Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Hi Alex, i didnt know you were going Trains4u, i was there 10.30 for an hour, would have been cool to have a chat again, are you popping into Barrow Hill on Saturday??

The Lathe looks better and better with every pic, this could be a model in itself

superb mate

Hi Neil, I didn’t get there until about 2 as both my both my boys had football, shame I missed you it would have been good to have a chat. No sorry I couldn’t make Barrow Hill. I am sure we will meet up again at some point.

Thanks for the kind comments I am very pleased with it, especially after some further work this week.

Hi Vac_basher, thanks it is intentional. The drawings that were kindly sent from Hegenscheidt show one pointy and one not.

After obtaining further information about the wheel lathe I have made a couple of adjustments and continued working on the pit floor. This week I have added some extra equipment to the rear of the lathe and put down the chequered plate floor. In between the two wheel lathes I have added a grid which allows the swarf to fall down and be taken to the conveyor belt system and chequered plating.

The protective screen has been sprayed yellow and the chequered plate sprayed steel grey.

A few photos of progress:

866V6633s.jpg

Here you can see the rear of the lathes with the additional equipment added:

866V6638s.jpg

A nice BR blue Romanian grid on the lathe:

866V6641s.jpg

This week I have been conducting further research into the conveyor belt system and the design is pretty much finished. Today I made a start and built the yellow box (not sure what you call this particular piece of equipment!) which sits at the end of the chequered plate and this is where the swarf gets placed on the conveyor belt system. I am hoping to make a start on the conveyor belt this week.

• Like 4

Today I have sprayed the box that sits at the end of the chequered plate that contains the equipment which takes the swarf from below the floor to the conveyor belt system, yellow. Hope that makes sense!

Here you can see it sitting in position:

866V6642s.jpg

Sitting under the track:

866V6644s.jpg

This afternoon I made a start on the conveyor belt system, first off the long section which sits along the side of the wall just adjacent to the wheel lathe road:

866V6646s.jpg

Then the short section which takes the swarf up from the pit to the long section:

866V6648s.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Alex,

Dont want to sound picky, but the conveyor goes 'south' towards the end with 1-4 road doors, rather than the 'north' end (with 1-15 roads). When is the depot set? Ive found this photo in 1984 with no conveyor, but a well loaded swarf skip.

This photo dated 1990 shows the conveyor sticking out (to the right of the shunter) and over the skip.

Hope Im not sounding picky, just want to steer you in the right direction!

Cheers

Daryl

Hi Daryl, many thanks for pointing that out, the parts were just lined up for a photo. As you can see from the background the board is in a bit of a mess at the moment! Don’t worry you are not sounding picky at all, any help and information is always very much appreciated.

The plan is to model the depot during the period from 1988 to 1992, the former allowing 45s in their last year of service and the latter allowing 20s, 31s, 37s, 47s, 56s, 58s and 60s to be seen on shed, a nice variety!

Hi Grimley,

Just to say you have a fantastic looking layout! If only I had the room...... As a fellow TMD modeller I will be following this with interest. It would be fantastic to see this one on the exhibition circuit. Keep up the great work!!

James

Hi Daryl, indeed no need for 66s at Boxenby!

Thanks James glad that you like it so far.

Well after looking at my conveyor belt system I was not entirely happy with it and after looking through some photos of the prototype it became clear that a mk2 version was to be built. Work commitments at the start of the week meant that no modelling could be undertaken although this allowed time for further research and contemplate the new design. After studying the photos again the design for the mark 2 was finalised and construction began.

Here are a couple of photos of the mk2 conveyor belt system, first the part that brings the swarf from the pit:

866V6665s.jpg

The long section which sits down the side of the wall adjacent to the lathe road:

866V6668s.jpg

A photo showing how they go together:

866V6671s.jpg

The conveyor belt system in position:

866V6653s.jpg

866V6655s.jpg

A couple of different views:

866V6657s.jpg

866V6658s.jpg

Next I need to tidy it up a bit and then add the rollers and belt plus the support girders.

Then off to the paint shop to be given a nice coat of yellow.

Edited by Grimleygrid
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That's coming along very nicely! Will look even better when painted and everything weathered! I can almost smell the oil! I don't know how these operate, but assume that a lubricant is sprayed onto the wheels to wash away the swarf and would therefore end up everywhere. Keep up the good work.

Excellent research and modelling. - The swarf conveyers we have in the Aircraft industry (what is left of it) are air (fan) suction for high capacity aluminium removal.These tubes go to external skips as at Toton but much larger.Are the Toton versions air drawn as I cannot see paddles or screw coil being used to transfer along that long length of ducting.

Air drawn suction would be largly uneffective for steel swarf unless the draw pressure is extremely high - I would like to witness it if it is the case!

Brilliant modelling of the lathe - how will it be viewed in all its glory if it is always undercover though?

Ian

That's coming along very nicely! Will look even better when painted and everything weathered! I can almost smell the oil! I don't know how these operate, but assume that a lubricant is sprayed onto the wheels to wash away the swarf and would therefore end up everywhere. Keep up the good work.

Flood coolant? - to extract heat and wash swarf chips away - It gets everywhere - It used to be Mineral Oil of a milky consitency now Plant based oils have been developed.

Hi Alex,

Its nice to be back online and catch up with your progress. The wheel lathe is an incredible piece of modelling and looks really good - it looks like it should be fully functional with DCC sound added as well! It really is going to be a very impressive depot when its all finished but I am enjoying watching this come together.

Keep up the good work,

Mark

Hi Alex.

The swarf conveyor is looking the business. Looking forward to seeing it painted and weathered.

I thought you might like to see this.

A poster from a Boxenby Depot open day, back in 1979.

The cost of an entrance ticket (including a jam-packed DMU from Nottingham - 1GBP).

God knows how much I paid for the poster? 10p maybe?

The amazing thing is that I was only 13 at the time and although 4 of us made the trip up from St. Albans, the eldest was still only 14 years old.

I don´t think my wife would let our 14 year old son out on a trip like that these days.

post-7244-0-18523300-1317214743_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Daryl, glad that you like it!

Hi Lewis, thanks it is not exactly the same but a good enough representation I think. Hope fully once sprayed yellow it will look better.

I don’t know about that, my modelling is not that good!

Hi and thanks MM, yes it will make a difference once painted and weathered. I have to say that unfortunately I do not know about the operation of the lathe so cannot comment.

I am sure it must be dirty and oily around that area!

Thanks Ian, I am not entirely sure how the whole system works. I presume motors drive the conveyor belt which takes the swarf from the pit along the side of the shed and then out the back to the waiting skip. Will let you know when I find out!

My wife keeps asking me why I am bothering to go into so much detail when you will never ever see it!! She is actually right because even when the lathe road door is up, although you can look in and get a glimpse of the top of the lathe you can’t really see much at all! But hey at least I know that it is there! If you lift off the roof section which sits above the lathe road then you will be able to see it.

Blimey the ones in your industry sound impressive, quite glad I do not have to model them!

Thanks Mark, good to see you back online. Hope the move went ok. I have heard that the lathe is quite noisy when operational.

Excellent work Andy, I missed that open day! 50p entrance fee, bargain!! Can you imagine how much it would cost these days to attend a depot open day?!!

I remember going out and about to Birmingham and Bescot, up to Glasgow and Edinburgh and I was only 13/14. I agree with you, my eldest is just 13 and there is no way that we would let him do the same!

Ess1uk, as mentioned above we used to go out on trips too. I am beginning to think that my parents were mad but were things different in those days I am not sure. Don’t really want to start a discussion on that subject/topic! I have to admit though the trips out were very enjoyable!

After browsing through several layout threads on here and seeing some great modelling including locos on shed, I have decided that I really need to start seeing some progress. Although I have actually been doing some modelling which recently has been working on the wheel lathe, I am starting to get a bit frustrated at not really seeing much progress. Perhaps I am being too impatient!

As the weather was nice yesterday providing the opportunity to get outside and do some spraying before the weather turns, I decided to get the inspection pits out for a top coat of matt white. So yesterday afternoon the pits were taken outside and given two coats of matt white:

866V6707s.jpg

My plan is to get them weathered and glued in position over the next few weeks. Then I can make a start on getting the platforms painted and weathered and the floor down. Hopefully after getting those jobs done I will feel that progress has actually been made!

I have managed to get a bit more work done on the conveyor belt system with the support legs for the long section now made and ready to be glued on. Hopefully this week I can get the conveyor belt in position, support legs on and then get the whole thing painted.

• Like 1

Hi Alex.

The swarf conveyor is looking the business. Looking forward to seeing it painted and weathered.

I thought you might like to see this.

A poster from a Boxenby Depot open day, back in 1979.

The cost of an entrance ticket (including a jam-packed DMU from Nottingham - 1GBP).

God knows how much I paid for the poster? 10p maybe?

The amazing thing is that I was only 13 at the time and although 4 of us made the trip up from St. Albans, the eldest was still only 14 years old.

I don´t think my wife would let our 14 year old son out on a trip like that these days.

post-7244-0-18523300-1317214743_thumb.jpg

Was at this in '79 as a 16yr old....!

An excellent day still have the paper programme somewhere - We got behind a split box 40 40132 Preston via Manc Vic Sheffield and Nottingham bashed as usual head out of the front carriage.

Always remember 56036 and 44008 ex-works giving cabrides along an unfenced section no H&S.Open Days here a thing of the past? - apart from DRS at Gresty and Kingmoor?

Sorry for hijacking Alex.

post-7252-0-82346900-1317639002.jpg

post-7252-0-40676700-1317639039.jpg

post-7252-0-55877300-1317639056.jpg

• Like 1

i wouldnt worry Alex, what you are building is a superb task and i think your cracking on well with it.

i think everyone who takes up this hobby must get a bit impatient and feel there not progressing.

You keep plugging away mate your doing a superb job.

No need to apologise Ian I find it very interesting, thanks for sharing the information. There was some nice traction at the open day. I still have the notebook from my visit in 1988 which I found earlier this year.

I have been wondering if anyone has any TOPS lists for back in 1988/1990/1992 for 20s, 56s, 58s and 60s which would be interesting. Although I do have my list of locos which were present on the 20th of February 1998 it would be interesting to see what was about around that time. Thinking about it TOPS was not as easily accessible back then so perhaps that sort of information is very rare.

Thanks Neil, if I had modelled something like Peterborough then I could have been finished by now! I will keep plugging away and hopefully over the next 6 months will make some decent progress!

The long section of the conveyor belt now has leg supports and I am hoping to get the rollers and conveyor belt in place before spraying the whole thing at the weekend.

Yesterday a couple of DVDs arrived from Electra films which included footage from visits to Toton in 1990 and 1992 with 20s, 31s, 47s, a nice variety of different liveried 56s, 58s and some very new looking class 60s. Just how I plan to model my depot, quality!

There was even a 156 on the wheel lathe!

The DVDs also inluded footage from the Midlands in 1990, 1991 and 1992 with 20s on MGRs, 31s on tanks, 56s and 58s on coal and one of my favourites the Lakenby to Corby coils with 60s on the front, superb! I would thoroughly recommend these DVDs to anyone like me that likes this period.

Back to modelling, I have bought another Peco inspection pit which has been primed and given a top coat of matt white. This will be used as a test bed for weathering and this week I plan to come up with a method ready for me to tackle the 15 inspection pits!