N gauge Class 50

DapolDave

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I agree that you can of course discuss it wherever you wish, it seems a bit 'cutting your nose off to spite your face' when Dapol do have a forum you could copy and paste your message into to ensure it gets noticed.

If it now turns up without the correct tumblehome I imagine you'll be rather annoyed...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Matt that is just perverse. Why not tell Dapol directly as Richard suggests?

If you want a decent 50 tell Dapol of your concerns and be done with it. It is all too easy to miss a post on a forum so telling Dapol direct is the best solution.

Cheers Mike

Really?  For goodness sake.

I have no desire to join another model railway forum - especially one hosted by a manufacturer - which is why I decided to post my opinion here, not there.  Dapol very well could have elected to post the Class 50 CADs directly here in this thread, but as just like I did, it made a decision to make its post elsewhere.

If others think my opinion on the CADs has merit, as I said earlier they are welcome to share it wherever they believe it might do more good.

And no, I won't be annoyed if it turns up with a cocked-up tumblehome.  At £120 per example, I am no longer in Dapol's targeted market!  (At least not until the shops go unload the excess stock at bargain prices like what has happened with the Westerns for the past few months.)

Matt

Edited by oreamnos

• RMweb Gold

If it now turns up without the correct tumblehome I imagine you'll be rather annoyed...

Or by the sound of it, saying that he told them so (or at least posted it on RMweb).

Manufacturer gets questioned for providing a direct route to comment on their work - unbelievable!

• 1 month later...

Let's face it, they aren't arriving this side of 2017.

Might as well buy the far superior and faultless CJM version rather than waiting years for an inaccurate product.

CJM one isn't perfect from memory no lights and how do you know the Dapol one will be inaccurate? Has it even gone to tooling yet, if not changes can be made? I suspect we may get an update next weekend at the Dapol Open day. Personally I can't afford a CJM one and really could wait to 2018 to get a few Dapol ones, certainly for the cost of 1 CJM one. CJM also uses his standard chassis if memory serves so that may be wrong as well. 

Sorry but I am a well known Dapol apologist, so I a may be wrong.

Edited by Tricky-CRS
  • Like 5

CJM one isn't perfect from memory no lights and how do you know the Dapol one will be inaccurate? Has it even gone to tooling yet, if not changes can be made? I suspect we may get an update next weekend at the Dapol Open day. Personally I can't afford a CJM one and really could wait to 2018 to get a few Dapol ones, certainly for the cost of 1 CJM one. CJM also uses his standard chassis if memory serves so that may be wrong as well. 

Sorry but I am a well known Dapol apologist, so I a may be wrong.

Hopefully changes can be made as and where needed. I posted a comment on the Dapol site about the body profile. Given the project has been handed over during its lifetime it will be as well fo Dapol to check various things just to be sure they had been correctly done by the previously responsible persons rather than left for later and then overlooked.

Of course we do not know the Dapol one will be inaccurate, or even expect it to be, but sadly the manufacturers in general, with Dapol certainly not excepted, have given us a number of models where inaccuracies that could be classed as 'unforced errors' have been presented and that could quite easily have been avoided.

Edited by Chris Higgs

Let's face it, they aren't arriving this side of 2017.

Might as well buy the far superior and faultless CJM version rather than waiting years for an inaccurate product.

Just had a look on the CJM website, £545 minimum just for a class 50 body? now that is taking the p***!!

• RMweb Premium

Does Sir want DCC? that's a £70 upcharge!

I've no doubt they're good, but for me they're just not worth it. Not least because RTR has closed the gap to virtually identical. 20 years ago when it was a gaping chasm of a difference... maybe.

When I was close to buying a CJM 92 I thought factory finishes were better too - the painted lights don't look good at all. I get not fitting working lights, but at least glaze them! By the time you've done buffer beam detailing at one end, added the decoder and gone for lightly weathered (in for a penny and that) it's over £700.

Just had a look on the CJM website, £545 minimum just for a class 50 body? now that is taking the p***!!

Hallo,

Don't know what you mean with "just for a class 50 body"? You get the livery number and name of your choice airbrushed by hand and detail painted by hand to a photograph of your choice, This is then fitted to a hand built chassis (each of his chassis are redesigned for every loco) accurate underframe, and bogies. Before all of this can happen this very same man has designed and tested prototypes until he is completely satisfied that his customer base will be satisfied. The chassis runs and runs and runs straight from the box, never need to oil/lubricate and guaranteed for life, and has a pulling power to beat any mass produced factory model in the British N-Gauge market.

If someone chooses to afford them that is his/her choice. If someone chooses to spend his/her money on something else that is his/her choice. And because Chris Marchant has been in the market for 30yrs or so the standard of factory produced models in N has made the advances that it has. His influence should not be understated.

AND

he sells his product and has no lack of orders so you can only conclude that he has the price set to the correct level

es grüßt

pc

Edited by Padishar Creel

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Apologies for remaining slightly off topic, and irrespective of pricing and features, but I would just like to acknowledge that Chris Marchant has been a huge help to Revolution Trains and has generously shared with Mike and me his wisdom, guidance and encouragement.

While our TEA tankers and Pendolino are Rapido models, they owe, indirectly, a significant debt to the feedback and assistance CJM has given and for which we are very grateful.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 8

post-1746-0-46374200-1475013083_thumb.jpg

Just for good measure, another CJM Class 50. Just a personal view, but I doubt the Dapol one will get close to the CJM one in terms of looks and performance. But..... they are different price points so there's a place for both.

Thankfully CJM launched this as the Dapol one has been some time coming and may be some time yet. I fully appreciate the cost rules some out.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Seeing as Dapol appear to have ditched the class 50, why don't Farish update their version instead?

Farish have already announced their plans, Dapol postponed their model after this so perhaps next year Farish might revisit but it would be a complete retool so not a quick option probably meaning a post 2020 release unless they already have something in development but unannounced.