Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

That is still a BIG un-weildly size of board to manouver about, especially through things like door ways when you have delicate scenary  on mate, I struggle with my 6 X 2 and that is only 10 inches high to the top of the backscene,

Andy

Exactly. Because of the viaduct I cant make it in 3 no 4ft boards as I originally wanted to and again because of the viaduct the backscenes are 500mm from the base of frame to the top.

Its a fair lump. Im planning on boxing in the boards in transit though so as to not expose the scenery to potential knocks when carrying into the venue.

Cav

Hi Cav

Got a response from WNXX regarding the construction livery on Tinsley 37's. Looks like 688 can be the only one. I have posted below the response from WNXX.

"These are the repaint dates from Large Logo Blue/ Red Stripe Railfreight into Railfreight Construction that I have:

37411 10/89
37414 was repainted into Railfreight Distribution 08/89 but had symbols changed to Construction 10/90
37422 09/89
37425 12/89
37676 02/92
37677 11/91
37678 04/92
37679 01/91
37680 07/91
37681 03/89
37682 07/90
37684 ?/89 Would be interested if anyone has an exact date for this one.
37686 05/91
37687 02/89
37688 04/88

37683 was repainted in the newer Railfreight but didn't receive the Construction symbols or any other and I am unsure of the exact date but know it to be around 1989/1990.
37685 did not receive the newer version of Railfreight and went straight from Red Stripe to Intercity Swallow in 10/93"

Thought I would post all dates in case it maybe of help to anyone else.

Cheers

Marcus 

No problem Cav. As I've been chasing 37's for the last 24 years if you ever want any more info on them I probably know a "man who can". Just let me know.

You're right about those viaducts there a helluva height. Got a right case of vertigo last time I was stood on it!! :bad:

About 100ft according to my calculations when I went up there last. 200mm in N gauge. Anyway I didnt get anything really done today as I was on baby duty and shes scared of the electric screwdriver it seems grr. I did manage to get the boards offered up to give an idea of how it goes together. These boards are pretty big.

post-6894-0-77173600-1370211334_thumb.jpg

Cav

• Like 4

Haha not sure thats a good idea on ply as you said. Well I managed to get the frame glued and screwed last night so will have to wait until Saturday to get the front and joining faces jigsawed and the board deck on as by the time I get home on week nights its too late to be jigsawing. More progress then I hope. Heres it screwed and glued.

post-6894-0-21581200-1370552073_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Cheers Andy. Its going frustratingly slow but thats the forfeit of a long hours job and a newborn. It will get there. Hopefully I can have the second board done also by the end of sunday.

Cav

Cheers Jeremy. I'm going for a more robust baseboard design than I did for Outon Road as the boards are bigger. As Ive said before setting up and taking down need to be easier this time around as it used to take forever to get Outon packed away at the end of a show.

Cav

Hi Cav.

Those baseboards are looking really smart. What thickness plywood are you using? Have you used ply fillets in between the two sheet of ply on the beams or some softwood? I'm thinking I'm going to have to shamelessly copy your baseboard design......

Many thanks

Sam  

Its 9mm ply for the frames. The deck which is yet to go on is in 6mm. The fillets are also 9mm plywood cut into 20mm wide strips. These are just glued and clamped until set. Lovely stiff beams once dry.

Feel free to copy. Thats what this game is all about!

Cav

• Like 2

Those base boards are looking really good. I can see from the depth that your layout is going to be seriously impressive. Not only have you got the height of the viaduct to contend with, knowing the area, the topography is even higher by quite a lot. Walking along the Monsal trail it's quite spectacular to come off that ledge where it's a high cutting one side and a near verticle drop on the other and out on to the viaduct. Presuming its the way you do your scenery, a far bit of polystyrene & plaster is going to be the order of the day.

Bet your looking forward to all those cliff faces and rocky outcrops!

Hi Marcus. The topography is quite uppy and downy around the station area. Very much looking forward to replicating it in model form. The cutting just beyond the lime kilns to the east end will become a tunnel mouth but should sit nicely into the hillside there. I will be building the ground up using kingspan/celotex building insulation covered in pva soaked newspaper as is my usual way. The great thing about the insulation material is that it can be used to make rock face in its raw state with no pva/newspaper coating as when the surface is prised away it breaks with a cleavage fracture the same way that rock does giving a very realistic look. In fact thats how they created the rocky cliffs mountains and ravines on the lava planet on star wars revenge of the sith.

Cav

Some work done today. Not sure how much Ill get done tomorrow but hopefully at least get the frames glued for the other board. This board is the viaduct end and as you can see from the later pics in this post the track level is a good way above the valley bed. I can really see how this will take shape once the topography is in!

post-6894-0-69147000-1370720603_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-61907500-1370720623_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-99747800-1370720644_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-80226400-1370720667_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-15377200-1370720684_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Nice to see it progressing Cav. Impressive baseboards. :)

Been out of the game a little due to my puppy sadly passing away, but seeing this is starting make me re-consider the planned baseboards for my big "roundy roundy" layout.

I was going to go with painted MDF for the surface with 2x1 battons to support it, but I'm thinking it might be better going for this ply frame technique you have gone for - would be much lighter and more supportive as my roundy roundy is going to be on two layers.

it's going to be a representation of Peak Forest, so being double layered means I can better represent the decent into Dove Holes tunnel, whilst also affording me the ability to make the whole top layer scenic.

As I intend for it to be - essentially - circular, by hiding the descending tracks from the other exit from the scenic section inside the cliff edges to either side of the Dove Holes end, I could give myself another few feet for the scenic sections.

Bit complex, but it should be doable.

Just means a LOT more wood :P

Edited by DanielB

Sounds good. The ply frames are very stiff and ideal for what you are after. Resistant to flex in all directions. Makes it a doddle to do open frames for multilevel scenic too which it seems you are going for. Its probably not the cheapest in the world but all of the wood for both of my baseboards came in at the £120 mark and that's with the timber merchant cutting it all up for me and believe me there were a considerable amount of cuts and sizes. I was very happy with the service. I'm much happier with these boards over the ones I did for Outon Road which although were very much enough for that layout would have ended in disaster should I have used the same for this!

I'll be very interested in how yours comes along.

Cav

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy. Nothing to really report only that my delivery of plastruct for the viaduct is waiting at the post office for me so the build on that is imminent.

No I havent sold out on the huge benefits of N over OO.

Cav

Edited by RBE
  • Like 2

Guest bri.s

Thats Some very nice woodwork

I can understand about no time I've twin boys aged 3 and a 1 year old daughter

One of the lads hates when I've got the drill going runs in the other room the other would quite happily drill anything he could if he could get his hands on it luckily my layouts up in loft so they can't get near it ( now I've said that they will be up there tomorow)

This is going to be some layout it reminds me of a modern chee tor

Keep up the good work

Hope you will have a little helper in years to come

Can't wait for updates

Brian

• Like 1