Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Don't let all this Scottish Duff talk put you off Alex, 

Stick with your class 58s and 60s. The floor is looking very nice having them pre cut must save you a bit of time.

A friend of mine had his new Large logo class 56 running at a club layout running day that I was invited too. I looked ok and seemed to run well and had no trouble hauling 20+ MGRs. Not cheap though. 

Cheers Peter.

You are right Peter, I should not let them put me off. I am my own man and will make decisions by myself!

Being honest, I should really stick to building up the Type 5 fleet so they have probably done me a favour!

It does make a difference having the pieces cut and the finish is superb. As you say the time saved and the quality of finish to me makes it an easy choice. I am a big fan of laser cutting and Tim does a cracking job. Time is a big factor at the moment as I don't seem to find much of it for modelling!

I had planned to get a couple around my birthday earlier this month, but after seeing the issue with the yellow above the windows and the price, I have not parted company with my pounds! A bit frustrating as I have had some transfers done ready for renumbering.

As has been said on other threads, "if you think it is too expensive don't buy it",...........

Sir, sir, they started it!  :jester:

I have a Large Logo 56 sat on my desk awaiting attention. Those sunken roof grills will have to go. I really don't know what Hornby were thinking of when they decided to put them on the inside of the body. I've not seen another diesel model like it.

The other disappointment is the shade of yellow they've used. It really looks far too orangy for me, to the point where I don't think I'll be able to live with it. That means a partial repaint and the yellow will be by far the most difficult of all the colours to redo. I can't help thinking that I should just have resprayed one myself years ago.

Anyway, hopefully with a bit of work, it will look the part, as it is a nice loco generally and I like my other two Hornby 56s. Not cheap, as you say though, Peter.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, what number are you planning to model? I was planning on 102, 126 and 130 for my first batch.

Not cheap at all, I get the feeling that Boxenby depot might be quite short of 56s when it is eventually finished! :scratchhead:  :mosking:

Hi Dave, what number are you planning to model? I was planning on 102, 126 and 130 for my first batch.

Not cheap at all, I get the feeling that Boxenby depot might be quite short of 56s when it is eventually finished! :scratchhead:  :mosking:

I haven't given it much thought yet, Alex. I'm trying to wean myself off loco and rolling stock projects at the moment to concentrate on the depot buildings. 

Thanks David, if only that were true!

I hope to have the floor finished within the next three months. Is that an achievable target? Not too sure!

That certainly sounds achievable to me and man of your calibre, its that finished painted weathered?

I haven't given it much thought yet, Alex. I'm trying to wean myself off loco and rolling stock projects at the moment to concentrate on the depot buildings. 

I know where you are coming from. I have tried very hard not to channel too much money towards locos when the layout isn't finished. However, that does prove hard at times!

That certainly sounds achievable to me and man of your calibre, its that finished painted weathered?

Thanks David. I would like to hope that I could have the floor down, painted and weathered within the next few months. I need to, this project is dragging on a bit now!!!

You are right Peter, I should not let them put me off. I am my own man and will make decisions by myself!

Being honest, I should really stick to building up the Type 5 fleet so they have probably done me a favour!

It does make a difference having the pieces cut and the finish is superb. As you say the time saved and the quality of finish to me makes it an easy choice. I am a big fan of laser cutting and Tim does a cracking job. Time is a big factor at the moment as I don't seem to find much of it for modelling!

I had planned to get a couple around my birthday earlier this month, but after seeing the issue with the yellow above the windows and the price, I have not parted company with my pounds! A bit frustrating as I have had some transfers done ready for renumbering.

As has been said on other threads, "if you think it is too expensive don't buy it",...........

Belated Birthday wishes Alex,

I think buying a cheaper class 56 and repainting it would be the go though time consuming if you have a few to do but then you can do both body types.

Cheers Peter.

....yes but what other plans have you got other than Boxenby Alex?

No rush -  once the sides are on it will look something else  - I have binned more projects than I can remember.

Ian

Hi Ian, funnily enough, I do not have any other plans except trying to get this project finished before I retire!

There are a couple of ideas I have for potential layouts that I would like to model but they are pie in the sky.......

I am looking forward to seeing the cladding added as well, not sure when that will be though. May be after the floor is down.

Yes but you don't have a serious OCD problem like me! :)

Belated Birthday wishes Alex,

I think buying a cheaper class 56 and repainting it would be the go though time consuming if you have a few to do but then you can do both body types.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter. That might be a better idea. Still, no rush eh, I need a layout to run them on first!

Grids will play a big part in Boxenby so will have to have a few Large Logo 56s.......

Thanks Class60lover. Enjoy your day at Toton.

• Like 1

I have enjoyed reading this topic and look forward to its development. I too like 58s (have a railfreight and a coal sector) along with 47s and 56s. Wanted to get the new Hornby 56 but just cannot justify that price !!! 

Regards 

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

The inside of the depots looking superb now with the floors in place. Also enjoyed the videos too. That 31 is a noisy little so and so. We've got it as well and you can here it down stairs in the living room when it's running in the loft!!

Don't worry about the driving, mines no better on our latest video. Which is slightly worrying considering my day job. HaHaHa.

Look forward to another instalment.

Marcus.

I have enjoyed reading this topic and look forward to its development. I too like 58s (have a railfreight and a coal sector) along with 47s and 56s. Wanted to get the new Hornby 56 but just cannot justify that price !!! 

Regards 

Scott

Hi Scott, I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed reading my thread, thanks for taking time to visit.

If you hadn't noticed, I do quite like type 5s!

Yes me too, as has been discussed on other threads, the prices are getting silly. Totally agree with you, very difficult to justify purchasing.

The inside of the depots looking superb now with the floors in place. Also enjoyed the videos too. That 31 is a noisy little so and so. We've got it as well and you can here it down stairs in the living room when it's running in the loft!!

Don't worry about the driving, mines no better on our latest video. Which is slightly worrying considering my day job. HaHaHa.

Look forward to another instalment.

Marcus.

Thanks Marcus, I am very pleased with how the depot floor pieces have come out. Much better than I could have hoped for to be honest.

I will try and take some better video clips over the next week. Yes it is, very noisy! I do like the 31, rally want an Original Railfreight one!

I am considering swapping the chassis from my sound fitted 60048 and putting it under a Petroleum sector 60......might have to do that!

I would blame the controller but that wouldn't be fair.....What do you drive?

After a two week break I am now ready to crack on with some modelling and hopefully get this depot floor finished!
In readiness for getting the inspection pits in their permanent place, I have been preparing the cosmetic fishplates to add to the rails.

Flickr appear to have fixed the link issue:

19859867643_f6ac7e14d7.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

20294115059_df7b49b7d4.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

These have been given a coat of Halfords grey primer and then a coat of matt black.
Hopefully later in the week I can give them a bit of dirt/rust/grime to blend in with the rail colour.

Whilst on the subject of rail colour, I have an issue with the paint on the rails peeling off which is very frustrating!
This all started when I added the dummy inspection pit lights to the inspection pits using the trolley that my Father kindly made. The trolley clipped on to the rails and unfortunately removed some of the paint in the process.
Originally, the pits were first sprayed with white primer, then given a coat of matt white before the rails were painted several coats of different Humbrol and Phoenix colours. Recently I tried painting the areas where the paint had peeled off again with primer and then coats of the relevant paints, only to find that the paint has come off again………extremely frustrating!!!!
Could anyone please help and suggest a solution please as it is starting to annoy me! Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated. I am keen to get the floor down but until I am happy that the inspection pits, including the rails, are finished I cannot move forward.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Grimleygrid
  • Like 4

Hi Simon, to be perfectly honest I am not a member of the collectors club and must have missed the announcement, so thanks for letting me know!

To answer your question, yes I am! Just found a few photos on Flickr of her with, as you say, fellow blue 20075. In a strange way I think she looks quite nice in very faded and work stained condition! Sounds like it was withdrawn in October 1990 and left at Toton, so that would fit in very nicely with my time period and the Boxenby fleet!

I wanted to post a couple of photos from Flickr but cannot get the links, for some reason it just locks up, very frustrating!

Hi Alex,

Nice shot at Springs Branch. I am tempted myself to get the collectors club model, however as you say it looks better in its weathered state. I think it may be easier to achieve this by respraying a class 20 myself - bonus of doing this is I could do 20028 to go with it.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon, you are probably right, might be easier to respray one, or two if you would like 028 as well! Unless of course you are going to model them in their Thornaby looked after state?!

Hi Ian, it may well be the nickel I am not sure. But it is only where the trolley caused the paint to come off and require attention. In the areas where the original primer and paint was used it is fine. Whilst it is indeed inside the depot, I would like to be confident that the paint will not peel off again, especially if photos are to be taken!

The actual areas are not that large but it is just a bit of a pain. Hopefully I can find a fix and move on......

Nice photo, if you modelled that I am not sure how real it would look as there seems a lot of clutter?!! Are those the orange pipes used for the cables to go underneath the track?

Yesterday evening a start was made on wiring up the dead end road inspection pits and hopefully over the next week or so, roads 5 to 15 will have power. I want to know that there are no issues with the electrics before getting them ready for their final position.

• Like 1