Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Landslip at Hatfield & Stainforth

Very interesting. Same vantage point? Where did the trees and the S&T cabinet sprout from in order to appear in the latest picture but not in the others?

Sorry folks, I messed up there - too many photos to choose from.

The last photo of the triple view in post 374 is from the road bridge near Thorne Junction, and the first two are from the bridleway (Cuckoo Lane).

Will try to do it again properly later on. Oops.

[Later... Now fixed.]

(given the amount of activity there, it wouldn't actually surprise me to see equipment cabinets being moved around, and I did see trees being moved by an excavator, but they were "re-planted" unceremoniously into a dumper rather than back into the ground!)

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 1

Yes, they're still saying possibly July in the press release of about a week ago on the Network Rail media centre site.

The rumours we hear aren't quite so optimistic!

The Hensall and Sudforth resignalling is now back on track for August too now that Selby has been postponed.

with painted reference numbers for location (presumably)

That's exactly what it shows - tells you which bit it is and the Points number, whic will refer to the number on the panel.

• 2 weeks later...

Another visit this morning, Fri 7/6:

From Cuckoo Lane bridleway, you can see the area of the landslip (where the track was all buckled) is all back down to the same level as the track. No actual track down on the ground that I could see. There's a big pile of ballast being delivered in artics and moved into a heap by a bulldozer. There's still a shuttle of big dump trucks removing spoil from the heap and taking it towards Thorne Junction.

At the station end, track panels and sleepers being delivered, and a couple of wagons and a rail crane. Also a coal train being loaded.

Photos later.

Right, photos from today, 7th June:

From the station end, general view showing a coal train*, and beyond it, the levelled trackbed, then beyond that, a heap of ballast. The angled thing sticking up above the loco is an artic tipping new ballast:

post-6971-0-52122800-1370624984.jpg

Near the station, a rail crane and a couple of wagons, also new track panels and sleepers being delivered and stockpiled at that end of the site. [Edit: looks like crane runner, crane and possibly a Salmon? The monster road crane that was there last time I went, 25 May, has gone]:

post-6971-0-79512000-1370624985.jpg

Then from the Cuckoo Lane bridleway bridge, a general view looking back towards the station, including the rear of that coal train. In fact there's still a little bit more spoil to shift from part of the track bed on the right, but most of it's cleared down to track level:

post-6971-0-96377400-1370624986.jpg

and a wider view showing the winding gear, a tipping artic arriving, a dozer on the ballast heap, some dump trucks taking spoil away:

post-6971-0-57829600-1370624983.jpg

*according to real time trains,

0628 Doncaster Down Decoy Gbrf to Hatfield Main Mining arrive 0712

load up and away as:

1110 Hatfield Main Colliery Gbf (via Kirk Sandall and Maltby) to West Burton Ps (Gbrf) arrive 1332

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 6

Seems strange that the ballast delivery and spoil removal is being done by truck rather than rail given the line isnt being used for anything else ...

Unless there is no capacity left on the adjoining lines because of diversions perhaps?

Seems strange that the ballast delivery and spoil removal is being done by truck rather than rail given the line isnt being used for anything else ...

Unless there is no capacity left on the adjoining lines because of diversions perhaps?

The spoil is only being taken a short distance, to the other side of the pit, I believe. As for the ballast, it would be very difficult to unload, as the only track where there is access along the length of the train is the one which is being used to load coal trains. I can see they're using tippers to bring the ballast in; I wonder where it's coming from, as there are no sources of suitable material for a hundred miles or so, at least. Might it be coming by rail as far as a nearby railhead, then brought to site by road?

On the subject of coal trains; I note that the wagon on the one in view in posting 381 appears to be in EWS Maroon, and yet the text mentions a GBRf train..

• Like 2

Most of the spoil is going just round the corner to near Thorne Jn, and doesn't use public roads, hence the monster off-road dump trucks. I believe some spoil, possibly recovered ballast/bent rails/broken sleepers, has been taken by train from the Thorne end of the site.

For the ballast delivery, I don't know how far and from where where it is coming, but the destination pile is on part of the site with no rails, so they'd need some form of road vehicles in any case to move it from train to stockpile. None of my photos show the name of the haulier, and I didn't think to look.

• RMweb Premium

One think that surprises me is that they presumably are just going to reinstate the ballast without putting down any membrane style material or dig down then lay a bed of course stone first (unless that is what the pile of larger stone in the pic is for)

One think that surprises me is that they presumably are just going to reinstate the ballast without putting down any membrane style material or dig down then lay a bed of course stone first (unless that is what the pile of larger stone in the pic is for)

It's possible there's more digging to be done. Maybe the colliery-side clearance with big excavators and monster dump trucks is just to take it down to track level, then it's the job of NR/contractors to deal with the track bed in a more "delicate" fashion? Only speculating. On another forum, someone suggested the larger stone could be for sub-base for the track.

On the subject of coal trains; I note that the wagon on the one in view in posting 381 appears to be in EWS Maroon, and yet the text mentions a GBRf train..

The real times site gave GBRF as the designation on the start/destination points, but doesn't actually show the operator of the train. Maybe one of the loco recognition experts can help from the best crop I could manage from today's:

post-6971-0-04486800-1370634491.jpg

Back in April, that working was was 66746, which is apparently GBRF.

Edited by eastwestdivide

I should imagine the freight companies will be thrilled when normal service resumes ! Taking the "Binliner" trains from the Manchester area to Roxby Gullet, as an example, the diversion adds around an hour in each direction onto the journey time, so I understand.

Just imagine the extra fuel being consumed over a month, for instance. I wonder if any compensation might be available sometime later, or will the freight operators just have to grin and bear this extra cost ?  

In theory we have to foot the bill but I think there must be a lot going on behind the scenes to chase the colliery's parent company for compensation.

And it's not just freight companies - there have been major changes to services on the North bank too.

The insurance company(ies) are already involved I am led to believe.

I think they were pretty much straight away.

I've heard a lot more than I can share publically about the goings on and the various knock effects of the whole incident.

Services resuming 8th July according to Network Rail:

http://networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/News-Releases/Rail-services-to-resume-through-Hatfield-Stainforth-1db5.aspx

and follow the links for info on engineering works deferred and brought forward.

Plus technical details here:

http://networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/News-Releases/Rail-repair-at-Hatfield-Stainforth-1db2.aspx

Get those pictures while you can!

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 2