Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Alex

Was looking at your trackplan and came across this from an excellent site about Margam.

Looked familiar - will be having a do at this section sometime to display a few 60's (lots of nice Evergreen sheet siding...!) - the TOTON lettering should be a challenge.

http://www.martinbra...0071-totond.htm

Image not posted due to copyright which is a pity.

http://www.martinbra...com/welcome.htm

An excellent site for reference - rogues gallery a good laugh....

Ian (Crisis Rail)

Hi Lee, many thanks for the kind comments. I am very pleased with how it has turned out so far especially the inside but I do really like looking at the outside of the shed. I always have loved the look of Toton depot and never tire of seeing photos of the real shed, a bit obsessed!

I now just want to get the outside covered and see how it looks! Hopefully it will look ok once covered with the metal cladding.

Thanks for posting the photo of the 58s on the fuelling point Mr. YVM, how long did the journey up from Eastleigh take? That would be very much appreciated as I would love to see the photos that you took inside the shed.

Hi Peter, that would be good if you could make it over for Member’s day as it would be good to meet up and have a chat. Excellent idea, pack them up and bring them over but be prepared for them to remain on shed…..permanently!!

You are right there is a lot of work still to be done and a long way to go. But hey you have to have something to aim for! Like I have said before it may be ready in time for 2020!! It is a bit scary looking at that track plan, what a ridiculous idea of mine…...still I suppose I could just use board 1 as a diorama for taking photos!

Sorry to ask such a silly question but what is a sector plate?

My idea was to have a dual carriageway like the A52 by Toton as a scenic break as you mentioned with a small fiddle yard the other side. The locos can then arrive and depart via that end of the layout.

Hi Chris, loving what you are doing on Fuelling Point, superb.

Many thanks for the link I have seen that photo before and agree it would make a nice back drop for taking photos of class 60s. I look forward to seeing your next project, you will have finished that and many others before Boxenby gets anywhere near finished!

What about Slater’s, they do some lettering although it is all upper case:

https://slatersplast...phabetFlyer.pdf

As yet I am undecided about whether or not to add the lettering to my shed, do like the coal sector logo though!

I need to measure up to see how much of the Evergreen sheets are needed for Boxenby, might have to keep that quiet from Mrs. Grimley!!! Their sheets are very nice.

Will have a look at the Rogues gallery, thanks again for the links.

Hi Alex,

Missed a couple of your updates so always nice to catch up with the progress. I really like the track plan - I can just imagine all those locos needed to fill it up! (especially lots of 60's!) That shed is looking really good and the photo of the outside gives a good impression of just how big it actually is!

Brilliant!

Mark

Thanks David glad that you enjoy the updates.

Hi Ian, yes the roof sections will be fully removable allowing you to view the inside of the shed. Unless I win the lottery I can’t imagine many will be fitted with sound chips!!

When I visited back in Feb 1988 there were 41 locos outside of the shed which includes the front, rear and fuel lines with a further 26 inside. During our short visit the only movements we saw were a 37 coming off the fuelling point to stable at the front and then a 47 turn up which must have been whilst we were inside. This was a Sunday so not much movement although I presume if it had been during the evening there would have been a lot more activity with locos being prepared and then coming off shed to go and work services.

Looking at videos that were taken during the week there were far fewer locos on shed as you would expect and that is how I plan to model it with locos arriving for fuel/exams, locos moving from outside to inside and vice versa and then locos going off to work services.

The plan is to have the main shed on board number 1 with the stabling sidings at the front on board number 2, then the head shunt where all fifteen roads go into one which will also include a scenic break of a road bridge on board number 3. I also plan to have a small board to the rear of the shed to allow stabling of one loco on each of the through roads 1 to 4.

There will also be a fairly thin board attached to the side of the shed to allow for the fuelling point which will then taper in as the lines fan in from the front of the shed to the head shunt.

I will try and post a drawing at some point to show what I mean. Hope that helps a bit!

Thanks Baggie, hope you and the family are all well. Your sound chipped 37 will have to pay a visit!

Thanks Neil, I am going to use Evergreen Metal siding which I think is perfect. Hopefully once sprayed grey and weathered it should look quite nice.

To be honest I do not think it is up to the standard required for exhibitions.

Not much progress on the shed as I have not ordered the cladding yet so have turned my attention back to the inspection pits. After seeing the superb finish on Shedmaster’s inspection pits it was decided that I too would need to fill in the joins. As they say if a job is worth doing it is worth doing properly!

I thought that I had seen the back of the white filler, file, sand paper and inspection pits but alas not. I think that if this was not done I would look at it later on and regret it, so the through roads 1 to 4 have all had the joins on the inner walls and tops applied with filler. These particular pits have not received any attention since they were glued together.

Yesterday evening I made a start on filing down the filler and hope to get these four plus the one for road 16 done and sprayed with matt white primer over the weekend. Then it is on to the rest of them hopefully next week. This is a job that I have not been overly looking forward to doing but ever since I saw Dave’s inspection pits it has been on the to do list and near the top! Now that I have made a start it actually doesn’t seem so daunting!

Hi Alex,

I'm really really impressed with the overall look of your project......what a size !

Very happy that you took some inspiration from my work on Stew. Lane's pits..........it is certainly worth doing properly, good luck with levelling them !

I would also pay to come and see your layout, but I'd expect a guided tour as well.....lol.

I'm a little dissappointed with myself here..........when I learnt the road 'ooop norff' I had to go to Toton a couple of times, and didn't think to have an authorised snoop around before we close it !

I can think of nothing nicer ( in engineering terms ) than seeing a '66' completely stripped down..........

Never mind, one day...........

All the best,

Dave

Hi Peter, that would be good if you could make it over for Member’s day as it would be good to meet up and have a chat. Excellent idea, pack them up and bring them over but be prepared for them to remain on shed…..permanently!!

You are right there is a lot of work still to be done and a long way to go. But hey you have to have something to aim for! Like I have said before it may be ready in time for 2020!! It is a bit scary looking at that track plan, what a ridiculous idea of mine…...still I suppose I could just use board 1 as a diorama for taking photos!

Sorry to ask such a silly question but what is a sector plate?

My idea was to have a dual carriageway like the A52 by Toton as a scenic break as you mentioned with a small fiddle yard the other side. The locos can then arrive and depart via that end of the layout.

Hi Alex,

Yes it would be good to catch up. I could bring over a Peak or two as well.:D Not sure about leaving them behind though I need the 20s for my oil train ;)

A sector plate also called traversers, They work by having the top part of the baseboard on runners so it can slide or pivot at one end so you can line up each track with the one that goes out to the layout. It saves on points and gives more lengh for holding trains.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Mark, yes as if the thought of building said track plan is not bas enough when I think about the number of locos required to operate the layout that really does give me a wake up call! Yes I will need to look into which 60s wore Coal Sector although a few Metals and Petroleum will sneak in!

I have to confess Mark it isn’t quite as big as you think, it is N gauge!!

Hi Dave, after seeing your pits I had no choice but to work on mine and really glad that I did. As you say if a job is worth doing it is worth doing properly! Thanks for reminding me!!! I am really not looking forward to that job although looking at them yesterday it might not be as bad as feared!

Thanks you are more than welcome to come and visit, might even see if I can fill it with 66s especially for you!

Hi Peter, indeed, that would be great, I keep looking out for sealed beam Peaks on Ebay but they very rarely come up for sale and even then seem to go for silly money! Still really want one though.

In that case the Coppers will be allowed to leave, as we cannot have trains being cancelled!

Thanks for clearing that up Peter, I think I have seen similar at exhibitions. I would have thought a small fiddle yard would suffice as there will not be loads and loads of locos arriving/ departing at any one time.

Thanks Dan, I will get the measurements for you this evening when I get home and post them later. Is that ok?

I look forward to seeing your shed.

On Saturday I purchased one of these:

IMG_1586s.jpg

When Bachmann announced that they were to model these wagons I was very pleased and excited at the prospect of having a rake of these running around Grimley. But then I began work on Boxenby and alas my attention turned to late 80s/early 90s which in turn ended my interest. I bought one of these for research purposes and have to say that it is a fantastic model and one of the best 00 gauge wagons that I have seen. Good work Bachmann!

Perhaps one day I will get a nice rake of these!

Whilst out shopping with the family we went into Modelzone and Mrs. Grimley came across some cars so I decided to buy a couple for Boxenby:

This one is for Mrs. G., a nice VW Golf and for me a MG B Roadster (would have preferred British Racing Green!):

IMG_1593s.jpg

I hear that they are both owned by depot fitters of differing ages and that the younger member is hoping to get a friend of his from Llanbourne to lower the suspension!

On Friday I decided to have a weekend off modelling and relax, I even told Mrs. G that too!

That was my intention until yesterday morning when I decided to make a start on the lathe road, road number 16.

I had been pondering what to do next on the depot and suddenly thought it might be prudent to get some work done on the lathe road. So yesterday afternoon out came the tools and a dust sheet or two and work commenced. First off I marked out where the inspection pits were to go and then after some research worked out where the lathe pit would sit.

After hearing from Damian (Idomitable026) that he had used a router to cut out the channels for pits on DitD I decided that instead of using my jigsaw like last time, I would use mine too.Thinking back I cannot understand why I didn’t use my router to cut out the channels for roads 1 to 15! But hey that is what is good about this site and our hobby we learn and increase our knowledge all the time which helps us in the future.

So out came the router and the channel for the inspection pit was cut out. As I had a few of the Peco inspection pits left over I decided to use them up, these will have the pit covered over with plasticard between the rails.

Next the pit for the lathe was cut out using both the router and jigsaw. The board now has quite a sizeable hole in it. Not sure H&SE would be pleased! I have added one of the two extra wooden battens which will sit either side of the lathe road to support the lathe and inspection pit. The other one needs a piece cut out for the lathe pit to sit on and will then hopefully be added later this week. I am also hoping to build the pit for the lathe this week.

All in all not bad work considering I had not planned to do any modelling!

• Like 1

Hi Dan,

I have got the measurements for you; the shed is 115mm tall and with the peaks at 118.5mm and the raised roof is 157mm tall with a peak of 161.5mm. The distance between the tracks is approximately 72.5mm.

Hope that helps.

Tonight I have added the second support batten for the lathe road which includes a cut away section for the lathe pit to sit on. Now to construct the lathe pit…….

You are welcome Dan, I look forward to seeing your shed.

Thanks BigT, they need weathering though! I am looking forward to seeing the 20s in a faded, battered, work stained awful state, although it may be sometime before I can actually get round to weathering them! Still need a few more…..

Hi Peter, I might take you up on that offer although Mrs. Grimley might not like it with lowered suspension!

Thanks Connor, not sure about that, although it is much easier using a shed that is ready straight out of the box!

Thanks class 66, it is albeit slowly!

Last night I finished constructing the lathe pit and sprayed the walls with white primer. Hopefully tonight I can get the top coat of matt white on. I will post some photos later of the lathe pit in position.

Tonight I have sprayed the plasticard floor and walls for the lathe pit with a top coat of matt white and hopefully these will be glued on over the weekend.

Here is a photo of the lathe pit in position:

IMG_4796s.jpg

This gives an idea of how it should look with a train over the pit:

IMG_4798s.jpg

Thanks to the very helpful staff at Hegenscheidt-MDH GmbH + Co KG, I now have scale drawings of the wheel lathe to help me produce a replica for Boxenby. What a result! I am really grateful for their help and just hope that I can build something that resembles a wheel lathe!

• Like 3

Dreadful!

I have never seen a wheel lathe modelled!

(Don't forget the conveyor carrying the swarf out to a skip mate!)

Can't wait for this to develop!!!

So you haven't seen ours then? ;) (first post on the page)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1271-aberdeen-kirkhill-trsd-a-oo-rolling-stock-depot-set-in-1988/page__st__225

I know Grimley has because we had a chat at the RMweb open day.

So you haven't seen ours then? ;) (first post on the page)

http://www.rmweb.co....8/page__st__225

I know Grimley has because we had a chat at the RMweb open day.

Hi Flood you beat me to it, I was going to say that the excellent Aberdeen Kirkhill has a model wheel lathe and for BigT to have a look!

BigT, yes you are right I mustn't forget the yellow conveyor belt and skip! I just hope I can create something that looks remotely like a wheel lathe!

Hi Neil, I am hoping to make a start on it tomorrow....will update over the weekend if it goes well!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Mark, I hope that I can produce something that looks right!

After a very nice holiday in Spain which was fantastic although I was starting to twitch a little towards the end not being able to do any modelling! I did manage to visit Andy (McGomez) and see his superb layout Portland Grove. It was great to see some trains running round Portland Grove and see his excellent woodwork and layout in the flesh. The Howes sound chips were superb on the 37, 40 and 60!

Well I have managed to do a bit more work on the wheel lathe and it is starting to look like some sort of machinery! Whilst not an exact replica, I do feel that it does at least resemble a wheel lathe and should look ok once inside the shed.

There are still a few bits to add including the walkway for the operator, the safety doors (not sure if that is what they are called!), cabinets and of course the rails!

Here are a couple of photos of progress, they still need to be primed and then sprayed green:

IMG_4928s.jpg

IMG_4933s.jpg

• Like 3