Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Hi Ian, you are lucky being that close! We will have to do a mock up with your bridge and my shed! Don’t worry I didn’t think it was just me, I know that there are many modellers/enthusiasts out there obsessed with Toton just like us. Although I only have a mild obsession!.......

Do you know for the past few years I have visited Model Zone in Holborn but typically back then my interests were present day only. Probably walked passed the Peaks in the cabinet!

Found a 45058 on eBay but the auction had ended! Looked a lovely model though, really want one now!

Do you know which other peaks Model Zone have done? I am struggling to find photos/details.

Thanks Ian I will have a look at the links. As you say I need to keep an eye on eBay for any 45s that would suit, ideally one of the recent ones like the Model Zone 45058.

Thanks Class 66.

Today I have been working on the lower floor area. Whilst putting the inspection pits back in place last weekend I noticed that they were still sitting a bit too high which needed addressing. So this afternoon I have been looking at that.

Lying on top of the plywood is a layer of 2mm plasticard which I decided may be the source of the problem so this was replaced with 1mm instead and that seems to have done the trick. Now the pits sit nicely in position and at the right height.

In between the pits the lower floor will be raised up by 4mm with the inspection platform bases sitting on top. This will bring the top of the walkways to the same height as the top of the sole bar of a class 20, as per the prototype.

Here are a couple of photos:

IMG_4173s.jpg

IMG_4174s.jpg

Now that the floor height is sorted I plan to get the 1mm plasticard glued down, weather the inside of the inspection pits and get them glued in position as well. Then get the lower floor ready for the inspection platforms.

• Like 1

Hi Alex,

Glad you like the book. :D

Good to see you looking at getting a Peak or five,:lol: I have the older Bachmann locos which have the slightly squashed nose though the grilles on the nose sides are the correct type. The new Bachmann models are very good but they haven't done the right front end that you need with centre headlight. Plus their split box Peak has the early grilles on the nose sides which is'nt correct for your 80s 90s time period. It might be worth waiting to see what Bachmann are going to release this year, they will have to do the later Peaks at some point. I think they will sell really well.

Cheers Peter.

I don't think Bachmann will be realeasing the ones that they did with modelzone again as i asked TMC is they had any that they had weathered as a limited edition as i sent the an email to see if they did but they said that now the limited edition run had finished and they won't be doing the ones with marker lights and high intensity lights now.

You may have better luck if you put a wanted advert in the wanted area of this forum.

Bachmann made some peaks with the high intensity light with the 2 lights on the front for modelzone ages ago. Unfortunately i missed out on that but every now an then they crop up on ebay. I think the closest you will get now is the split headcodes that are coming out. Plus if you look on Hattons website you may get them cheaper than some other places!

I also got an obssession with Toton (as i live right across the road from it at the moment). I make up some mock parts of it,ie some track layout parts from the south end of Toton. So don't think your the only one with the obssession of Toton! :rolleyes: :D

How about these - I have plans for 45003 - not cheap though.

Headlights non-operational but could be easily converted.

http://www.themodelc...&exact_match=on

Ian

Hi Peter, I certainly am! Keep checking ebay for suitable flush front examples. I seem to think that somewhere I have two Replica Peaks, 45106 and a BR blue 45/1. Not sure where they are though! Would like to see 45106 sat inside the shed….

Hopefully Bachmann will announce next month that they are to produce a nice 45/1 which will perfect for my new project but who knows probably not!

Thanks Ian I will place a wanted advert soon.

Thanks for the link Ian, just had a look. It has been very hard not to order a model of 45128 and 45103! Might have to get one soon but knowing my luck Bachmann will announce one so will wait until after their announcement!

The other day I touched up the sides on a couple of the inspection pits as I was not 100% happy with the look on some of them. Now I am happy they can all be given a quick spray of Halfords matt white plastic primer followed by a coat of matt white. Then I can concentrate on weathering the insides before light work on the outside walls and rails.

Once they are ready, I will glue down the 1mm plasticard and then get the inspection platforms glued in place on top.

How about these - I have plans for 45003 - not cheap though.

Headlights non-operational but could be easily converted.

http://www.themodelc...&exact_match=on

Ian

Unfortaunately TMC isn't doing them models anymore since Bachmann only did a run of each model for so long. I emailed them asking how much they were. They replied with the answer, "Due to Bachmann only doing them as a limited edition they were only doing them as long as Bachmann had them instock."

So unfortunately they are now rare as anything, when they come up on ebay grab one asap!

45106 would look great inside the shed or just outside of it with a few other peaks!

Hi Simon, 45120 is a nice model but a bit before my time, the sealed front version which will suit my time period better.

Thanks for the information Ian, I will keep an eye on ebay. Will see if I can find my model of 106 and take a photo of it inside the shed.

Peter, Hopefully Bachmann will announce a Peak this year!

Thanks for the photos Grunfos, some lovely ones there. Like the peak outside the front of the shed with a few 58s for company!

Some serious BR Blue going on there! I like the split box 37, I plan to get the Bachmann 37049 when it is released. Think that will look rather nice sitting outside the shed.

Eventually I would like to have a model of a 45, 56 and later a 60 up on jacks. With the two type 5s having roof panels open and the 60 with engine room doors slightly a jar to allow the power unit to be seen. Although that is some way off yet!

Did someone do a limited edition Ixion or am I thinking of something else?!!

This week I have been doing some further work on the lower floor between the inspection pits concentrating on raising it up using some plastic sheets and acrylic. This in turn has allowed the floor to be level with the top of the inspection platform base. You can see from the following photos that the floor is higher up the side of the inspection pit wall.

IMG_4179s.jpg

IMG_4202s.jpg

IMG_4210s.jpg

IMG_4212s.jpg

There are gaps on the inspection pit walls towards the front of the shed which need filling in after I made some small changes to allow the new pieces of plastic to fit in place. This will hopefully be done this week. The gaps between the inspection platform bases and the acrylic floor pieces will also be filled in.

The pits and platforms are still a bit uneven but once glued down they should be fine. I am quite pleased with how it is looking.

This morning Royal Mail delivered something for my depot which I am very excited about! :D

I will post some photos later.

• Like 2

A big thank you to Chris and the team at York Model making for all their help and hard work in creating the latest pieces for Boxenby, the brick work for the inside rear of the shed. They have done a superb job and I am really looking forward to seeing it in position.

These are the pieces that will make up the main wall at the rear and also the wall which is set back behind roads 13 to 15. Various stores are situated behind the main wall.

Also included are pieces to make up the two buildings, one which houses offices and the other something else not sure what! Both sit in front of roads 10 to 15. The doors and windows have been cut out and look fantastic.

IMG_4226s.jpg

Here are a few photos showing how the two buildings should look.

A quick mock up:

IMG_4230s.jpg

IMG_4232s.jpg

IMG_4234s.jpg

All the brick work will be painted white with the doors being painted grey.

Once the brick work and buildings are in position this will make a big difference to the look of the rear of the shed.

• Like 2

Hi Alex,

This is turning out to be a rather special layout. I really like the way you have gone out to make (or have made for you!) bespoke parts for this project. It is an inspiration and just shows what can be achieved with a little lateral thinking.

Regarding Ixion, I have one of the limited edition models, and I'll dig it out to find out who made it. It is in green - post resoration if I remember. I do recall it came with a very nice wooden box, but it is one of those that was always destined never to be played with, sadly - but beautiful all the same. I also have a model of '106. Despite it's age it even runs quite well on DCC.

I hope you don't mind me saying, but have you considered lighting the inspection pits?

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the kind comments. My thinking behind the inspection platforms came about after looking to see what was available in either ready to go or kit form and not finding anything that was suitable. So my attention turned to bespoke modelling and although I thought about making my own with so many to build I was worried about getting them uniform. I don’t mind making a one off but to make twelve platforms, with five versions and slight differences with some, was just too much for my modelling skills. The only option was to get the parts produced for me and then my only worry was could I put them together and get a decent end result. Luckily I only had one small problem as mentioned before, which was easily rectified. In the end they turned out much better than I could have hoped or imagined. Although they are not exactly the same as the real ones it is a good enough representation. Once the support T brackets (hopefully this will be done later in the week), steps and railings are added and then painted and weathered the platforms will look more like what I am trying to achieve.

The brickwork was pretty much the same as the platforms. Once I saw the number of doors and windows I didn’t fancy cutting these out from plastic sheets hoping to get a good enough result. After seeing the excellent results from other projects created by York Modelmaking I decided that this was to be the way forward for my brick work. I am really pleased with the brickwork and can’t wait to see it painted and in position.

No I don’t mind at all. When I first started thinking about the inspection pits I did ponder having lights inside but thought it was too much work. Oh and my electronics skills are not great so decided against it! It would have been a nice addition but probably a bit too much for me to do. May be next time!

Yesterday afternoon I spent a couple of hours constructing the buildings for the rear of the shed ready for the brickwork. The original wooden buildings were built prior to my decision to have the brickwork done for me so there was a slight difference in size which meant new ones had to be made. Hopefully I can get the brickwork on these later in the week and then make a start on the main wall.

Will post some photos of the buildings later this evening.

Regarding Ixion, I have one of the limited edition models, and I'll dig it out to find out who made it. It is in green - post resoration if I remember. I do recall it came with a very nice wooden box, but it is one of those that was always destined never to be played with, sadly - but beautiful all the same. I also have a model of '106. Despite it's age it even runs quite well on DCC.

I think it was done by Bachmann before they re did the tooling for the newer version!

Thanks Lewis, as much as I would like to run a couple of 60s in and out of the shed, I keep coming up with a list of jobs that need to be done first. Oh and the list seems to be getting longer too!

One day! May be in the summer…….

Thanks Taybridge, I often wonder where I get the patience from! Especially as I would like it finished and ready to run trains now!....

Earlier this evening I arranged the brickwork and buildings to give a mock-up of how the rear of the shed should look. Here are a few photos:

Looking along the main wall at the rear of the shed:

IMG_4236s.jpg

The stores and office:

IMG_4238s.jpg

IMG_4249s.jpg

The building on the right of the office, not sure what this is! :blush:

IMG_4240s.jpg

• Like 3

I thought i would just post a few pics of my peaks!

post-1121-0-00821700-1298333265_thumb.jpg

A view of D172 Ixion 45106 45048 with the buffer kit

post-1121-0-91661800-1298333121_thumb.jpg

Class 45 048 Royal Marines With Buffer conversion

post-1121-0-34667300-1298333145_thumb.jpg

Before Buffer conversion

post-1121-0-66918900-1298333210_thumb.jpg

A closer view of D172 Ixion

• Like 1