BBC2 The Railway: Keeping Britain on Track

Nobby (John)

I just watched the Reading and WCML shows and thought they were great. That guy at Blea Moor has a great job. I think it showed the railway workers in a very positive light.

I think I'll skip the first one, it sounds pretty dire but could it be the show was deliberately making the management look bad? Everyone actually working to make the trains go seems to be given a pretty good run.

One thing I'm wondering is when the perway and S&T people get to sleep? Seems like they work very long and unusual hours. I knew this, but even police officers get moved from day to night shift and back again.

Regards,

David.

As one who has done it in the past, the way to get good quality sleep is to stay on nights long term. Relatively few people prepared to do this however, partly because of the total disruption to social life; I did it while single (and saved enough money as a result to get a large deposit on a house before I was 21). The effect in winter of barely seeing any natural daylight is also 'interesting'; some folks do get the stir crazy/cabin fever problem. It seemed to suit me, possibly more adapted to hibernation than most...

• RMweb Premium

As one who has done it in the past, the way to get good quality sleep is to stay on nights long term. Relatively few people prepared to do this however, partly because of the total disruption to social life; I did it while single (and saved enough money as a result to get a large deposit on a house before I was 21). The effect in winter of barely seeing any natural daylight is also 'interesting'; some folks do get the stir crazy/cabin fever problem. It seemed to suit me, possibly more adapted to hibernation than most...

After nearly 30 years of shift work I agree.  Our doctor at work (In the police) once said that the best shift system was to keep on the same shift so that the body clock gets reset and sticks to it.   He also said that on nights you should stay up after the end of the shift rather than going straight to bed and then get up shortly before going to work.

However as to rotating shifts I would say that there is no such thing as a good shift system only a least worst.

Jamie

One thing I'm wondering is when the perway and S&T people get to sleep? Seems like they work very long and unusual hours. I knew this, but even police officers get moved from day to night shift and back again.

They do rotate between the various shifts, as well as covering overtime here and there. If you work on the railway in many functions, shifts are just something you have to accept. Even a good few office based jobs work hours that 'normal' people would find odd!

• RMweb Gold

It affects drivers, depot staff, signalmen etc etc too. We are lucky to have a six week roster where we do a stretch of 7 nights only once every six weeks compared to every four at most places, ours is due to the double manning only during the day. Traincrew especially have shift start times that bounce around all over the shop starting at 03, 05 then 03 again being an example and is harder on the body than our same start time for short periods. Contrary to the view of the chap in the show the maintenance crews are actually busiest at night as it's the only time they get longer uninterrupted work windows for the bigger jobs. We are all familiar with engineers possessions but every night they are out there replacing treadles, point motors etc that would cause havoc if done during the day service.

So far I've only seen odd snatches of each episode, but I take my hat off to the front line folk who deal with passenger's and their problems day in day out, sometimes I'm so glad I work on the freight side...!

My initial thought on what I saw of the first episode was it all seemed a bit 'staged' but the subsequent programmes look very good.

• RMweb Premium

And you don't realise some of the jobs that have to be done.......like picking up bagged dog crap  from the line in the last episode. I mean if the owners put it in a bag, can they not dispose of it properly!  I despair of people in this country sometimes!  

It does give you a new perspective on peoples jobs and I think maybe will make me more tolerant.........at last for a wee while!

Looking forward to the next one which is on my home turf, Glasgow and Edinburgh. I'd love to see Wemyss Bay featured and why they signal the connecting train away just as the passengers from the ferry reach the platform ensuring we have a hour to admire the architecture of a really pretty station before the next train leaves!. I'm sure there will be a good corporate reason.

...I'd love to see Wemyss Bay featured and why they signal the connecting train away just as the passengers from the ferry reach the platform ensuring we have a hour to admire the architecture of a really pretty station before the next train leaves!. I'm sure there will be a good corporate reason...

Exactly as described. We Myss.

I'm shocked at how expensive it is to travel by train over there. And how badly the privatisation has gone and the effect it is having on cost. What a farce. Of course, we're right behind you down here, rushing headlong to split up our railway (in Sydney's case in just a single city!).

How long do you think this will go on for before the railways are nationalised again? And then privatised again?

Regards,

David.

I'm shocked at how expensive it is to travel by train over there. And how badly the privatisation has gone and the effect it is having on cost. What a farce. Of course, we're right behind you down here, rushing headlong to split up our railway (in Sydney's case in just a single city!).

How long do you think this will go on for before the railways are nationalised again? And then privatised again?

Regards,

David.

But a lot of the fares quoted on the show are the walk on fares. If you book ahead you can get tickets at a fraction of those prices, but having said that rail travel can be pretty expensive these days.

I watched the final programme last night - I have huge admiration for those who work directly with the public. I wonder if some 'customers' may be a little embarrassed when they see themselves on the programme? Hopefully though, it's given a real insight for those who don't work on the railway as to some of the more 'hidden' jobs which exist and keep the railway going.

The final comment from the trackwalker on the West Highland were, I thought, very appropriate :)

I wonder if some 'customers' may be a little embarrassed when they see themselves on the programme?

At long last I'll be rid of the woman in the HST vestibule calling out - "Surely it's illegal to pack people in like this"

I didn't realise a railway official had 'forced' her to travel on that train but thought she had chosen to enter through the door of her own accord ?

Where the punters expect the TOC's to rustle up extra stock from tickles me.

"90 down after striking a pheasant, I've heard it all now" laughed a member of staff at King's X.

Obviously she hasn't seen the damage it can do to a car (or my hire van on the M42 recently).

I felt for the guys at Craigentinny cleaning all the sh*t (literally) from beneath HST sets and repairing the power car after 'one under'.

Or those cleaning lineside drains, unblocking the toilets, picking up their filth from a terminating HST - and that's before we get to the OHLE maintenance guys and other PW staff..

All things the public are blissfully unaware of, but which have to be paid for out of their fares.

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

Really enjoyed it - a great insight into just how complicated an operation a railway is.  I hope that members of the public appreciate all the hard work and dedication of railway staff and can now see that train delays aren't just something that happen just to annoy them.  I was outraged at that passenger who said that the maintenance crews were made lazy by the Unions - he was really out of line and has obviously never had a shovel or pick in his hands in his entire life - he needs to learn to keep his assumptions and generalizations to himself in future.  Also that guy complaining when the train guard had to go outside and check the faulty brake - he ought to thank his lucky stars that the drivers and guards are so safety conscious.

I certainly didn't perceive fault with any of the staff interviewed or filmed as they did their job - they all came across as very hard working and dedicated people (yes, even the management types).  Instead, what particularly struck me is how rude, ignorant, loutish and arrogant members of the public can sometimes be.  My hats off to anyone that has to work in any type of customer service position.

Well done the BBC - I think you've given the railways a fair break this time.   

But a lot of the fares quoted on the show are the walk on fares. If you book ahead you can get tickets at a fraction of those prices, but having said that rail travel can be pretty expensive these days.

This sort of comment isn't new. A couple of years ago I read something similar on another group; indeed one chap kept bagging on about it so much I thought I'd check out whether it was true.

I dug out some old tickets of mine from the late '60s and early '70s (yes, I know it's sad) and compared the prices to the median salaries in the relevant years. I then did the same for the cheapest fares available today. Much to my surprise - and the annoyance of those members whose fondly held belief was shattered - train fares today are cheaper than those at that time.

Chris Turnbull

Guest Tom F

I think it's been a fantastic series, and I very much hope there might be a series 2. The BBC obviously thought enough of it to broadcast it in HD each week and it couldn't have been a better way to finish with some stunning scenery in the Scottish Highlands.

And bear in mind the distances involved KX-Newcastle is approximately 270 miles each way. Most train fares seem to be at worst on a par with what my work pays for motor mileage (and which most of my colleagues complain is too low!).

Brilliant series. Not being a real railway fan, I had no idea half of the jobs I've seen even existed but I'm glad I've seen it so I know why and how delays and cancellations happen on the rare occasions I do travel by rail.

Some of the people shown in the series have been outstanding. In particular, but not exclusively, the chap on the Information Desk who just seems to know everything and applies a great philosophy to his job. The American woman who has obviously grown up in a customer service-oriented country and has refreshingly applied that to her job. The female driver who overcame quite a lot of stereotypical obstacles and a person vs train incident without any obvious adverse hangovers.

There are many more but my summary is that it has converted a quite an impatient occasional passenger into an understanding and sympathetic one. If that change of attitude also runs over into at least some of the people travelling by train daily, it should make a much better experience for the passengers and staff in future.

Fantastic job BBC.

• RMweb Gold

One thing that struck me in this series was how chatty the drivers were compared to the documentaries of the early 90's like Railwatch and Inside Story. Back then it was don't distract the driver and let the second man or an extra do the talking.

Archived