Landslip at Hatfield & Stainforth

• RMweb Premium

I think that some coal is still coming down the Settle Line?

P@ 36E

Yes - to the Trent and Aire Valley power stations - both DBS and Freightliner.

Also Fred operated 6M11 Killoch - Fidler's Ferry (by my back door)

Cheers,

Mick 

• Like 1

I think I must have been having hot flushes....I've lived here over fifty years, WHY would I suddenly think that coal and ore would come from the Donny direction?

(Wanders off muttering...)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Interestin that right up until the new spoil heap, there was a "drain" right under it. I wonder what happened to that?

Hi Jeff

You mean P i 5 5 y Beds Drain that I mentioned a couple of pages ago.

The 1969 Mines and Quarries Act was brought in force because there was a tip built on known springs and streams that slid and killed 116 children and 28 adults on 21st October 1966. But last time I mentioned the act I was told off.

Edit: Added salutation to Jeff, posted while in a hurry, sorry.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

I would be amaZed if they had just built on top of it.

Everyone who knows this area knows it would be under water if it weren't for the Dutch engineers who drained it, and that the DRAINS are vitally important.

They must at least have piped it in? Surely?

If they didn't, they deserve anything they get thrown at them.

I was on the rail replacement bus today, according to the drivers Hatfield station is not a particularly good spot to get in and out of with a coach, which may influence that thinking,  Plus a section of the local population round the station tend to be "unwelcoming"  to visitors.

Having said that this morning as I was walking to Kirk Sandall a 158 headed towards Doncaster so there may have been thoughts towards what Jim has suggested.

Regards

Simon

ive only been there once to have a quick survey of the relay room if i recall. a group of youths walked past with bolt croppers and hung about as they had clocked the vans and were still in the area when we left, no doubt up to no good once we were out of site.

• RMweb Gold

(As it was mentioned earlier in this thread) Sadly Daw Mill is confirmed as closing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-21696875

i wonder if the closure of daw mill (and hatfield) is the first stage of me turning into an "old hand" driver now?

when i drive out with old drivers they sometimes say "i used to go into there with such and such a job" pointing at some long defunct sidings or new housing estate next to the track, daw mill and hatfield are the first couple places on my route card that are likely to not be there soon!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the pictures on the Network rail site and also the blog on the British Beological survey, movement of the spoil is fascinating.  the structures and trees on the east side of the line are tilton towards the railway as if the spoil has dug underneath them and is then being reflected back at their roots/foundations.  Obvioulsy a nice job for any civil engineer who wants to make their name, as long as they get it right.

Jamie

It's my understanding that the waterlogged nature of the land allowed the weight of the tip to slide UNDER the rail lines, lifting them and then moving them south.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They are going to have to be very clever to overcome the water/drainage problem around this area.

P

Stephenson did it at Chat Moss and that was without the benefit of 21st Century technology and materials science.  It will be done again.

• Like 1

Presumably the railway worked without major problems, starting whenever they first built it and continuing up until the spoil heap had been piled up alongside and started slipping.  If the spoil heap is removed then there's no reason why the reinstated railway should have any problems. 

Edited by Edwin_m

If you "simply" remove the spoil heap (which is not remotely simple and would probably take years) then the resulting removal of the massive weight will itself cause all kinds of redistributions of pressure in the soggy ground and it'll move in all sorts of other interesting ways.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If you "simply" remove the spoil heap (which is not remotely simple and would probably take years) then the resulting removal of the massive weight will itself cause all kinds of redistributions of pressure in the soggy ground and it'll move in all sorts of other interesting ways.

But the theory remains sound. In practice there probably won't be the need to remove everything, some spoil removal, some improved drainage and various other ground strengthening techniques will sort things out in a reasonable timeframe. Thats not to say it will be easy or cheap of course, but it is still very much a 'doable proposition, certainly far more realistic than talks of new chords or new alignments.
  • Like 2

If you remove the weight of the heap (if you could which has its own logistics questions and would take years) you would then have to wait a very very long time for the land around it to stabilize because it will all flow (at very low speeds for the most part) towards a new equilibrium.

There are as you say ways to tackle bits of it (and also to build sections line on something akin to a raft), but I would still be surprised if its open before December.

Alan

Edited by Etched Pixels
  • Like 1