Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Hi Alex,

You can never have enough Coal sector Grids - Please bring on the Railfreight Grey as well (I'm talking no red stripe here chaps).

Cheers,

Chris.

Guess which muppet bought the new Hornby Railfreight 56 before realising that it was the preserved variant with modern cant grills? Now I'm torn between selling it again straight away or modifying the grills. Which would take time I don't have at the moment. Oh well, it'll teach me to do a bit more research before my next purchase.

Yep, bring on the (real) Railfreight Grey and some Largo Logo ones, please.

Cheers,

Dave

Very true Chris. They did look good in Original Railfreight, especially the Romanian style examples. 002 and 024 were my favourites.

I remember visiting Doncaster back in Feb 1988 and we had just stepped off the HST and gone across to the other platform only to see 002 head south on empty HAAs as 004 passed it in the other direction with loaded MGRs with a Red-stripe example waiting to pass through the London bound platform. Quality! I was very HP seeing 3 Grids that quickly after just arriving!

Hi Dave, after seeing the photos of it I have been thinking perhaps it might be worth investigating a change of grilles. It does look nice, the Romanian style examples look good in that livery. 040 also ran in Original Railfreight up until mid-1991 so that would be perfect for my time period. Still disappointed that I missed the fact that it was to be modelled as preserved as I was really looking forward to having this one.

Please Hornby bring out a Large Logo one next year. Still at least we have 082 in BR blue later this year!

Very true Chris. They did look good in Original Railfreight, especially the Romanian style examples. 002 and 024 were my favourites.

I remember visiting Doncaster back in Feb 1988 and we had just stepped off the HST and gone across to the other platform only to see 002 head south on empty HAAs as 004 passed it in the other direction with loaded MGRs with a Red-stripe example waiting to pass through the London bound platform. Quality! I was very HP seeing 3 Grids that quickly after just arriving!

Hi Dave, after seeing the photos of it I have been thinking perhaps it might be worth investigating a change of grilles. It does look nice, the Romanian style examples look good in that livery. 040 also ran in Original Railfreight up until mid-1991 so that would be perfect for my time period. Still disappointed that I missed the fact that it was to be modelled as preserved as I was really looking forward to having this one.

Please Hornby bring out a Large Logo one next year. Still at least we have 082 in BR blue later this year!

Hi Alex,

It's a lovely model, there's no mistaking that and I've always liked the livery too. As far as I can see it is only the cant grills that have to be modified (unless anyone else knows different?). I've ordered some Shawplan cant and roof grills, so we'll see if I have the courage to go ahead with it! Given Hornby's glacial pace of producing new liveries it may be a while before the original version is produced.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Alex,

Your progress never ceases to amaze me and this depot is some structure now the metalwork and cladding is all taking shape. In many ways it is becoming a bit of history with so many great depots dissappearing for ever. I just saw some pictures of Thornaby being demolished which is quite sad - I lived right next to it for a year back in 2000 and could just see the tops of the trains running into the yard with many 60's and 56's in action! Cracking new 60 added to your fleet - you can never have too many of those! Great service getting your locos delievered from Gareth means you don't have to stop work on this fine project!

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Dave,

I look forward to hearing how you get on. If it is not as tricky as it looks then I may have a go but to be honest I am a bit reluctant to, especially at the price they are!

Funny isn’t it as I changed the Grilles on my BR blue 56013 to the Load Haul type so as to model 006, now the reverse is needed for 040!

Thanks Mark, I do now feel that I can actually see progress and it beginning to look more like the inside of a building.

Thornaby depot, what a great shed. Would make a nice model! Visited the area quite a few times and as you say great place to see Grids and 60s in action.

It is a real shame with depots like Thornaby and Immingham closing.

Agreed lovely locos both real and model! I am quite tempted to get another one so as to have 002 and 003 both in Petroleum. It is my birthday soon so Boxenby might just see some further additions to the fleet. Got my eye on a couple of locos…….

Very true, might have to use that service again. Great service as ever from Trains4U.

Thanks DD that is very kind, I am glad that you like it so far. Once the floor is down and painted/weathered it should look more like a proper shed. I am just hoping that I can get the dirty/oily look on the inside!

Last night I added the open web trusses to the top of the wall by road 15 and I am hoping to get the support girders in position this evening. These have been sprayed matt black and are ready to be glued on. That will then just leave the running rail for the overhead crane and the cross bracing to be added. Once all that has been added the wall should really bring alive that part of the shed. Hopefully I can get this done over the weekend.

Yesterday a parcel arrived from York Model Making which contained the last pieces of brickwork for the outside of the shed. Last week they arrived but unfortunately got damaged in the post so had to be sent back. But my thanks go to the gang at YMM and the replacement parts arrived the other day and Mrs. G kindly picked it up from the sorting office yesterday. Yet again a superb job from YMM and I am very pleased with the latest bits.

Here is a photo of the latest pieces to arrive:

IMG_4662s.jpg

I cannot wait to get started on covering the outside of the shed.

• Like 2

The vast array of 60s and relative ease of adding sound to them is one of the only big draws to 00, for me.

You certainly aren't helping matters. :P

Great work as ever.

Tom N.

Thanks Neil and GW, I am very pleased with how it has turned out. Will look better once the floor is down and painted and weathered!

Thanks Tom, The Hornby class 60 really is a superb model. You should get a few on board, go on you know you want to!

Thanks Scott, I have to say it has been nearly 18 months since I last played trains and think that would have been 56006 on MGRs. I have to confess that I do miss it! Especially running my 60s on heavy freight.

I have been preparing the I and H section girders for adding to the short wall opposite road 15 which will hold the other running rail for the overhead crane. This afternoon I am planning to pick up the open web trusses for this wall which will then be cut and sprayed ready to be glued in place. Hopefully I can get the metalwork added to this wall over the next few days and then make a start on covering the outside of the shed.

This thread never ceases to amaze me - what a huge undertaking but what fantastic progress you have made so far!!

Do you ever give youself a break from all that interior girder work to have a go at the other board with all the track & points on?

Keep up the great work.

Tim....

Hi Neil, yes we do still have the layout I just have not visited Grimley for a while. All my modelling time is now taken up working on Boxenby and now that I am starting to make some progress would like to keep going!

At present there has not been any progress made on the outside of the shed as I have been concentrating on detailing the inside. My thinking being that if I got the outside covered and then kept moving and handling the shed to allow me to work on the inside it might get damaged.

My plan is to get the metalwork added to the inside of the shed leaving the pipes, trunking and overhead cranes to be added before getting the outside covered. Hopefully starting soon!

Thanks Tim. To be honest I am concentrating on the main board as this one requires the most work. My plan at the moment is as mentioned above to add the metalwork to the inside, then get the outside of the shed covered, roof pieces painted and ready (including the air vents etc.), skylights built and added, inspection pits painted and weathered, get them glued in position and then get the floor down. Well that is my plan at present which may well change but I feel that this does seem to be a good procedure to follow. I also think it will be easier to put the two boards together to lay the track and points which should help to get them aligned nicely.

Oh and I am motivated or should that be obsessed, probably the latter, to get the shed finished. I really do want to see how the shed will look with the brick and cladding added.

Yesterday I had to pop and pick up some more open web trusses and managed to come away without buying another class 60, but only just! Hornby’s British Steel blue 60033 was there, I didn’t even know it had been released! Very nice model it looks too but as this doesn’t really fit in with my time period I decided to leave it on the shelf, I will probably get one at some point but not right now.

I did however come away with another class 20, Bachmann’s 20090. I did really like them in this livery and have to say it is a really nice model.

Here it is on Road 15 keeping 56128 company:

IMG_4678s.jpg

The I and H section girders and the open web trusses have been sprayed matt black and ready to be glued in place. I am hoping to get these added over the weekend.

• Like 2

Hi alex thanks for the update on how your working things, it still amazes me the scale of this build but looks fantastic, the railfreight 20 looks great, i love mine and in my opinion the Bachmann 20's run faultlessly, iv never had any problem with them and can always be relied on at shows, think i may get another laugh1.gif

Cheers

Neil

No problem at all Neil glad that you enjoy the updates. I think I may have to get another class 20 too! They certainly look and run a lot better than the old Lima version!!!

Well this weekend I managed to get the metalwork added to the wall as I had hoped which now means the shed is ready for the outside to be covered.

Here is a photo showing progress:

IMG_4697s.jpg

I also wanted to try and take a photo using a better camera than Mrs. Grimley’s compact to see how it looked:

866V6496s.jpg

Hopefully I can make a start on the outside this week.

• Like 2

Hi Neil, quite a few times I have wondered when I would get to this stage. To be honest I thought it would have been a lot further away! Working on the metalwork was what I had really been dreading as it is such a prominent feature of the inside that I wanted to get it to look right. I have spent a lot of time thinking about it and trying to come up with a procedure/process/method to follow.

Once the outside is covered then I will really feel like it is coming on! Have been thinking/imagining how it would look since it was first constructed, hopefully it will look ok.

Thanks David.

Me too Tom!!

Well I have made a start on adding the mdf to the outside, the brickwork and cladding will then sit on top of that. I will post some photos of progress later in the week, better get the cladding ordered!

I seem to be developing an obsession with class 20s, another one arrived today! This time in the form of BR blue 20034, superb!

IMG_4699s.jpg

When I visited Toton back in 1988 there were twenty odd class 20s on shed, still a few more needed yet me thinks!

• Like 1

Hi Alex,

The metalwork does look seriously good, and worth spending the time on. Look forwards to seeing how the outside comes together.B)

So how many class 20s is that now? :D I was thinking if you still have a few old lima locos left you could always have them as dummies and move then about the shed with other locos.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, it has been hard work and at times rather frustrating testing my patience to the max! But I am glad that I spent time working on it and pleased with the results especially as it is very prominent.

The class 20 fleet is only up to 6 so still a few short. Control will be frantically searching for other traction! Good idea, I think I may still have a couple of old Lima machines. I think those snow plough fitted choppers last seen at Llanbourne may well be off to Boxenby soon for exams! :D

Well I had a thoroughly enjoyable day on Saturday and after seeing so many quality layouts returned home highly motivated!

Thanks to Beast66606 Boxenby now has a BR blue Romanian Grid, superb! Here she is at home in her new surroundings:

IMG_4714s.jpg

IMG_4724s.jpg

Thanks Dave! B)

Apart from one wall the depot shed has been covered in the 2mm mdf pieces and it is already looking different. Here is a little sneak preview:

IMG_4720s.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alex

It was good to meet you on Saturday and I hope you had a good trip home. Nice to see the Grid in its new surroundings and looking forward to the external developments to the shed, and I'll let you know if I'm out your way.;)