Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

There is Addiscombe I suppose, which you could possibly backdate. It has already been done (or used as inspiration) by Paul Egleton, I have seen it and chatted to him; great layout, nice bloke.

And of course, you will know Addiscombe rather well. The row of shops (and cafes, car dealership and pub) are still next to the old station site, as are the below houses which back onto the old station site on Hastings Road (to the West of the station) and look infinitely modellable if you can get a shot of the back of them (I tried, but failed. You may be able to grab views of similar houses in the area though)

HastingsRoad_zps48c3a860.jpg

Duncan are you looking for somewhere served mainly by electrics or looking for a mix of steam and electric. I am having problems thinking of somewhere where both would feature in a smallish terminus. We had both at Reading but I wouldn't describe it as small. Actually the passenger terminus was quite compact for a four platform one but the shed and goods yard were accross the road.

Don

Morning Don

Realy I'm looking for a mix so the transition period for the southern. 3rd rail realy interests me as well. Having had another dig around this morning while the forum was down, I may go for a modular layout to extend the available space which would mean that I could work on 2 or 3 boards at a time. Something like South Croydon, Horsham or Three Bridges would fit the bill quite nicely.

I am going to treat it as a long term (2 - 5 years) project and if good enough, well, you never know.

Duncan

There is Addiscombe I suppose, which you could possibly backdate. It has already been done (or used as inspiration) by Paul Egleton, I have seen it and chatted to him; great layout, nice bloke.

And of course, you will know Addiscombe rather well. The row of shops (and cafes, car dealership and pub) are still next to the old station site, as are the below houses which back onto the old station site on Hastings Road (to the West of the station) and look infinitely modellable if you can get a shot of the back of them (I tried, but failed. You may be able to grab views of similar houses in the area though)

Jason

Certainly worth consideration. The research will continue.

I'll probably end up with 2 or three that fit what I'm after, draw them up and make a decision from there.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

All three of those are large stations Duncan, and you would need a lot of stock and one hell of a fiddle yard to do them justice, including running 12 car EMU's.

What about somewhere on the old West Croydon to Wimbledon branch? Lots of small stations serviced by short EMU's, coal for the power station (Ikea....), etc. Waddon Marsh for instance, looks interesting (it's not now; it's just a Tramlink halt)

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/waddon_marsh/index.shtml

Jason

I think you may have just hit the nail on the head. I looked at the stations along that line a while ago but for some reason decided against them. I can't remember why.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

FIGHT THE POWER :D :D

Dear Mr. Thomas,

Thank you for your email.

It has been reported that your bin was not presented for collection on 07/03/13; we are therefore unable to return to empty it on this occasion.

Bins need to be presented at the edge of your property where it meets the public highway/footpath before 7am on collection day.

Extra landfill waste can be disposed of at the Redbridge Recycling Centre which may be contacted on 01865 -721 464.

Your complaint has been logged with Ref: 139678 and one of our Field Officers will be in touch with you as soon as possible.

Kind Regards

Miss Silly Cow From The Council
.................................................................................

Most of the bins in the street weren't out front at that time, so I presume a lot of the bins weren't emptied? Can you tell me what an elderly or disabled person who is unable to move their bin is supposed to do, or for that matter how someone in a wheelchair or with a pram is supposed to get down the narrow pavement when the bins are all blocking it? Sod them though I suppose, because if you can save the bin men five minutes per round by not having them move the bin an extra two yards down someone's path then you can pay them £5 less and spend the money on a new shopping centre in Blackbird Leys that nobody wants or cares about instead.

Am I correct in thinking that blocking a public right of way is a civil offence? If the answer to that is yes, then have a little think about it and tell me your conclusions.

So your suggestion is that I walk to Redbridge and back with two full wheelie bins? Rather than that, how about if I walk to University Parks and shove the big bags in the litter bins there, where the stench of six week old refuse can really be appreciated.

We pay a fortune in council tax for the 'privilege' to live in this city, how much of that money goes towards keeping the students and tourists impressed I wonder; probably a much higher proportion than on us residents in the peripheral areas who are just a nuisance.

What is this field officer going to tell me that is anything different to what you copied and pasted from the Refuse Collection template into your reply? If they are just going to be smarmy and reel off a load of statistics about dustbins in a way that attempts to demean and belittle me into thinking that I have nobody but myself to blame for SIX WEEKS of a full bin, then tell them not to bother. If they are going to come round and drag my bin to Redbridge and back, however, then I might just make them a cuppa for their efforts.

Yours wishing he still lived somewhere where the people were nice,

Jason Thomas.

• RMweb Premium

The outcome? They have just been round with a pickup truck and emptied my bin :D

Good for you. I HATE the bureaucrats who try to play it EXACTLY by the book, forgetting that they are in a job to SERVE the public, not the other way round.

But then again, if the tiniest thing goes wrong then they've covered themselves against accusations of not doing the job properly. Kafka-esque, crazy world.

I'm told it's a lot worse abroad - Germany is VERY military in its strictures on bins etc.

Jeff

The outcome? They have just been round with a pickup truck and emptied my bin :D

Funny that.

By the way, as for civil offences, read the following;

"It is an offence to obstruct the free passage of the highway. Obstructions are objects which have been unlawfully placed on or which overhang the highway."

Interesting

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

This must be your latest O gauge roundy-roundy, occupying a whacking 24' x 8'.....IF ONLY!

I'm very pleased you've managed to come up with something to keep you busy and let you "watch the trains go by"....

Glenfinick is sure to look good - so let's see every step of your progress.

You now have THREE active Lunester layouts!!!!  :O  :sungum:

(Maybe we should elevate you and call you Baron bodgit as a reward?)

Jeff

Elevating Lunester

Morning Don

Realy I'm looking for a mix so the transition period for the southern. 3rd rail realy interests me as well. Having had another dig around this morning while the forum was down, I may go for a modular layout to extend the available space which would mean that I could work on 2 or 3 boards at a time. Something like South Croydon, Horsham or Three Bridges would fit the bill quite nicely.

I am going to treat it as a long term (2 - 5 years) project and if good enough, well, you never know.

Duncan

Hi Duncan

How about Dover Priory, campact with a tunnel at both ends.

Ian

Thanks Lunesters.  :fan:  :sungum:  There are a few that I either hadn't considered or had already discarded.

Lots to think about. I'll probably spend the next couple of weeks with track plans, researching motive , passanger and goods traffic and make a decision.

Duncan

• RMweb Gold

can you tell what it is yet?

attachicon.gifGlenfinck First pics 008.JPG

Bodgit

Arrgghhh NO!

I really wanted to follow this one from the start.  Tonight will be my last night for at least a week and when I come back it will be at LEAST 30 pages long with about 3 videos and I will never catch up.  :resent:

It is looking good already.  I shall follow this with interest.  I am not sure I could do N as my eyesight probably would not be good enough, so it will be interesting to see how you do this after working in 0 guage.

• RMweb Gold

Good for you. I HATE the bureaucrats who try to play it EXACTLY by the book, forgetting that they are in a job to SERVE the public, not the other way round.

But then again, if the tiniest thing goes wrong then they've covered themselves against accusations of not doing the job properly. Kafka-esque, crazy world.

I'm told it's a lot worse abroad - Germany is VERY military in its strictures on bins etc.

Jeff

I was talking to a Swiss lady once and mentioned how neat and tidy Switzerland was and she told me that there are laws about keeping your grass short and if your house needs painting and you don't do it the council comes and does it for you and then sends you the bill!

• RMweb Gold

BRM Annual has turned up and features a small 0 gauge Taff Vale layout. A really good example of a compact layout. I operated one of their earlier layouts where the wagons were loaded by spoon from a big tub of coal. On this one it is done via the screens.

Don

What with Jason and his pics from his youth, well I can't find any of me in my pram yet, but here is one of Myself, George, (George T) and his Son Chris on Drums at a Rehearsal / Jam Session, for Stratergy, many moons ago, sorry about Georges Legs, :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  hahhaaa

post-9335-0-57852500-1363220072_thumb.jpg

And another with me and the Silvertones

post-9335-0-20425500-1363220383_thumb.jpg

And another Drummer

post-9335-0-07384600-1363221037_thumb.jpg

I think we had 9 different Drummers :no:

Bodgit :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Did they all go the way of Spinal Tap's drummers Andy?

Hi Jason I am not sure, what happened to them?

We had one Irishman who would get to the gig about 2 in the afternoon and by the time we arrived he had had about 6 or 7 Guinness and one night there was ANOTHER 9, yes NINE, empty glasses behind his kit. He would get FASTER and FASTER as the evening went on and was a total nightmare to keep time with, but a really great guy and a wonderful laugh, hhaha

Andy

Just found another couple of pics, the first is of a very fresh faced 19 year old Lune, THATS 43 YEARS ago :O  with my Ex Works 250 CZ in my parents garden, EDIT = I had hair then :sungum:

post-9335-0-85424100-1363253197_thumb.jpg

and the a couple of years later, me at one of the BBC TV Scrambles at Canada Heights, Swanley in Kent. its in Black and White as it was taken by a newspaper photographer and passed on to me.

post-9335-0-94729000-1363253298_thumb.jpg

Barron Bodgit Von FALL OFF, :O  ouch, :no:  that hurts AGAIN :angel:

• RMweb Premium

Nice photos Andy, especially like the second one. Another one of me, a bit blurry but hitting a rather large gap on my hardtail (e.g. no rear suspension) at a secret place in Kent, which isn't actually in Kent at all......

kent_zps80747850.jpg

Trench is about 6' deep in the middle, the gap is about 16' across and surprisingly, it's very easy. You just need to commit.

Archived