Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Coming along nicely

All the detail your doing will look great in photos when it's finished

Thats if you can say a layout is ever finished!

I know mine certainly isnt!

Cheers

Ben

Thanks Ben, I am hoping that when eventually finished, whenever that may be, it will not only allow for enjoyable playing sessions as well as a nice diorama for photos. As you say, is a layout ever finished?!!! I would like to at least finish one!

Nice videos grimley, glad to see your progressing nicely

David

Thanks David, I have to confess to running my 31 and 60 again yesterday. It is nice to be able to see something running after 5 years!

Over the weekend wires have been soldered on to the rear of the dead end road pits thanks to Grimley Senior and hopefully by tomorrow evening these 11 pits will have power. I am looking forward to testing them!

Couldn't resist taking a photo of these two yesterday whilst out in the train room:

20652509559_7931639374.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

• Like 6

Thanks Marcus, I am very pleased with how the depot floor pieces have come out. Much better than I could have hoped for to be honest.

I will try and take some better video clips over the next week. Yes it is, very noisy! I do like the 31, rally want an Original Railfreight one!

I am considering swapping the chassis from my sound fitted 60048 and putting it under a Petroleum sector 60......might have to do that!

I would blame the controller but that wouldn't be fair.....What do you drive?

Sorry, haven't been on for a while. Yep, good idea blame the controller. I drive for GBRf so Class 66 predominately although I've got a couple of Class 20s today on an S stock move. Also various units as well. Signed 37s, 50's and 08s in pres as well. So no excuse for any poor 4mm driving HeHe!!

Sorry, haven't been on for a while. Yep, good idea blame the controller. I drive for GBRf so Class 66 predominately although I've got a couple of Class 20s today on an S stock move. Also various units as well. Signed 37s, 50's and 08s in pres as well. So no excuse for any poor 4mm driving HeHe!!

No need to apologise Marcus. It must be the controller!

I feel sorry for you having to drive sheds!  :sarcastichand:  :derisive:  :P

I like the sound of a pair of 20s, Choppers all the way!

Whilst at work today I received a couple of video clips from Will;

Superb!

Another four inspection pits now have power thanks to Will and Grimley Senior. Great work chaps and a big thank you from me!

20663609218_260ffeabe8.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

20663608538_f4d4d4c05b.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

20663556130_0d1fa50d59.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

I do like the tail lamps lit!

It really is great to be able to run some trains.......

• Like 4

Evening all,

Today I have continued to wire up the pits at Boxenby with Grimley Senior using the Palatine Models rail droppers. Apologies in advance for the poor phone pictures, it really struggled to focus on the small details.

First I file the bottom of the rails to remove the excess paint and ready the rail for the solder:

20833397712_5b81eda08b.jpgHow to: wiring up by Southwich Railway, on Flickr

Next I solder on two 'blobs' of solder onto the bottom of the rail ready for the droppers:

20656241169_4d685b3887.jpgHow to: wiring up by Southwich Railway, on Flickr

After this, using a pair of pliers, I solder on the dropper just heating the solder that's already there and holding the dropper in place:

20221974273_bdccc8a1fd.jpgHow to: wiring up by Southwich Railway, on Flickr

Then I bend it through 90 degrees using pliers:

20654971668_58794767fd.jpgHow to: wiring up by Southwich Railway, on Flickr

Next I bend the dropper wire into a little hook and pull it through the dropper:

20220353594_cd3da46a63.jpgHow to: wiring up by Southwich Railway, on Flickr

Then attach it using a small blob of solder:

20654915750_a80b6436bf.jpgHow to: wiring up by Southwich Railway, on Flickr

The final product, barely visible and will be covered up even more by the ballast:

20654917910_6b000f49e0.jpgHow to: wiring up by Southwich Railway, on Flickr

Hope that is useful.

Thanks,

Will

• Like 2

I have been out to the train room and taken some video clips of movements but unfortunately we are having issues uploading the file.

All 15 pits now have power which is good, it is a relief to know that they work okay after all this time!

Hopefully I can get the video online shortly.

• Like 2

Hi Alex,

Pics look good, getting things running is a real milestone. I think the class 60s look great in the old triple grey liv. Looks like you have a few. lol

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, you are not wrong, being able to actually move a loco is a real milestone reached for this silly project! I love it already, whilst moving a loco 600 odd millimetres may not sound like much fun, it is if you have waited for over five years!

Sector livery was the best livery for the Brush Beasts, really suited them. I have a few and must get more of them!

Don't let Mrs Grimley know, but I cannot wait for the Heljan 60 to come out! :secret:

Yes very nice, I need to add a 60 & a 56 to my fleet. 

I can thoroughly recommend them , especially the 60, it really is a fantastic model.

Well at last we have been able to upload the video clip from last night, hope you like it!

Apologies in advance for the jerky running of a few of the locos but some of them have not been run for a good few years. Luckily enough I have a rolling road which was purchased recently so I will be able to run them in.

Problems with link so have posted again below

Edited by Grimleygrid
  • Like 1

Yesterday evening the wiring continued with five of the dead end roads now having power being fed from both ends. Hopefully over the weekend the rest of them can be finished.

Whilst out there I couldn't resist a bit of sector 60 action!

20756854140_db532ccda3.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

20756963628_0e0327a603.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

20758159149_bdac0b1bb4.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

20323895553_b14b3ccb50.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr