Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Thanks Peter, it has been hard work and at times rather frustrating testing my patience to the max! But I am glad that I spent time working on it and pleased with the results especially as it is very prominent.

The class 20 fleet is only up to 6 so still a few short. Control will be frantically searching for other traction! Good idea, I think I may still have a couple of old Lima machines. I think those snow plough fitted choppers last seen at Llanbourne may well be off to Boxenby soon for exams! :D

Hi Alex,

The blue grid looks quite at home sat outside the shed,B) sounds like a worthwhile and fun members day.

My 20s are well and truly overdue an exam have you seen the state of them, Looks like a mega LE move could be the go.:D

Cheers Peter.

Shame about 56040, I will not be getting one for South Wales now knowing its a preserved version !

Where is the sense in that Hornby? How many people are modelling a preserved railway that has a 56 on it I ask you?

Very disapointed.

Hi Alex,

It is really looking very good now - the photos looking down through the engines with all the metalwork added inside really does create the right look about the whole place. You certainly have some paitence to add all that. Nice to see the loco fleet growing. If you end up with sound in too many of those 20's idling away on shed you'll need to have ear protection to operate the layout! I only have one DRS 20/3 with sound and it was loud enough on its own even in show conditions!

Keep up the good work,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Shame about 56040, I will not be getting one for South Wales now knowing its a preserved version !

Where is the sense in that Hornby? How many people are modelling a preserved railway that has a 56 on it I ask you?

Very disapointed.

Particularly as it's also been scrapped now! :rolleyes:

Hi Alex,

While I was looking for something else, (large logo 37 pics ) I found this one I took on a visit to Toton, not sure if I have posted it before. I am guessing this is near where your blue Grid was parked up the other day.:drinks:

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-72549400-1310216783_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Ian, nice to meet you too, hope you enjoyed your visit and had a good journey home. It was good to have a chat about old traction!

I am really pleased with the Blue Grid, used to love the Romanian ones they were my favourite. Could do with a few more! I am still a bit disappointed that 040 will not be making an appearance at Boxenby but hey there we go. As you say it is even more annoying now that it has been scrapped!

Still there is BR blue 56082 to look forward to and hopefully a Large Logo one next year!

Let me know next time you are in the area.

Leon I share your disappointment, it would have been perfect for your layout!

Thanks Mark, sometimes my patience does run very thin indeed! But luckily it held out to get the main metalwork finished. I am very pleased with it, now to get the outside looking good.

I am not sure how it would sound with numerous 20s, 31s, 37s, 47s 56s and 58s idling outside the shed!

Hi Peter, the Members day was excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed it. You will have to attend next year!

I agree those choppers certainly look like they need an exam, send ‘em over!

You are correct the 56 was sat on road 16 which has the lathe on it where the two nearest the building were sat. Thanks for posting the photo of the 20s, I have not seen it before so much appreciated.

Here is my version, not quite the same but you get the idea!

IMG_4734s.jpg

IMG_4740s.jpg

My 20s need weathering!

This afternoon I have been working on shaping the roof sections to fit the shape of the roof. Now that all the outside has been covered with the mdf it is time to work out how much cladding is needed! Hopefully I can get it ordered this week.

Here is how it is looking:

IMG_4756s.jpg

IMG_4749s.jpg

• Like 3

I think I remember you mentioning that the roof will be removable for viewing at shows but how much of the track outside the shed are you intending to model? I can't imagine how many operators it would take to have around 30 locos all busily going about their business in and around this epic! All with sound as well - please post a video when that happens!

Superb overall shot of the depot alex, i dont think you can appriciate the scale of the project until you see that

and the picture recreation looks great, and it also gives others a look at were your heading with the depot.

I think you may need a fair bit of cladding, what product are you going to use?

i hope your going to exhibit this, would be great to see it in the flesh with loads of 20's, 56 n 58s

Neil

Thanks David glad that you enjoy the updates.

Hi Ian, yes the roof sections will be fully removable allowing you to view the inside of the shed. Unless I win the lottery I can’t imagine many will be fitted with sound chips!!

When I visited back in Feb 1988 there were 41 locos outside of the shed which includes the front, rear and fuel lines with a further 26 inside. During our short visit the only movements we saw were a 37 coming off the fuelling point to stable at the front and then a 47 turn up which must have been whilst we were inside. This was a Sunday so not much movement although I presume if it had been during the evening there would have been a lot more activity with locos being prepared and then coming off shed to go and work services.

Looking at videos that were taken during the week there were far fewer locos on shed as you would expect and that is how I plan to model it with locos arriving for fuel/exams, locos moving from outside to inside and vice versa and then locos going off to work services.

The plan is to have the main shed on board number 1 with the stabling sidings at the front on board number 2, then the head shunt where all fifteen roads go into one which will also include a scenic break of a road bridge on board number 3. I also plan to have a small board to the rear of the shed to allow stabling of one loco on each of the through roads 1 to 4.

There will also be a fairly thin board attached to the side of the shed to allow for the fuelling point which will then taper in as the lines fan in from the front of the shed to the head shunt.

I will try and post a drawing at some point to show what I mean. Hope that helps a bit!

Thanks Baggie, hope you and the family are all well. Your sound chipped 37 will have to pay a visit!

Thanks Neil, I am going to use Evergreen Metal siding which I think is perfect. Hopefully once sprayed grey and weathered it should look quite nice.

To be honest I do not think it is up to the standard required for exhibitions.

Not much progress on the shed as I have not ordered the cladding yet so have turned my attention back to the inspection pits. After seeing the superb finish on Shedmaster’s inspection pits it was decided that I too would need to fill in the joins. As they say if a job is worth doing it is worth doing properly!

I thought that I had seen the back of the white filler, file, sand paper and inspection pits but alas not. I think that if this was not done I would look at it later on and regret it, so the through roads 1 to 4 have all had the joins on the inner walls and tops applied with filler. These particular pits have not received any attention since they were glued together.

Yesterday evening I made a start on filing down the filler and hope to get these four plus the one for road 16 done and sprayed with matt white primer over the weekend. Then it is on to the rest of them hopefully next week. This is a job that I have not been overly looking forward to doing but ever since I saw Dave’s inspection pits it has been on the to do list and near the top! Now that I have made a start it actually doesn’t seem so daunting!

• RMweb Premium

To be honest I do not think it is up to the standard required for exhibitions.

Are you joking, from what I've seen so far I reckon there might be one or two of us on here that disagree!:yes:

Thanks for the kind comments but I still think my modelling skills have a long way to go yet before they are anywhere near good enough for exhibitions!

Hi Ian, at times I often think the same when I look at it!

To be honest I am not too worried about the roof as it does not appear to have moved much since it was constructed last year. There is also not much weight pressing down as the roof sections are made out of 2mm MDF which are not very heavy. The cross pieces which straddle the width of the shed are made out of ply wood connected with 3mm square battens for roof support which are also not very heavy. Also the girders which are part of the inspection platforms will also support the cross pieces and in turn limit any sag in the roof. But as you say it is a large surface area so I suppose you should expect a bit of sag and although it is not perfectly level/flat after looking at photos of the real building theirs is surprisingly uneven!

Ian (Artizen), I have updated my layout plan which you can find below. This should hopefully show the different boards, board 1 with the shed on it, board 2 which will hold the main stabling sidings, board 3 the load bank and entrance to the depot and finally board 4 which has the fuelling point.

Track-plan-Jul-11-1.png

I hope that helps answer your question about the track outside the front of the shed.

I have spent the last few evenings working on the inspection pits and hope to have them ready for spraying with primer tomorrow but looking at the weather that might not happen!

As the four through roads have been removed the locos that were sitting on them needed moving to other roads which allowed this interesting line up:

IMG_4761s.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Alex, wow that is one beast of a track plan, and it looks fantatstic, you have alot of work ahead of you.

that line up is pretty impressive too, i should really get myself a 58 laugh.gif

nice job mate

Neil

I have to disagree. This layout is definitely worth exhibiting. Just ask lots of RMwebbers to come along with suitable sound chipped locos to help make it the beast that it should become!

I would imagine a very busy shed with around 40 or more locos all moving and doing things is a definite difference to the more usual TMD or roundy. Probably a nightmare to operate but then just think of it as a challenge! You can't invest this much time and hard earned coins of the realm into this and not show it off.

Hi Neil, yeah it is quite a beast and scares me just looking at it. Not sure what Mrs. Grimley will think of it either!

Get involved, get one ordered they are a nice model. Certainly a huge improvement on the Hornby version! A nice Original Railfreight 58 would look rather nice sat in Deeping Lane shed!

Thanks Ian, perhaps I could take it to member’s day 2020, by then it might be finished! I have made a start on a timetable of coal workings which would have been the majority of the departures/arrivals which on a Sunday evening would have seen a lot of movement. During the day there probably would not be too much activity apart from the odd movement to/from the shed and locos coming in for fuel/exams. Need to decide what day/time to model, perhaps even come up with different timetables to try and operate to. Still, don’t need to worry too much about that just yet, that is quite a way off!!

Thanks David, when I saw the line up I thought it would make a nice photo.

Thanks Ess1uk, we shall see!

Well I have finished working on the inspection pits for the four through roads and road 15. Thanks to Shedmaster as if he had not carried out the work on his then I would not have done mine. Thanks Dave it makes a huge difference and the pits now look like one long complete assembly. Very pleased that I followed your advice and did it, well worth the effort.

A few photos, not the best but you can see what I have been doing:

First of all road 15:

IMG_4776s.jpg

The four through roads:

IMG_4780s.jpg

IMG_4781s.jpg

IMG_4785s.jpg

IMG_4789s.jpg

IMG_4793s.jpg

A slightly better quality one:

866V6501s.jpg

Now just the small matter of weathering them!

• Like 2

I can tell this is a big build from all the internal shots, but to see the overview from the outside of the building really puts it into perspective! You've done a superb job so far, and I think any exhibition would be grateful of your layout being on show!

Top work indeed.

Regards

Lee :)

Hi Grimley, the depots looking superb, would love to see it at a show..should have really made the effort to get up to Toton in the late 80s..only made it a couple of times with work but wrong time of day for any decent pics..heres a couple of 58s we were taking back to EH after bringing another two up on a Saturday late 90s somewhen..I took some more pics in the shed but my scanners on the blink ..will dig out and post when up and running..keep up the fantastic work look forward to more updates..

post-6833-0-64125200-1311235883_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Alex,

Just been catching up on your thread I must have missed post 482.

I am hopefully coming over at some point next year, so might try and time it for a members day or a least a few exhibitions, I will have to pack the 20s a bring them over. ;)

It's good to see a plan of the whole layout too, still plenty of work to do.:D Are you having a fiddleyard or sector plan at the end? From memory there is a good senic break in the form of a road bridge.

Cheers Peter.