Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Hi Cav, remember :O  measure TWICE and cut ONCE.

I am looking forward to seeing the wood from the trees, hahhaa

Bodgit :sungum:

Ah so that's where I've been going wrong. Thought it was cut ONCE go to the builders merchants TWICE!!  :laugh:

• Like 4

Yes the raw timber is lovely actually and top quality. Got it from Ron Curries in Sutton in Ashfield. They have a massive cutting shop in the back as they make doors and windows too. Highly recommended.

Cav

• Like 1

The local timber yard in Colwyn Bay was dead useful and would rip timber if one asked them to. Closed a couple of years ago so I tooled up!

Bench circular I have is useful and saves getting a sweat on but a lethal piece of kit - and I am quite fond of playing guitar - I leave the big stuff to the local wooders (Savoy Preston) who are pretty good.

Ian

Oh itll be no probs Ian, Ive worked out what I need and got them to cut the exact bits for me, all to length and dead square. It would have been far far worse if Id have had to have cut it by jigsaw I can tell you!

Cav

Well heres the two latest members of the Millers Dale crew. Of course both of them will be changed. The 47 will become 47190 in old railfreight grey and the 37 will be a 37/6 in either old red stripe railfreight grey or a triple grey construction loco. Does anyone know when the first of the buxton 37/6s was repainted into construction sector colours? Im hoping 1988 is a goer.

post-6894-0-86837300-1369943218_thumb.jpg

Cav

Edited by RBE
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

. Does anyone know when the first of the buxton 37/6s was repainted into construction sector colours? Im hoping 1988 is a goer.

Hi Cav,

In 1992, 37414, 37422, 37425, 37676-688 were the locos allocated to the Immingham construction fleet that were often found working from Buxton. The same pool also covered the Clitheroe Cement duties, although I'm not certain when the pool took over the Clitheroe workings from 37370/373/379

HTH,

Mick

EDIT: just found 37687 in September 1988 although 687 is a RSH built loco with the extra cantrail grille bars....

Edited by newbryford

Hi Cav,

Are you planning on changing the nose grilles on the class 37 as all the referb 37s had modified grilles yours being a standard has the as built grilles.

How's the Peak going ?

Cheers Peter.

Does a 37/5 count? Pics in this thread in the old forum, including one of mine with a red stripe from 1987 (near the bottom):

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51497&start=25

5s and 6s Were the same on the inside. Exterior differences do occur but the classification for TOPS was 37/5s included the Thornaby Metals fleet, St Blazey China Clay, Buxton Stone & Cardiff Coal.

Buxton had 37676-37688 initially with some 37/4s joining up also once the West Highlands of Scotland had reduced its need in 1989.

Cheers for those guys. Much appreciated. I am planning on changing the grilles yes. I have some etches being made as we speak. Will do the same with a dummy loco soon too to run as a double header. Im hoping to do the loco in construction as the paint finsh is lovely on the coal one and I dont fancy a stripping job on it. A nose grille patch paint and logo change is all I need. Will do the dummy in red stripe though as a contrast. Not finished the peak yet Pete as Ive been off the modelling for a bit. Not cracked the airbrush out since the babies been born. Need to get them done really.

Cav

• Like 1

The construction sector loco has to be before july 1988 as that is when 45110 was withdrawn. I have found a pic of 37687 as suggested by Mick in may 1988 still in red stripe Rf so not a big window of opportunity for the repaint. 2 months from May to July!

The construction sector loco has to be before july 1988 as that is when 45110 was withdrawn. I have found a pic of 37687 as suggested by Mick in may 1988 still in red stripe Rf so not a big window of opportunity for the repaint. 2 months from May to July!

Cav,

688 was named Great Rocks in construction livery at Hindlow in June 1988, it also worked down the Cambrian with 380 in June '88 so I would say that is the first one in it and was the first I certainly remember.

John

Hi Cav

Nice to see a proper loco appearing at last. Don't worry only kidding. I have put a request on the WNXX forum in the liveries & paint section asking if anyone has any dates for when the Tinsley aggregates 37's were painted into construction livery.  If I get any replies I will let you know asap. As John says you will be safe with 37688 as it was named on the 23rd June 1988 at Hindlow works. If you model this one though you will have to make it nice and shiny. 

As well as the grilles being changed there is also the fire extinguisher pulls that on the refurbs is located under the smaller grill on all four corners.

Keep  up the good work.

Marcus

I think 37688 is the one then. Nice chance to have a clean loco for a change. Im aware of the detail differences Marcus I will add the fire extinguisher pulls as well.

Cav

Hi Cav

Nice to see a proper loco appearing at last. Don't worry only kidding. I have put a request on the WNXX forum in the liveries & paint section asking if anyone has any dates for when the Tinsley aggregates 37's were painted into construction livery.  If I get any replies I will let you know asap. As John says you will be safe with 37688 as it was named on the 23rd June 1988 at Hindlow works. If you model this one though you will have to make it nice and shiny. 

As well as the grilles being changed there is also the fire extinguisher pulls that on the refurbs is located under the smaller grill on all four corners.

Keep  up the good work.

Marcus

Big numbers on the ends also in a non standard style. Look forward to seeing this develop as even though I am a 4mm modeller its an era and location with much interest.

Edited by JBM37404

Hi Cav I am keeping an eye on here and it seems like you are having fun, but I would have thought the the base boards would have been built by now, Neil,(Mason) is leaping way ahead of you. hahhaha

Andy

Haha. Im planning on starting the baseboards tomorrow. Week nights are very tight at the mo with working late and the little un. Neil is doing ok but Ill be on his heels soon. MD is a pretty big project scenics wise though so needs a bit of thought.

Ok so some pics of wood going together. Nothing board shape as yet but hoping I can get to the stage tomorrow once the glue has set on these bits. I like to build my boards in a monoquoq kind of way with the backscenes and front facias as part of the baseboard frame. What you see here is the full heights of each side before profiling. Once the glue has dried on these I will take measurements from my plans and cut the lay of the land from the front facias and the end where the board joint is. The back and sides will stay full height for the backscene. My timber yard let me down on the frame spacers. They cut me a long strip that I could chop saw spacer bars from. This was meant to be 75mm to match the frames however it turned out to be 80mm so Im left with a 5mm protrusion to the bottom. No worries though Ill just trim them with the jig saw when the glues set.

post-6894-0-02394100-1370122945_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-69888200-1370122982_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-94083200-1370123000_thumb.jpg

Cav

Cheers Andy. There really is no rush. I rushed Outon a bit to get it done for the competition and it showed a little when it came to getting it to and up at exhibitions. Im planning this one a bit more to make putting it up and taking it down a lot easier. Being 2 no 6ft x 2.6ft boards they are a lot of area to cover in N, the scenics will make or break this one so softly softly I think.

Cav

Edited by RBE