Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Hi,if you haven't seen it check out WNXX.COM then click on latest news for an airborne picture of the south end of Toton shed. Don't know if you have tried Toton-rail.co.uk? lots of photos.

Is this the pic you was on about?

post-1121-0-39584900-1300328185_thumb.jpg

This is a good pic for showing the track work.

• Like 2

Thanks Chris, I am very pleased with how the brickwork and buildings have turned out and also feel that I am starting to actually see something after quite a lot of work. Hopefully once the main wall is in place the inside will start to look more like a TMD!

Thanks Ian, I do sometimes think it would have been easier to model a TMD similar to Peterborough! My problem is that in order for me to be happy, I have to get as good a representation as I can, which at the moment is predominantly by scratch building. This is good because I can try and get something that resembles the real thing which I am happy with, but comes within a certain budget and can accommodate my limited modelling skills!

Thanks Grunfos I had seen it but thanks for pointing it out. A very useful photo indeed.

Yes I have visited Toton-rail a superb website with some excellent photos. I have to confess that I normally end up visiting it almost daily!

Thanks Ian, it does give a good view of the track work for the rear of the shed and round the side including the fuelling point.

I have been putting the finishing touches to the main wall ready for gluing in place. The rear wall has been glued on and I am hoping to get the main wall in position this weekend.

Hi Richard, many thanks, glad that you like it. Hopefully I will have some more photos for you soon….

Over the weekend I was doing some work on the outside walls of the shed in preparation for covering in the next few weeks so did not get time to work on the inside of the depot. Last night I managed to glue the main wall to the rear of the shed, fingers crossed that it is ok!

Just before I glued it on, I briefly held it in position along with the two buildings and have to say that it does look rather nice. If I have time later I will post a couple of photos of the inside of the shed showing the main wall and buildings in position.

Hi Alex,

With the real photos and your model progress your thread distracts me from getting on with mine! ;) Always worth following though. When is that depot open day as I will soon have a couple of 60's back from Toton works - well Andi Cairns road works with a nice red 60 and something a little dirty in triple grey and a little later a loadhaul 60 will also be returning to my fleet - I'm not sure how I can get away with that many on Rannoch!

Keep up the good work,

Mark

Hi Mark, sorry to distract you! Not sure when exactly the open day will be, I am starting to make progress and once the better weather arrives I hope to really get cracking. Perhaps the end of next year?!!! Or is that a bit too optimistic?

What ever happens, your 60s are more than welcome to attend, anytime Sir. I look forward to seeing your 60s, can’t beat a couple of 60s especially triple grey!

Don’t worry they will fit in just fine!

Well the main wall is now in place and it does look quite good, I am very pleased so far. This morning I added the roof over the stores which sit at the west end of the main wall, this being where the wall is lower. I will try and take some photos of the main wall and buildings in position tomorrow evening. Perhaps with a few 20s, 56s and 58s…..

This is how I would like to see the Inspection and light maintenance section once finished:

IMG_4424s.jpg

IMG_4429s.jpg

Nice!

• Like 2

Thanks Leon it looks a bit different now! I have to say that I cannot wait to see BR Blue, Original Railfreight, Red-stripe Railfreight and Coal Grids with some 20s and 58s for company. As well as some other classes too…

Well Boxenby is certainly looking different now that the main wall is on and with the buildings in position you can certainly see what I am trying to achieve. I am very pleased with the initial look of it and once the inspection platforms are raised up a little to meet the bottom of the doors it should be just right. Once the platforms have been painted and weathered and clutter added it should look quite good.

A few photos:

IMG_4430s.jpg

IMG_4434s.jpg

With some locos on shed:

IMG_4441s.jpg

IMG_4443s.jpg

IMG_4444s.jpg

IMG_4450s.jpg

IMG_4452s.jpg

Just one short wall to cover now, this is the one which sits between the main wall and the rear of the shed. Hopefully this will be done over the weekend. Although a lot of work still needs to be done on the walls even after being covered, my plan is to get the outside covered next. Then it should start to look more like a depot building!

• Like 5

Grimley,

Superb work. I particularly like the shot looking along the wall (2nd pic down in last post). Can't wait to see it with the clutter added.

As a matter of interest what colours are you going to use?

Regards

Jeff

Hello Alex,

I do like the progress, the buildings you have comissioned are really worth the investment, and also stand as an inspiration to us. On the traction front I like the class 58's lurking in there - how many do you have now? And I don't know about you, but I'm hoping Hornby bring out a Railfreight grey (no stripe) class 56. A couple of those wouldn't go amiss in your shed, and also on my layout......

All the best, and keep inspiring,

Chris.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback and kind comments.

Jeff, thanks. I wanted to see how it would look with a few locos in the bays and have to say that I am pleased so far. Once the platforms are painted and weathered and as you say with clutter added it should look quite good.

Sorry Jeff, you asked what colours am I going to use, for which parts in particular? Sorry I am a bit tired so not quite with it!!

Thanks Chris, I am starting to see it coming together and can visualise the depot when finished. Although there is still a long way to go!

Thanks Lewis, I need to get the outside covered and then it should really start to look like a depot building.

Thanks Arnie, I need some Peaks to go inside!

Thanks Richard, I still need quite a few more though!

Thanks class 66, slowly!

47541, glad that you like it. At times I look at it and am amazed that this silly project has been started!

Porkie, yes it is a good programme. I too watched it (on video!) only a couple of weeks ago when I was deciding what colours to paint the buildings. It is also a good resource for me.

Also been watching some clips from Toton on you tube, some great videos on there.

I also have some video taken on our visit in 1988 which also comes in handy.

Chris, I am very pleased with the buildings and brickwork and also relieved that once assembled the commissioned parts have produced results which I am very, very pleased with. Much better than I could have imagined and hoped for, especially as this whole project is my first real attempt at building a layout on my own. Still I have learnt a lot so far and hopefully it will help me for the next time.

It is funny as when you look in from the front you cannot really see the buildings but hey there you go! Oh and if the depot has all the doors closed as when I visited back in 1988 you won’t be able to see anything!! I am glad that I chose to have the parts for the platforms and buildings/brickwork made, very pleased with it all so far.

On the traction front there is a serious shortage, I only have two 58s which are both in Original Railfreight. Me too. I believe Hornby are doing 56040 which will be nice but it is a WR machine so may not get away with it. Although it could be visiting the wheel lathe. 56002 and 024 were two favourites of mine, I still have them somewhere both old Mainline versions that I had detailed for me. Would like to have them redone using the new Hornby model. Would love a few like that.

I was hoping that Hornby would do a Large Logo one this year but alas no, hopefully in 2012!

I have been doing some research into diagrams to see how many locos will be required to cover the workings off of Boxenby, my thanks to Phil and MikeH on this forum for all their assistance. More on that over the next couple of weeks.

All I can say is that there will be a requirement for quite a few 20s, 56s and 58s………..

Over the past few days I have been preparing the last wall for covering and tonight I plan to glue the first parts on. Hopefully by the weekend this should be finished and then I can start planning for covering the outside of the shed.

Hi Lewis, yes you are right although I am not sure I am that adventurous to attempt a full respray like that! You are right the blue 013s are very hard to get hold of, I have been looking for a couple to have as 008 and 010.

This weekend has proved quite productive with two major jobs completed.

The first was to spray all of the walls except the main wall and the short wall by road 4 at the rear of the shed with a top coat of matt white. When these walls were covered they were sprayed with two coats of primer but not given a top coat, a very silly mistake to make. This then meant that the whole shed had to be masked off to allow these walls to be sprayed.

Friday evening after getting in from work I decided that as the weather was good to mask up the shed and get this job done. I have been thinking about doing this job for a while now but just the thought of having to mask it all up had put me off! The last three walls that have been covered have all had the brickwork and lined plastic sheets sprayed with a top coat prior to being glued on. I have learnt from that!

Well now this has been done and all the walls have been given a top coat, I am now ready to start adding the vertical girders and also the smaller horizontal bars, plus all the pipes etc. This should really start to make the walls come to life, if that is possible! Well start to look more like walls inside a TMD building…….

The second job was to get the short wall by road 4 at the rear of the shed covered with lined plastic and bricks, which has now been done.

Here are a few photos of progress:

This is the short wall by road 4, at Toton this walls does not have a step in it but unfortunately when the shed was built mine did. Not the end of the world but I quite like it now!

Sorry the first photo is slightly out of focus!

IMG_4463s.jpg

IMG_4455s.jpg

IMG_4464s.jpg

IMG_4466s.jpg

IMG_4467s.jpg

IMG_4468s.jpg

IMG_4469s.jpg

This week I am going to start planning for how the outside of the shed is to be covered, looking at both the brickwork and metal sheets. Hopefully I can make a start on this in the next few weeks. Also at the same time I am going to start adding the metalwork, as mentioned above which sits above the brickwork on the walls.

• Like 6

Hi Grimley,

Thnks for the new pictures - looking good. I was intereste din the colour palette you are going to use for all the internal walls.

I would love to see the pictures you are using for inspiration. Keep the pics coming.

Regards

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

The walls and brickwork will all be matt white and then weathered to give that dirty, grimy used look that is normal for the inside of a depot. The metal work will be matt black with the vertical girders being painted light/dark grey.

Most of the photos that I have used for my research have been found on fotopic or the internet, a shame that fotopic has gone as it was a great resource for information.

I have also used some video which we took whilst at Toton back in 1988 which has been very useful and also some photos taken on a visit last year. Unfortunately I am unable to post any of those taken a year ago, sorry!

Apart from the colour of the doors and fascias it appears that very little has changed over the years, well from what I can see!

Once the roof is on it will look very different because at the moment too much light is coming in which does not give the right atmosphere. Hopefully once the roof and sky lights are in position this will reduce that giving much darker areas as per the real thing.

I will see if I can get some video of our visit back in 1988 up at some point.

Hope that helps.

Looks good Grimley...:) B) How many rooms in the house have you taken over for this project now? Are you in arrears with the brownie points yet?:lol:

How's the big layout doing these days? Presume Grimley is taking a back seat whilst the depot project gets worked on at a good pace?

Cheers