I was sixteen at the time and never been back due to wine women and song etc etc.as they say.......

Better make the most before HS2.

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 1

Hi Ian, very different back then. Certainly compared to Toton today where it is sheds and stored 60s. There must have been copious amounts of peaks and choppers there on that day.

Funny how other interests tend to divert our attention away from trains and modelling.....

Class60lover, yes it is right by the mainline. Not too sure how busy it gets these days.

Back in BR days it used to be very busy, certainly during week days with locos coming on and off the shed.

The Industrial Roof Vents are now ready

Some photos, apologies a few are not great!

12011173916_f268d587b8.jpg

image by AP474, on Flickr

12010643933_e0dffb78e3.jpg

12010357905_e4ae91d7d0.jpg

12010358285_6d27932b1c.jpg

12010714294_23779b74af.jpg

Before anyone asks, I do not have an OCD problem......

Now to get the lead flashing sorted.

• Like 3

Vents look well - kit or stratch?

Just like candles going on a cake - the roof is nearly there then?

Yes 56036 had just been shopped out in Large Logo I had a c marked by it in the book  in fact it was pretty much a cabbing free for all - health and safety just didn't come into it - you also had Penyghent (I think) Class 44 zipping up and down and all there was between the masses was a rope barrier.

Ian

PS:

Just found the old thread with my notebook 

http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45850

Edited by Crisis Rail

Hi Ian, thanks they are a mixture. The mushroom shaped ones are from Unit models and the conical ones are push button caps both glued onto plasticard bases.

I am hoping that once the lead flashing tops have been added to the skylights the roof will finally be finished. It has dragged on a bit.....

Nice, 56036 in Large Logo, lovely! Bet that was good, Health & Safety would have a fit these days with that sort of action!

Excellent, thanks for sharing I remember looking at your thread on the old forum!

I bet it was nothing but BR blue back then.....

To be honest Jeff, I think it is time for me to just admit it!....

A couple of photos showing some of the roof vents placed on the roof:

12014588263_9216231a61.jpg

12014587603_e6c01a2005.jpg

Mate.... that looks awesome to look at, you are doing an excellent job at that, so keep up the hard and timely work...

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, I am glad that you like the look of it so far.

Thanks David.

This afternoon, with the help of Grimley Senior, we started work on the brass strips that will represent the lead flashing.

First the brass was cut into strips

12035793783_b6f7caca09.jpg

The ones shown here are the ones for the skylights that sit above the lathe road

12035889604_6eff40732e.jpg

Then into the bending machine to shape

12036343256_75f5aec603.jpg

Here are the seven needed for the lathe road once shaped

12035528225_24366b61b4.jpg

We also managed to get the ones shaped for the skylights above the through roads 1 to 4

12035796773_a21d974fd7.jpg

Offering them up to see how they look

12036345456_f14bc92a80.jpg

12035892194_f67e66ca08.jpg

12035892914_129832e336.jpg

Hopefully in the week we can get the brass strips for the other two sets of skylights cut and shaped. Then they can all be cut to length and brass wire added to the top.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The level of detail on the roof is fantastic! Mind you, you have little choice to get the roof looking right - you'd be forever kicking yourself if you didn't, plus such a large expanse, it needs to be there!

Keep up the work!

Thanks MM, I totally agree with you, the roof has to look right. It is such a prominent feature that it must look right which in turn means a lot of work! Oh and time....There have been quite a few occasions whilst working on this project that I have not been happy with something and had to redo or start again. If it isn’t right it irritates me and I cannot stop thinking about it, so I have to go back and address it. Must be my OCD.......oh no I don’t have an OCD problem.....

This morning we cut and bent the brass strips for the skylights that sit on the raised roof above the heavy lifting roads 13 to 15. That now leaves the strips for the wide skylights which straddle roads 5 to 12, these will hopefully be dealt with at the weekend. Edging ever closer to the roof finish line....

• Like 1

This is looking really good Alex. You have more patience than me, doing all those roof vents. I would have been seriously frustrated by now. Looks like it will be well worth the effort though. Well done.

Thanks Cav, I am not even sure where I get the patience from! This silly project certainly does test you at times!!.....

Every time I walk passed the depot it makes me just want to play rather than looking at it, or working on it!...still hopefully in a few months time I will be in a position to actually move some locos on shed. Then I will be happy!  

Last night I cut the brass strips for the long skylights ready for bending over the weekend. Hopefully we can then start to add the brass wire too.

• Like 1