Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Thanks Dave. The trackwork on waton was very much in my mind when I made the decision. I suspect I will use easitrac for the plain though and deal with gauge change issues at the points.

Cav

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Dave. The trackwork on waton was very much in my mind when I made the decision. I suspect I will use easitrac for the plain though and deal with gauge change issues at the points.

Cav

Sounds like a plan. The gauge change is so small accommodating it within the point work is realy not a problem (IMHO).

Cheers

Dave

I agree 0.2 mm each side over the length of rail into the business bits of the points should prove simple enough and cause no running concerns.

Cav

Edited by RBE

Seeing as you will be compressing just about everything from station platforms to sidings, the trains will stand some shortenning to. It is suprising how daft scale length trains can look so I wouldn't worry if your RMC Roadstone working is only 10-15 wagons long. Our eyes only see bits of real trains at a time anyway and it's only when we count wagons passing that we realise how many whereas a guess might be far short of the actual number.

My plan isn't compressed really. I have drawn the track plan directly over the google terrain map of the location, however I do believe that because in real life we see trains head on and low the trains don't appear that long. When modelling a full length train it seems too long to our eyes so shortening them a little makes them sit better on the model.

Cav

Haha yes that may well be the case. I wonder where you stop with sound though. I don't think that I can afford to get sound in all the locos but some nice ambient country sounds such as birds and the odd cow might be good.

Cav

• Like 1

Haha yes that may well be the case. I wonder where you stop with sound though. I don't think that I can afford to get sound in all the locos but some nice ambient country sounds such as birds and the odd cow might be good.

Cav

I can do a Cow with flatulance :no: hhahhaaaa

Regarding those N Gauge Society JGAs, I've just bought 5 from the trade stand at the York MRS and they are lovely. Much better looking than the Farish ones. Also managed to get 5 Seacows, 2 Sharks, a Limited Edition Cargowaggon, a BR snow plough as I've seen photos of one stabled at Peak Forest, and 2 Class 47s in Railfreight Distribution livery.

All in all a productive day out! :P

Of what I bought or of the snow ploughs at Peak Forest? :P

I'll get some photos of my haul shortly, but here are a couple of the snow plough for you. Might be worth investing in one for Millers Dale too - I'm sure it would have traveled that way had the line remained open.

g6899960416_44776fe25a_z.jpg

8574619421_df63977723_z.jpg

Edited by DanielB
  • Like 2

Of your haul but nice pictures. I think that you are right about a plough at Millers Dale in fact it would probably have one permanently stationed there as the last station before the junction to Buxton.

Cav

Picture as requested!

5 JGA's, 5 Seacows, 2 Sharks, 4 curved code 80 points, a Cargowaggon, a Snow Plough, 2 Class 47s, some replacement wheels for my poorly Class 37, a set of Tamiya weathering powders and a can of Rail Blue spray paint.

Like I said, busy day! :)

SANY2246_zps61cdc0bf.jpg

• Like 1

Need to rename/renumber one of the 47's though, as it's two of the same loco. Still, for £102 brand new for the pair you can't sniff at that. Very nearly brought back another class 66 to go with my current one but I'm trying to stick to the late '80s, early '90s theme considering those are the days I remember from my childhood.

Feels weird to think back at the Railfreight Sectors coming out as the "new" big thing. That lasted long, didn't it? :(

A bit of a play with my HST. Heres one of the power cars awaiting its matt coat and weathering. The old fairish model isnt too bad really especially with the headlights improved. Ive not gone for lighting but a printed headlight and horngrille set done on photoshop and printed on a sticky label. The whole thing was gloss varished over to seal. I will pick out the lenses again with gloss once matt varnished to represent glass.

post-6894-0-80464600-1365187600_thumb.jpg

Cav

• Like 4

Thanks Andy. Its actually my favourite hst livery. The set was originally a swallow liveried one but I needed to backdate it for my 1987 Millers Dale. Swallow did come into being that year but few cars were that colour and most were exec with a few blue straddlers hanging on if I remember correctly.

Cav

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Of what I bought or of the snow ploughs at Peak Forest? :P

I'll get some photos of my haul shortly, but here are a couple of the snow plough for you. Might be worth investing in one for Millers Dale too - I'm sure it would have traveled that way had the line remained open.

g6899960416_44776fe25a_z.jpg

8574619421_df63977723_z.jpg

Just catching up with the thread.

There's usually two ploughs at any one location - one pointing each way, so they can form a bi-directional train. As your photos show, one at the end of the yard facing south and one in the inspection line facing north.

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. And yes, I know we only had one on Blackmill at the York show.... :scratchhead:

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 4