Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Thanks MM, I am very pleased with how they have turned out. As you say once the brickwork is painted white and the doors grey with other bits and bobs added should make a big difference to the rear of the shed. I have been looking at some photos of that area of the real shed and there is a lot of clutter there!!

I agree with David, Nice Peaks Ian!! Still need to locate my model of 106. How many do you have in your fleet Ian?

Thanks David, it is coming on albeit slowly! It seems that although I have been working on it there is not too much to show from it!

The last couple of days have been spent adding the T section brackets to some of the inspection platforms. The five long platforms are now complete, these ones requiring the most brackets hence me choosing them first! Now I can get brackets added to the other six.

This has been one of those tedious time consuming jobs which can be frustrating and a times really try your patience but in the end prove worth while. The final results definitely prove it has been worth all the time and effort.

Here is a photo showing one of the long inspection platforms with the T section brackets added. You can see the white plastic either side of the H section support girders.

IMG_4261s.jpg

Hopefully I can get brackets added to the rest of the platforms this weekend.

• Like 2

Hi Alex,

Your quite right it might seem a tedious job to be doing but the end result is certainly worth the effort you are putting in. Its all the little details that make the overall project come to life and when your doing them you might think you havn't got that much done in a modelling session but once it all comes together the overall scene will be complete. Your work has reminded how many bits of section I still need to stick to the viaduct on mine!

Keep up he good work,

Mark

Hi found a few more. I think the peak is the spare from the nuclear crash test, hence the markings.

Yes you are right about the Peak being marked up for the nuclear test. it was a back up just in case that 46009 failed and 46023 was set for the replacement just in case.

Thanks Lewis, I thought it would make a bit of a change to have some EE traction.

Excellent videos Ian, thanks for posting the links. I really enjoyed watching them, especially the first one. 20s, 45s, 56s, 58s and a coal 60…right up my street!

Seeing Toton makes me want to go and do some more work but as it is Mrs. Grimley’s Birthday today I think I had better not!

Thanks Grunfos, I remember watching the crash on a very large tape video many years ago not long after it happened. I like the 45 and 47 up on jacks.

Well I have managed to add the T section brackets to all of the inspection platforms and despite the tedious job I am very pleased that I made the effort. Tomorrow I plan to fill in the small gaps on the inspection pits (at the end nearest the front of the shed) and then using filler get them ready for white spraying white primer. Once that job is completed I plan to start on the brickwork at the rear of the inside of the shed and also get the buildings covered.

Hi Alex,

I was talking to a man today at Glasgow, who isn't on RMweb, as he was telling me about depot visits back in BR days and in particular a visit to Toton I mentioned you were building a model of the depot and from what he told me he went to see a couple of 56's and a 58 that were inside the depot. He went into the office where he told me a nice young woman in a rather short tight skirt greeted him and had no issues in taking him round the depot. She even offered to show him into the cab of one loco and deliberately climbed up first! I told him I would have to share this with you so you can get the detail right and re-create this cameo scene!

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks for sharing the story Mark, could there be a better way of conducting a depot visit than the story mentioned? Not sure there is!

What a way to see 56s and 58s eh?!!

Yesterday I decided to see what the main inside wall for the rear of the shed would look like in place. Although it will be painted white and the upper section covered in lined plastic sheets it gives you an idea of how it should look. Here are some photos:

First up an 80s shot:

IMG_4275s.jpg

Unfortunately the camera was playing up so this is the only one!

For those interested in recent times:

IMG_4338s.jpg

IMG_4343s.jpg

A view from a bit higher up:

IMG_4320s.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Arny.

Yesterday afternoon I filled in the gaps on the inspection pits using plasticard and plastic square rod. They still need a bit of filler to blend in which hopefully I can do later this week and then if the weather allows at the weekend a coat of white primer. Then I can make a start on weathering the pits ready for permanent installation.

A photo to show progress:

IMG_4350s.jpg

I am also hoping to make a start on the brickwork for the rear of the shed this week/next weekend.

• Like 1

Thanks Arny.

Yesterday afternoon I filled in the gaps on the inspection pits using plasticard and plastic square rod. They still need a bit of filler to blend in which hopefully I can do later this week and then if the weather allows at the weekend a coat of white primer. Then I can make a start on weathering the pits ready for permanent installation.

A photo to show progress:

IMG_4350s.jpg

I am also hoping to make a start on the brickwork for the rear of the shed this week/next weekend.

• Like 1

Hi Grimley,

You are making some good progress there, it will be great once you have the pits in permanently and weathered up, I think the rest will start to really come together, the buildings are looking good too. I noticed one of your class 60s has some sort of cover over the horns I haven't noticed that before. Did they some out with that or were they fitted later?

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, I agree once the pits are in place and the floor is built up it should start to resemble a depot. Problem is there is so much to do and I keep changing my mind as to what order to do them in!

Not sure what the cover is for, I am sure someone on here must be able to enlighten us! They certainly didn’t have them fitted when first released from Brush works.

Well despite planning to relax and not do any modelling last night, I decided to get the brickwork glued on to the buildings ready to hopefully spray them at the weekend. The windows, doors and roof are just in for a dry fit but it gives you an idea of how they should look.

IMG_4356s.jpg

IMG_4357s.jpg

Earlier today I ordered some Evergreen metal siding to go on the upper part of the main wall. Hopefully these sheets will arrive before the weekend so that they can be glued in place allowing the whole wall to be sprayed white along with the other brickwork.

• Like 1

Really is a very impressive model! :D

I always wanted to have a job in a depot like Toton, alas it was never to be, but 3 years ago I started working on a Class 37 and 47 at a heritage line, well after many a cracked head, skinned knuckles, ripped clothes, cramp, contortions, spanners/bolts dropped under the sump, never to be retieved, I am now glad that I never followed that dream!! We also have a 26, what a little dream she is to work on ;)

Hi Peter, I agree once the pits are in place and the floor is built up it should start to resemble a depot. Problem is there is so much to do and I keep changing my mind as to what order to do them in!

Not sure what the cover is for, I am sure someone on here must be able to enlighten us! They certainly didn’t have them fitted when first released from Brush works.

Well despite planning to relax and not do any modelling last night, I decided to get the brickwork glued on to the buildings ready to hopefully spray them at the weekend. The windows, doors and roof are just in for a dry fit but it gives you an idea of how they should look.

IMG_4356s.jpg

IMG_4357s.jpg

Earlier today I ordered some Evergreen metal siding to go on the upper part of the main wall. Hopefully these sheets will arrive before the weekend so that they can be glued in place allowing the whole wall to be sprayed white along with the other brickwork.

......Evergreen Metal Siding - How many years finance have you taken out to buy this... ohmy.gif good stuff though which covers large areas well - cant source any cheaper alternatives at the moment.

• Like 2

Thanks Coddy. I remember at open days many years ago, when you used to be able to climb all over them, how cramped it was walking through the engine rooms of locos. Did they really let us do that?!!! So goodness knows what it must have been like to try and work on them!

I hear that class 66s are much better for fitters to work on than older traction, easy to maintain with very good access. But times change, designs improve and now with the higher availability and reliability figures, locos spend less time out of traffic so the requirement for numerous depots around the country to provide maintenance has greatly reduced. Hence the man in a van these days.

Always did like 26s although being from down south I didn’t really see that many of them. Perhaps that is what made me like them even more!

Peter, I have spoken to someone and found out that the cover over the horns is in fact a GPS aerial. There you go, well, they say that you learn something new every day!

CR, at the moment I only need three sheets for the main wall area but soon I will be starting on the outside so will definitely need more then. Finance will be required then!

I have to say that after carrying out some research the Evergreen Metal Siding was the best match for what I wanted. Hopefully it will look good once covered.

I am still undecided as to what colour to paint the doors and trimmings and as yet have not found any photos clearly showing the buildings at the rear of the shed. What I did find though was a photo of a 150/1 parked outside the lathe road back in 1987. I have been contemplating purchasing one for a while but now will add that to my list. I also found a photo of one of my favourite 47s, 47461 passing Toton on a ballast working. This is great as I have been toying with the idea of getting one since seeing the Bachmann release and now I know it did visit the area that gives me the green light to get one!

Hi Grimley,

Thanks for that, you do learn something everyday don't you.:D

I think I have a pic of the back of the shed somewhere I will have a look for you.

Cheers Peter.

Someone asked how many Peaks i had and i have got 15 peaks and i am after Great Gable! £48 from Hattons cheaper than anywhere else! Once i have paid off the stuff i have on reserve there will be 16 peaks!

Thanks Peter that would be very helpful.

Today after finishing off adding some parts to the two buildings for the rear of the shed, I sprayed the brickwork, buildings and doors with white primer.

IMG_4364s.jpg

IMG_4376s.jpg

IMG_4380s.jpg

This evening I put the two buildings in position to see how they will look once finished.

IMG_4384s.jpg

Hopefully later in the week I can get the top coat on and get the doors sprayed and fitted.

• Like 3

Last night when I got home from work I sprayed the brickwork and buildings with the top coat of matt white and also the doors with the first coat of blue. Tonight I plan to spray the doors with the second coat of blue and then hopefully paint the fascias grey tomorrow night.

Nearly there. Today I did some further work on the brickwork and buildings, just leaving the door frames to be added. Hopefully tomorrow I can make a start on gluing the brickwork to the shed building.

Here is a photo of the two buildings and brickwork for the main wall at the rear of the shed:

IMG_4414s.jpg

• Like 3