Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Thanks very much for the kind comments everyone, much appreciated.

Baggie, it is starting to come on and now that I can see something for the work and effort does help. You will appreciate one of the photos below!

047 seems to have been transferred in from the Grimley fleet!

Thanks Scott, I do think about that quite a lot especially full of 20s, 56s and 58s like it was when I visited back in 1988. But then I do quite like the idea of it in 1992 full of newly built Brush 60s! Along with other classes too…..

Thanks Mark, as soon as I got them out of the packaging I just wanted to assemble them. So I did! Once one had been built I was really motivated to assemble the others and glad that I did. The beams need adjusting but I need to get the lower floor level and secured first before getting the inspection pits in position. Oh and then look at getting the platforms and rest of the floor down. I also need to finish off the inside of the building by covering the rear wall…. So much to do that I don’t know where to go next!

Thanks Class 66. Heading in the right direction!

Thanks SirMadog, glad that you like it. Hopefully over the next few months I can get the inside of the shed finished and the floor area down which will certainly make a difference.

Thanks Lewis, I am trying to recreate something similar although not exactly the same but it is starting to look like a large TMD.

Thanks Simon, I paid a quick visit to Boxenby earlier and by the looks of it there were quite a few 60s there already!

Hi YVM, thanks I can see a BR blue Crompton visiting as I have seen a couple of photos on the internet of one at Toton and after seeing your brother's 33s I am very tempted to get one. I think that there might have to be an open day to celebrate the depot opening!

Thanks Bluebird, I am looking forward to seeing some Large Logo and Original Railfreight Grids on the blocks accompanied by some 20s and 58s!

Thanks Mick, I think I must just be mad!

Well yesterday I finally gave in and got out a few of my class 60s to see how they would look inside the depot. I couldn’t resist any longer, they had been cooped up in their boxes and were screaming to come out, what could I do?!!

Looking west across the shed from road 1

IMG_4019s.jpg

From road 2

IMG_4034s.jpg

From road 4

IMG_4039s.jpg

The dead-end roads:

IMG_4043s.jpg

IMG_4045s.jpg

60074 on road 4

IMG_4021s.jpg

60014 and 60018 on roads 5 and 6

IMG_4024s.jpg

IMG_4063s.jpg

60059 on road 7

IMG_4052s.jpg

60006 and 60081 on roads 13 and 14

IMG_4028s.jpg

IMG_4030s.jpg

60095 sits at the end of road 10

IMG_4056s.jpg

• Like 3

Thought you might like it BigT! :D

Yeah I know only a few, more required me thinks Ste! I do have a few more but they were left in their boxes.

I am sure that you could find some space somewhere…..:D

Thanks D Winpenny, I agree! Seeing as you mentioned Grids I have included a couple of photos for you to browse!

You are right Simon I do need more 60s, still once the depot is finished I can then get some more…..would eventually like to have a model of all 100!B)

Thanks Lewis, not entirely sure but I believe it is about 24,so far with many more to come in the future!:huh: :D

Thanks Graham it is coming on, it will look better once the rear wall is covered.

You did indeed 60026, doubt it will return to traffic though but hey you never know. Perhaps the Boxenby fitters could work some magic! :P One of my favourites 081.…

As Ste mentioned Grids I decided to get 006 out and see how she looked inside the shed:

IMG_4108s.jpg

IMG_4111s.jpg

IMG_4118s.jpg

I think that at the weekend my limited fleet from the late 80s might have to come out…..

• Like 2

Thanks Class 66, could still do with a few more though!!

Hi Lukasz, I do indeed have a model of 054, it was in its box! Thanks it is coming on although a long way to go yet!

Last week I started to look at getting the inspection platforms in position and realised that some minor tweaking was required. This entailed removing the lower floor to make some small cuts to the wood in order to give the platforms a little bit of extra space to get them in the correct position. Especially number 5 road as this was not quite far enough over to allow a loco to get in.

Yesterday afternoon out came the router for a little bit of work in the garage and now the inspection pits sit nicely in position with a bit of breathing space to help align them.

Here are a couple of photos of all the pits in position including road 5:

IMG_4131s.jpg

IMG_4129s.jpg

Next to get the rear wall and buildings covered and then make a start on getting the floor and inspection pits down. Yes I am really looking forward to the latter!! :fool_mini: :biggrin_mini:

I have just got out some late 80s locos so will post some photos of Boxenby with 20s, 37s, 56s and 58s later…..

• Like 2

Thanks Ian, I do like 56006 an absolute beast in BR Blue! I need a few more Grids though the shed would not look right without a few of them on the blocks!

Thanks Peter, to be honest it is much better having it inside and not having to go out in the cold garage. Much nicer! Also I was getting a bit worried about the damp in the garage, didn’t want all my hard work ruined. Still hopefully now I can get things moving!

Not sure if you had noticed but I do quite like 60s! The next few will be low numbered examples in Petroleum and Metals, 002, 003 and 008. Nice new 60s, nice!

I think you boys might quite like these next few photos back to the 80s although it makes you realise just how many more locos are required to fill it! Really must get some more Grids…..

Apologies some are not that great as the camera seemed to be struggling to focus!

58037 on road 5:

IMG_4138s.jpg

A general view from road 3:

IMG_4134s.jpg

A view looking down the dead-end roads:

IMG_4143s.jpg

Looking down roads 5 and 6:

IMG_4145s.jpg

IMG_4147s.jpg

Grids on roads 7 and 8:

IMG_4150s.jpg

Choppers on road 7:

IMG_4154s.jpg

Looking down roads 7 and 8, this really shows the length of the long inspection platforms:

IMG_4157s.jpg

37/5s on road 9 with a 20 on road 10:

IMG_4158s.jpg

58041 on road 13:

IMG_4160s.jpg

A couple of unusual visitors were seen; at Boxenby over the weekend; first up 37501 and 502. These worked south on Friday’s 6M29 FO Lakenby – Toton Old Bank and have come into the shed for attention to a minor fault. They will then work 6D23 MO Toton Old Bank to Corby BSC.

The other one was 56032 which worked up from the Western Region to visit the wheel lathe as the one at Cardiff Canton was under going routine maintenance.

Oh that reminds me that I will soon have to make a start on the pit for the wheel lathe!

• Like 2

Thanks Ian, I do like 56006 an absolute beast in BR Blue! I need a few more Grids though the shed would not look right without a few of them on the blocks!

Thanks Peter, to be honest it is much better having it inside and not having to go out in the cold garage. Much nicer! Also I was getting a bit worried about the damp in the garage, didn’t want all my hard work ruined. Still hopefully now I can get things moving!

Not sure if you had noticed but I do quite like 60s! The next few will be low numbered examples in Petroleum and Metals, 002, 003 and 008. Nice new 60s, nice!

I think you boys might quite like these next few photos back to the 80s although it makes you realise just how many more locos are required to fill it! Really must get some more Grids…..

Apologies some are not that great as the camera seemed to be struggling to focus!

58037 on road 5:

IMG_4138s.jpg

A general view from road 3:

IMG_4134s.jpg

A view looking down the dead-end roads:

IMG_4143s.jpg

Looking down roads 5 and 6:

IMG_4145s.jpg

IMG_4147s.jpg

Grids on roads 7 and 8:

IMG_4150s.jpg

Choppers on road 7:

IMG_4154s.jpg

Looking down roads 7 and 8, this really shows the length of the long inspection platforms:

IMG_4157s.jpg

37/5s on road 9 with a 20 on road 10:

IMG_4158s.jpg

58041 on road 13:

IMG_4160s.jpg

A couple of unusual visitors were seen; at Boxenby over the weekend; first up 37501 and 502. These worked south on Friday’s 6M29 FO Lakenby – Toton Old Bank and have come into the shed for attention to a minor fault. They will then work 6D23 MO Toton Old Bank to Corby BSC.

The other one was 56032 which worked up from the Western Region to visit the wheel lathe as the one at Cardiff Canton was under going routine maintenance.

Oh that reminds me that I will soon have to make a start on the pit for the wheel lathe!

• Like 2

Hi Alex,

Nice 80s line up. looks like you have been buying a few locos.

A friend of mine released a book this year ( shameless plug) which has some nice pictures of freight around Toton. My be worth a look, oh it has a few of my brothers and my photos in as well.;)

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-11097400-1296472882_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Peter, still need a few more though, I keep resisting! I keep looking at locos that I could buy to fit straight in but have to keep funds for the layout. It is very hard not to go and buy a couple of Coal sector grids, 31s and a couple more 20s!

I would like to be able to line up 5 or 6 grids of various liveries on the blocks to recreate those scenes of the late 80s. One day!

Following your recommendation I have order the book and should hopefully pick it up tomorrow. Thanks for that, I am looking forward to getting it and seeing the PCM and YVM photos! :D

Thanks Bluebird, to be honest I think that is quite good compared to when I visited Toton back in Feb 1988, admittedly it was a weekend but the following locos were present; 10 class 20s, 7 class 56s and 9 class 58s. I think I need a few more locos! :huh: B)

I do like the 60s, looking forward to getting some coal, petroleum and metals sector liveried examples.

Thanks Lewis, that would cost a few bob to fit them all with DCC sound. In fact it is going to cost quite a bit to fill the shed with DCC ready locos.

Better not talk about that in front of Mrs. G! :D

I am hoping to make a start on getting the inspection pits in place at the weekend although I have yet to decide whether to weather them first or not. Think it will be easier to weather them first!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget a few peaks! You need to buy some peaks!!

Yes agreed, get some Peaks. Are 47s called Duffs? If so get some Duffs! :rolleyes: I'm an old bloke who has steam in his blood but used to bunk around sheds in 'blue diesel days' with my lad and this shed of yours just shouts Tinsley/Toton etc; it's really very good indeed.

36E

Don’t worry Ian I have not forgotten about Peaks! Only yesterday I was looking at models, I think that I do have a Replica BR Blue 45 somewhere…..

I need to look into the Bachmann version, although I don’t think that they have done one that would be suitable for the mid to late 80s. Would like one with a high intensity headlight on.

Thanks Mallard60022, I do also plan to get a few BR blue, original Railfreight and Large logo 47s. To add to the already growing list of required locos!

Peter, I picked up my copy of Freight in the 1980s yesterday and have to say what a great book. Loving the Large Logo 56s!

I especially liked the photo towards the back of a BR blue 47 on a ballast working passing Toton, that is the sort of shot that first got me interested in the depot. Or should I say obsessed! I keep looking at the photo….

Thanks again for the recommendation, a great purchase. Makes me wish that I had taken more photos back when we used to go out and about and also should have visited more places off the beaten track!

I see that there were a few photos by a certain Mr. Mantle………..good work!

Bachmann made some peaks with the high intensity light with the 2 lights on the front for modelzone ages ago. Unfortunately i missed out on that but every now an then they crop up on ebay. I think the closest you will get now is the split headcodes that are coming out. Plus if you look on Hattons website you may get them cheaper than some other places!

I also got an obssession with Toton (as i live right across the road from it at the moment). I make up some mock parts of it,ie some track layout parts from the south end of Toton. So don't think your the only one with the obssession of Toton! :rolleyes: :D