Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

I have to admit I've just been listening to Spinal Tap. Pity I don't have an amp :O  I'm sure the neighbours would love it. :jester:

Duncan

Spinal Tap! Now theres a band to have nightmares about. While I'm not in the industry personally I have a number of friends who are and it's frightening how close that film was to reality! I bet Andy P and George have some amazing tales to tell!

Now! About the trick with the guitar amp. THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! My teeth are still chattering, and they are in a glass in the bathroom!

Regards to all

Bill - Completely-Free-Of-Earwax-Lune

Spinal Tap! Now theres a band to have nightmares about. While I'm not in the industry personally I have a number of friends who are and it's frightening how close that film was to reality! I bet Andy P and George have some amazing tales to tell!

Now! About the trick with the guitar amp. THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! My teeth are still chattering, and they are in a glass in the bathroom!

Regards to all

Bill - Completely-Free-Of-Earwax-Lune

Bill

I also have some friends who were in the bussiness and they have said exactly the same.

You failed to put the warning in your original post about the amp. I was just about to go out and borrow one :O

Duncan - Disappointed Lune

Bill

I also have some friends who were in the bussiness and they have said exactly the same.

You failed to put the warning in your original post about the amp. I was just about to go out and borrow one :O

Duncan - Disappointed Lune

Sorry Duncan,

I was distracted by all the screaming! Mine!

Cor! I bet the woman in the apartment upstairs was surprised when I hit the ceiling!

Oh! What a mad, happy fool I am! :)

Regards

Bill

Hello Lunester's everywhere,Thank you for the warm welcome, l must admit l have been a lune for many years only l spelled it differently,

You all tell of your musical memorie's, well here's mine, back in the early 70s me and my mate were learning guitar, and his step-mum worken in the booking office of the guildhall where all the band's played, so she would give us ticket's every thursday to see the latest's band starting Sabbath, Purple, Free, Whishbone Ash and it was great until one thursday she gave us ticket's for Fu****** T.Rex, we both had hair down our back's, can you imagine the horror T.Rex..

But we used to go and get in round the back nice and early, 2-3 hour's before the band's would come on, so we got right down the front to watch the roadie's set up all the gear, as every band had their own crew, it was great to see how they did everything, then one of them would pick up a guitar and make it talk, they were better than the band we had come to see.

when T.Rex came on they were s**t, after about ten song's Marc Bolan sent the band off for a break, and sat on the stage about two feet fron me and my mate, sat down crossed leg's and sang with his Gibson acoustic guitar, you could hear a pin drop, he was fantastic, l was really amazed,the charisma that guy had was unbelievable went out the next day and bought 'Electric Warrior' (dont tell many people that..

George very sad lune..

• RMweb Premium

Great post George. Looking forward to many more, including double-acts with your "partner-in-crime" (who still hasn't reappeared!).

You'll have already concluded that we're all insane here. I think that's why - when I asked Andy Y he said it was ok - AndyY let us have the Lounge. Tends to keep us from polluting everywhere else!

Tell you what, though. The musical tastes of the Lunesters are beyond reproach.

Anyway, welcome to the Lunester community - and it's great to have your lovely cat avatar along with the felines that myself and Andy (uax6) also use.

Jeff

Hi Guys, thought you might like to see the wiring on an N Gauge layout at this weekend show, SO Jeff any more wires for those Cobolts mate, :no:

post-9335-0-05633400-1361135173_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-14053300-1361135201_thumb.jpg

And before you ask, yes it will have scenics and will be an exhibition layout

Old Lune

P.S. I have not had a read through the post since I was on here yesterday, may have a look later if I don't fall asleep :O

Hi George and welcome to the spiritual home of Lunes everywhere! (Or traditional English eccentrics as they used to call us!)

I must agree with you regarding Marc Bolan. Amazingly charismatic character though I must confess I don't have any of his albums. I'll follow your example with one of my mates, session musician Stuart Houghton's, stories:

Back in the day, Marc and T-Rex were opening for Jefferson Airplane (may have been Starship by then) fronted by the great Grace Slick. At the time Marc was in flambouyant mode and was quite often found wandering about the place wearing a fluffy, bright yellow coat. Grace immediately christened him 'The Little Duck' which Marc hated but Grace insisted on. Opening night and T-Rex are introduced, the band appear minus Marc. It soon transpired that he was sulking backstage and refused to go onstage until Grace apologised. Grace, who was never one to bandy words soon turned up and stood in front of him, opened her coat to reveal a Colt tucked into the wasteband of her jeans said, "Hi Marc, I'm sorry if I upset you with the Little Duck thing and I apologise. Now get on stage and sing or I'll wring your f#####g neck and roast you for dinner you #####!" Marc obeyed immediately!

The nearest I've ever been to musical fame was in the summer of '67 when I attended my first ever gig to see an upcoming young band by the name of Pink Floyd who had just had a hit with See Emily Play at the Gorleston Floral Hall near Great Yarmouth. All I remember of the gig was that it was very loud (almost pain threshold) and the fantastic light show which completely obscured them! During the break I was delighted to find myself in the company of Roger and Nick and had the privilege of buying and recieving a couple of drinks from them as we discussed arty stuff. Syd was wandering around somewhere with a happy, bemused smile on his face with Richard in close attendance. Later on I even helped them load their van, a black Commer with a wide white stripe. A far cry from the mountains of gear carried in later days.

Happy days indeed!

Bill

Welcome back Andy. Happy to see George has kept you safe and sound!

Blimey! What does that guy with the n guage layout do for a living? Build Cray Super-Computers? Good job your next projects N guage. You'll be able to show him how to make a proper job!

Bill

Andy

If you look at Oxted, I've hit the modelling version of the wall today. But, I have remained interested in the topics I follow and managed to catch up on a few that I've either missed or haven't read for other reasons.

Food, I'll leave that one with you :jester:

Duncan - Posting Lunester (only for today I hope)

• RMweb Premium

Polly

Especialy like Nos Da, Mam.

I supose it's because I'm tracing the Welsh part of my family history at the moment.

Many thanks for that.

Duncan

Nice of you to say so.  Fell in love with it on first hearing.

Andy (P).  Don't worry about falling asleep.  We'll soon have you awake again. 

We'll just put the

boxes.gif  SOUND UP.  HAHA     boxes.gif

boxes.gif  SURROUND SOUND  boxes.gif

love it loud lunester

• RMweb Premium

Andy, that wiring is plain ridiculous. If one of those capacitors or chips goes it'd be "fun" to sort it out. Now if the layout is a sideshow to the electronics, I can understand it. But that just turns me off.

In Astronomy it's possible to buy relatively cheap computer-controlled telescopes. Enter the object in the database and the telescope moves to find it. Where's the fun or skill in that? No bl**dy good if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with only your own skills to guide you!!

The viaduct was an impressive beast, I must admit.

Hope to have LOTS of posts from you later today.

Jeff

Andy, that wiring is plain ridiculous. If one of those capacitors or chips goes it'd be "fun" to sort it out. Now if the layout is a sideshow to the electronics, I can understand it. But that just turns me off.

In Astronomy it's possible to buy relatively cheap computer-controlled telescopes. Enter the object in the database and the telescope moves to find it. Where's the fun or skill in that? No bl**dy good if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with only your own skills to guide you!!

Jeff

I have to agree with you on both counts, Technology is great but leaves no real space for true skill and knowledge

Duncan

I suspect that is a DC layout...Superblock appears to be a MREG thing :).  Also, note, it is in N scale, so the track:wire ratio may be a bit distorted by the actual size of the area modeled, especially since the layout appears to be 3 level, with staging on the bottom...

(I still don't like it, it looks very untidy to me, and I'm not a tidy wiring person by nature- mind, the present project has cured many of my worst habits, because otherwise you go stark raving crazy)

James

I suspect that is a DC layout...Superblock appears to be a MREG thing :).  Also, note, it is in N scale, so the track:wire ratio may be a bit distorted by the actual size of the area modeled, especially since the layout appears to be 3 level, with staging on the bottom...

(I still don't like it, it looks very untidy to me, and I'm not a tidy wiring person by nature- mind, the present project has cured many of my worst habits, because otherwise you go stark raving crazy)

James

I think that's a layout MERG use to demonstrate what you can do with their kits. I recognise it from their journal anyway.  Superblock is a different control philosophy to DCC, where you act more as a signalman than a train driver.  I have to admit this one does look a little OTT, but I like it for what it allows you to do.  I'm sure I've seen DCC layouts which give the same level of control (Vine Street Yard?) - and they use a computer to give the control that all that wiring and PCBs give.  Each to their own I suppose...

I spent the day yesterday over in Lancaster at a student archery competition.  It was a team competition and each team selected entrance music - so many cliched tracks, certainly nothing like the eclectic selection you lot were discussing.  Oh, and some were played at about 12...

I drove over via Skipton and Settle - so I got to have a look at bits of the S&C.  Unfortunately none of the lovely kettles that appear on these pages, just a shed, several very bright lights, and a lot of plant.  I think there was some track relaying going on at Settle Junction and the Lancaster branch...

• RMweb Premium

I spent the day yesterday over in Lancaster at a student archery competition.  It was a team competition and each team selected entrance music - so many cliched tracks, certainly nothing like the eclectic selection you lot were discussing.  Oh, and some were played at about 12...

I drove over via Skipton and Settle - so I got to have a look at bits of the S&C.  Unfortunately none of the lovely kettles that appear on these pages, just a shed, several very bright lights, and a lot of plant.  I think there was some track relaying going on at Settle Junction and the Lancaster branch...

Morning Michael.

I used to make that journey extremely frequently. Settle-Skipton on the Leeds-Morecambe line, and then by car when at uni (Leeds). My ex-fiancee was at Lancaster University, so used to spend weeks there. I like the campus and the city is just the right size - though the one-way system can be irritating!

Lancaster Uni was also one of the early venues, in my youth, for concerts: Barclay James Harvest and Focus, amongst others. Great memories.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Having been a telephone engineer I am never fazed by wiring but that layout is ridiculous there are more devices on there than locos. I am sure that you could do the same job with a lot less.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Having been a telephone engineer I am never fazed by wiring but that layout is ridiculous there are more devices on there than locos. I am sure that you could do the same job with a lot less.

Don

Totally agree Don. When I saw it I thought it was a spoof. Still, it must be someone's "cup of tea", so just let them get on with it!

Jeff

I used to make that journey extremely frequently. Settle-Skipton on the Leeds-Morecambe line, and then by car when at uni (Leeds). My ex-fiancee was at Lancaster University, so used to spend weeks there. I like the campus and the city is just the right size - though the one-way system can be irritating!

Lancaster Uni was also one of the early venues, in my youth, for concerts: Barclay James Harvest and Focus, amongst others. Great memories.

One of my ex's parents used to live in Glasson, near Lancaster, so the trip over and driving round the city brought back a few memories.  She really was a lovely lass, and I can't remember being unhappy with her, not really sure why we split up. Hmmm...  :scratchhead:

Monday morning melancholy really has set in today...

Hi Guys, thought you might like to see the wiring on an N Gauge layout at this weekend show, SO Jeff any more wires for those Cobolts mate, :no:

And before you ask, yes it will have scenics and will be an exhibition layout

Old Lune

P.S. I have not had a read through the post since I was on here yesterday, may have a look later if I don't fall asleep :O

Well that wiring is just crazy seems to be an awful lot for what looks to be a relatively small layout, If all that lot was supposed to be underneath the baseboards, I can see why you want to make it more accessible but having gone to all that trouble why not put in a portable server enclosure on wheels at the side of the track.

Access still looks to be difficult reaching over the tracks and their may be scenery over the top of it, not for me  :nono:

Archived