Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Dave "Tetleys" Shakespeare

• RMweb Gold

Quite inspirational. From what I have read and learned over the years there do seem to be cases where once the body stops fighting all the junk food we eat it can sometimes cope with other problems like cancers. So all the best to you.

Don

• RMweb Premium

There's no doubt that all the junk food is a problem. But to put things into perpective a little, I cut out flour-based products from my diet for the most part and feel so much better for it even though I'm not unwell otherwise. Combined with removal of pre-cooked ready meal foods and other stuff that is processed, and you have a recipe for what is in effect a 'hunter-gatherer' diet which contains less but better quality red meat, increases in fish and poultry, and keeps out anything processed. The human body hasn't evolved to deal with the additives (artificial or natural) that get used to make food last longer on the shelves, so making sure all food is fresh (or fresh frozen) and then cooked by hand is 90% of the win.

However, this is getting off-topic a bit, so just to finish, we're still all behind you Dave, whatever choices you make to get through.

I'll leave the arguments on food to better informed members and I sincerely hope we all respect each other's opinions and not get into any slanging match I certainly don't subscribe to eating anything fast food or ready meals and we always thought about what we ate, I am a dedicated omnivor and I do miss the variety but needs must, I will be vegan until I am told by doctors to eat animal protein as a necessity to recovering my physiacl strength and muscle since it does appear to have benefitted my improved condition. However, I'll repeat once again, Julie and I are fighting a battel stacked heavilly against us, we've won our first skirmish but the war is a very long way from being won.

Thanks for your your inputs and I hope the help others also now where are my new railway plans?

Dave Shakespeare

now where are my new railway plans ?

Thats the spirit Sir, a healthy appetite for model railways will do you a world of good. Take it easy, just do a little bit a day when you feel like it.

Best wishes

Brit15.

Hi Dave

Really sorry to hear the sad news and wish you well in your fight , always enjoyed seeing your work on the exhibition cicuit.

Yourself and layout always known and respected in the Yorkshire area.

Hugh Flynn Normanton & Pontefract RMS

Friends, modellers and fellow RMweb' ers,

After a great British year in sport the phrase "an emotional roller coaster" has become a bit of a cliche although I greatly admire what each of the athletes achieved and I will never become complacent about their almost expected winning ways.

Following my own  recent 'emotional roller coaster'  life has been a living nightmare and unless served with the 'ultimate evicition notice' with no chance of a stay of execution nobody can believe to understand what thoughts, regrets, emotions, anger even, that thrash about one's head and I include the victim's partner, family and close friends, I have felt deeply for them all. Gilberts opeing to this thread was not exagerated and reading one's own obituary whilst still alive is more than a little surreal and certainly many tears were shed at Tetleys Towers, I will never be able to express my most very sincere gratitude to all of those very generous sentiments, offers of prayer and support.

However! I have been given not just a lifeline but a miracle. I won't bore you with the details but thanks to Julie and my determination and my insistance of sacrificing any personal discomfort,distress and despite impossible odds I was given a 'going through the motions' biopsy with little or no hope of hitting the prime cancer cells. The miracle happened for me and the medical team have been outstanding and will probably use my case as future 'best practise' rather than a forlorn hope let's hope others may now get to grasp a similar life line.

I am to start chemo therapy next week, there is no guarantee in life except eventual death and taxation but I have been handed an opportunity rarely given, it will not be wasted.

Dave Shakespeare

• RMweb Gold

Dear Dave,

I hope that if I ever have to face what you have too, then I will do it with the guts that you have. You make any problems that I have pail into insignificance. 

KBO as Winston Churchill used to say, 'Keep Bu**ering On.'

Kind regards,

Nick. 

Great news, here's hoping for the best possible outcome against all odds. Keep fighting. When I mentioned your illness at one of our recent club nights, much admiration and good wishes were expressed. So, best wishes from the Scarborough DRM, those who have met you, and those who only 'know' you through your outstanding modelling. Our thoughts are with Julie as well, as you recognise her fantastic support, those nearest and dearest are often overlooked.

Best wishes,

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Legend has it that there are actually THREE sure things in life, 

Death, taxes

and Nurses (so I am reliably informed)

Keep up the fight, there will only be light at the end of the tunnel if you have already built the tunnel. (portal)

The very best

Regards

Ian

So there's to be no sale of buildings then ?

Blimey, talk about dangling a carrot !

( Dave, brilliant news, hope to hear about your continued recovery and progression with T3).

The sale of buildings is very much carrying on. Andy Y and Gilbert were helping in what I had already decided but given my circumstances it became a matter of urgency to remove one more 'white elephant' I may have left Julie with. it had become clear that I needed to start from scratch if my next layout was not to just be another re-hash or make over of Tetleys Mills, well known buildings would have detracted from my desired end product. Also they wouldn't actually fit in the reduced width base boards needed.

I would have Ebay'd them had I remained in full health but now with Andy and Gilbert's help they can at least remain within The RMWeb family so to speak and I prefer them to go to appreciative new owners.

Please folks bid on them and share images of their new homes here on RMWeb.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

So there's to be no sale of buildings then ?

Blimey, talk about dangling a carrot !

( Dave, brilliant news, hope to hear about your continued recovery and progression with T3).

Got to sell the buildings to pay for that juicer he's been dangling the carrots in!

Bravo Dave!

Got to sell the buildings to pay for that juicer he's been dangling the carrots in!

Bravo Dave!

The juicer was an eye waterer and that was my whole future modelling budget and some spent but with continuing to regain strength and general improvement of my previous shot to pieces liver I'm never going to regret buying it but without it and the  miracle that has followed  the modelling budget would have spent on other 'arrangements'.

Destitute but Happy of Ancaster.

I can't add to the many superlatives that have, quite rightly, been posted about Dave on this forum. Suffice to say. like so many others, I was stunned by Dave's bad news and I am so very pleased to learn that the prognosis is changing.

Cancer is a strange beast, but it isn't the always invincible monster it's depicted as, so keep up the struggle.

iD

Cancer is a strange beast, but it isn't the always invincible monster it's depicted as, so keep up the struggle.

iD

Very true that. My brother in Wales was killed by a late diagnosis. Sending "poop" in by post doesn't cut it.

Best, Pete.

I take it that's not a Hex Frog Juicer then, Dave :no:

A juicer will be some of the best spent cash you'll ever lay out.  I'm the world's worst for bad living, but growing wheat intolerance, juicers and real soup making machines have even started to get me making lifestyle changes.

Enjoy those flavours, matey!!!

• RMweb Premium

Red meat. Setting aside the horseburger jokes, red meat is indeed stuffed full of growth hormones and antibiotics.

British reared meat is very strictly controlled and hormones are not used, and anti biotics only used for poorly animals.*

The US was very big in antibiotics hence the MRSA issues partly caused by everyday usage of anti biotics in food animals.

For red meat in the UK a decent butcher will supply you with good quality meat.

* I have relations who farm cattle.

British reared meat is very strictly controlled and hormones are not used, and anti biotics only used for poorly animals.*

The US was very big in antibiotics hence the MRSA issues partly caused by everyday usage of anti biotics in food animals.

For red meat in the UK a decent butcher will supply you with good quality meat.

* I have relations who farm cattle.

Your point is taken and I am happy to be corrected. I only wish the same could be said of meat produced in other countries. I think many of us agree, though, that reducing red meat intake is generally beneficial to health.

I'm some way from returning to an omnivor diet, my self imposed vegan diet is perfect for receiving chemo and reaping full benefits, after that I'll be guided by the doctors since I do need to get my muscles back quickly thereafter. I will likely stay with white meat and fish but I don't think I can resist a single locally reared Lincolnshire Red beef steak from our local village butcher as a special one off treat, I don't have anything against eating cuddly or furry creatures per se and before the recent revelations on dodgy foreign meat we always bought British and never ate junk nor prepared ready meals.

When I get through this I will be following a much more disciplined diet.

Dave

I have been without computer for several days so it was great to read about your plan to make a fight of your cancer, I wish you the very best of luck. I think that attitude is a big part of recovery plus all the other available options.

Your contributions to RM Web are excellent and make you amost a part of the family, there must be very many RM Webbers rooting for you.

Edward

Dave,

Great to hear the generally more upbeat tone of the last week or so; best wishes for your continued fight back.

Fascinating also to hear various comments over the importance of diet (some of which I'd heard but others not so). Taking careful note, as prevention is better than cure as they say... Can I also give a mention to good old fashioned water (ie the drinking of lots of it)? I've only recently come to appreciate the benefits of this. :drink_mini:

Graham

Archived