Perth Model Railway Show 2013

Waverley47708

A very busy show this year with some of the aisles almost completely blocked thanks to the "I've got to have my rucksack on my back at all times" brigade. Lots of new traders who hopefully will like the show and come again. I would have liked to see more of the smaller niche traders but its certainly the best show in Scotland after the Glasgow one. I'm not a 4mm modeller but I was interested to see the minor scrum at the Hornby stand where there seemed to be some new 6-wheel coaches on show(?) Is it me or is there less and less second hand stuff at shows this past year or so?

We were lucky with car parking this year as a lady was just coming out as we arrived and slipped into her space.

A very busy show this year with some of the aisles almost completely blocked thanks to the "I've got to have my rucksack on my back at all times" brigade. Lots of new traders who hopefully will like the show and come again. I would have liked to see more of the smaller niche traders but its certainly the best show in Scotland after the Glasgow one. I'm not a 4mm modeller but I was interested to see the minor scrum at the Hornby stand where there seemed to be some new 6-wheel coaches on show(?) Is it me or is there less and less second hand stuff at shows this past year or so?

We were lucky with car parking this year as a lady was just coming out as we arrived and slipped into her space.

got to agree regarding the rucksacks.i seen one guy with a big heavy jacket on and a big rucksack looked as if he was ready for going hillclimbing.i was hot wandering around in a t shirt god knows how hot he got :no:

One small criticism - In the hall that the "paying customers" were directed into (with the "ride-on" train) - The aisle spacing could have been a wee bit wider - in particular where two traders stalls were opposite each other and the space was barely wide enough for the punters looking at the goods each side and the people who were trying to pass through between them - no possibility for two-way traffic there :O  :no:  :nono: - a small point that should , perhaps, be taken into account in the planning for next year :)  - otherwise an excellent show - quiet initially, but "heaving" by lunchtime and on into the afternoon

• RMweb Premium

A great show,thoroughly enjoyed it. Highlights for me Newcastleton, Perceton, St Morten (full of Swiss gorgeousness) and Flemingsburg Junction. A fair smattering of interests there. Great trade support although some of the prices for second hand were really laughable.

Car parking, if you can't get in car park, stick it in the station car park £3 for a day, no problem. It's a 5 minute walk.

Some other small observations: £6 to get in,it's a bit much to then ask for an extra 50p for the show guide. Come on it should be included in the show price.

You might need a bigger area for friends who want to catch up. There were a number of occasions where friends were having a right good natter either in front of a trade stand or exhibit ,blocking access for others. They weren't looking at the exhibit just having a right good natter. Nothing wrong with that , but it would be polite to allow others access.

But these are small points. Great show Perth. Look forward to it every bit as much as Glasgow

• RMweb Premium

Oh meant to add Hornby had a P2 body on display, along with Sentinels. Although not really interested in buying one they did look very nice. Also we're showing Duke of Gloucester. I did take pics but never sure how to upload them on here.

didn't anyone take a camera ?

Just uploaded all my BlackmillPerth photos here:

http://s1214.photobucket.com/user/Anas_platyrhynchos/library/Perth%20Show%202013

they're pretty much straight off the camera which, one day, I'll learn to use to it's full capabilities and start taking decent pics with!

Car parking, if you can't get in car park, stick it in the station car park £3 for a day, no problem. It's a 5 minute walk.

I popped over to the station when I couldn't find a space in the car park, but the signs seemed to imply it was for station users only? Either way when I went back round to the venue car park I hit lucky as someone had just left. I'm fairly knackered after 3hrs drive each way so the lesson learned here is book cheap advance train tickets! Problem is £30 for fuel is always going to work out cheaper than the train.

Had a really good day out, didn't spend too much, favourites Blackmill, Cadham Bay (love the fire scene!), Fastleigh.

Just a quick note to thank all exhibitors and visitors who attended the exhibition.

The winner of the Best layout Shield by public vote was Greig MacKenzie with Poulton- Le- Fylde.

Glenrothes MRC won the Ten Commandments/Greenscene Trophy for scenic modelling for the hotel building on Cadham Bay

Blackburn MRS with Blackmill won the Jimmy Robertson Cup for best layout as decided by our committee.

Jon Denning won the Robert Bruce Memorial Shield for best scenic modelling on Flemmingsburg Junction

Regards,

Stan

• RMweb Premium

On behalf of the Blackmill team, a big thank you to Stan and the rest of the team at Perth for the hospitality over the weekend well worth the 500 mile plus round trip.

We were delighted to receive the Jimmy Robertson Cup and congratulations to the other winners and layouts.

Blackmill is back in the loading bay at the clubrooms needing to be shifted upstairs in the next couple of days - thankfully we now have the use of a lift.

We hope that Perth MRC had a successful show and if you need us again, you know where to call!

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a good show!

What new stock was out on Blackmill this weekend mate?

Also, where did the neon 'fish and chip' sign come from please?

It was a good show.

The TTA fuel tanks and "NMT" 2 with 6264/999559/977983/9481 and 999508/9714 were my main items having a full weekend run. (I did have other yellow stuff, but there's only so much they'll let me put on...............)

Probably some more new stuff when we'e down your way for Folkestone in October (Blackmill's next outing)

The neon sign was from Express Models.

Cheers,

Mick

A link to one of the regional daily Scottish papers coverage of the show.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/perth-kinross/perth-model-rail-show-an-express-success-1.108567

And some photos of the show including the long que on Saturday morning outside the centre.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/perth-kinross/gallery-perth-hosts-model-railway-exhibition-1.108493

I really enjoyed the show this year and was good to meet some of my fellow RMWEBers over the weekend.

well i must say i had a good time at the show over the weekend, newcastleton ran well except for a mysterious interaction between the inner and outer tracks but this was the fault of the heat and a faulty plug which was repaired. and a first, i managed to buy no loco's, 2 Dapol staniers and a few figures and lamps but nothing major for a change so i never got the usual row when i got home haha.

my j37 ran well also on the pick-up goods sharing with glen loy although, i am going to have to alter the j37 chassis as it was misbehaving slightly when reversing into the yard, that apart a good weekend and i look forward to the show next year.

May I on behalf of my colleagues on "Meopham East Junction" thank Stan and his team for a wonderful weekend.  The long journey was always going to be worth it for the scenery but the reception from the visitors was equally as good.

On a personal note, I offer a special thanks to Stan for allowing my long time friend, now living locally to Perth, into the hall with his Vincent Series C Rapide  outfit. I do hope we didn't freeze the demonstrators as he left.

post-276-0-61889600-1372771906.jpg

For devotees of this mode of transport, I draw your attention to the red arrow pointing to a large lead casting which John attaches whilst travelling solo. He names it "The uncomplaining passenger". 

post-276-0-07993600-1372772196_thumb.jpg

I hope I can get into the "Hospital Gates" team when it comes over the border to this wonderful show!

Hi Stan, 

another great show well done to you and your team. A great selection of layouts really enjoyed blackmill, poulton,st marnock,elliot bridge and cadham bay. plenty of traders to spend my money. :sungum:

Already looking forward to next years show. 

cheers  joe

Hi Stan, 

another great show well done to you and your team. A great selection of layouts really enjoyed blackmill, poulton,st marnock,elliot bridge and cadham bay. plenty of traders to spend my money. :sungum:

Already looking forward to next years show. 

cheers  joe

Thanks Joe! Glad you enjoyed it and that the layouts and trade met your expectations. I'm keeping next year's guest layouts under wraps just now.......

May I on behalf of my colleagues on "Meopham East Junction" thank Stan and his team for a wonderful weekend.  The long journey was always going to be worth it for the scenery but the reception from the visitors was equally as good.

On a personal note, I offer a special thanks to Stan for allowing my long time friend, now living locally to Perth, into the hall with his Vincent Series C Rapide  outfit. I do hope we didn't freeze the demonstrators as he left.

attachicon.gifP1030427.JPG

For devotees of this mode of transport, I draw your attention to the red arrow pointing to a large lead casting which John attaches whilst travelling solo. He names it "The uncomplaining passenger". 

attachicon.gifP1030430.JPG

I hope I can get into the "Hospital Gates" team when it comes over the border to this wonderful show!

I certainly hope to see you back in Perth! Thanks for bringing Meopham East, a great layout. I always wanted a 12":ft "vehicle" to appear at the show but always imagined it would be a railway-related Scarab or something like that!

Guest 40-something

Just a quick note to thank all exhibitors and visitors who attended the exhibition.

The winner of the Best layout Shield by public vote was Greig MacKenzie with Poulton- Le- Fylde.

Glenrothes MRC won the Ten Commandments/Greenscene Trophy for scenic modelling for the hotel building on Cadham Bay

Blackburn MRS with Blackmill won the Jimmy Robertson Cup for best layout as decided by our committee.

Jon Denning won the Robert Bruce Memorial Shield for best scenic modelling on Flemmingsburg Junction

Regards,

Stan

Great show Stan,

Spencer, Bill and myself thoroughly enjoyed exhibiting Milton Street MPD, and there were a good number of stunning layouts there too - Flemmingsburg had me searching the stalls for US O Gauge...

Looking forward to next year already!

On behalf of the Poulton team I would like to thank Stan and all involved with the Perth show for putting on another great exhibition. I particularly enjoyed Blackmill and Flemmingsburg Junction. Had a fantastic weekend with my new layout Poulton-le-Fylde and was thrilled to receive the Best layout Shield by public vote.

Thanks again,

Greig

Hi Stan,

Thank you for inviting Dale & myself with 'Craster' from the Blyth & Tyne MRS. We had a great time and met some old friends and made some new ones. We also picked up a couple of more invites which Dale is pleased about, not sure how my SWMBO will react to it.

The reputation of the Perth show is aptly justified and you and all the members of Perth MRC should be proud of yourselves for putting on such a good show, with such a variety of layouts and traders.

It seems a shame that a previous post thinks the show was too expensive at £6 and 50p for a programme, I personally thought it was good value for money and probably should have been more, when you compare Perth with other shows of a similar size.

I hope the show was a success, which I'm sure it was judging by the numbers we saw passing through. We are looking forward to seeing you next year with 'Fastleigh', and we have two or three layouts for you to choose from for the return trip to Perth.

Regards

Chris

Archived