Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Little update. Firstly the signal with specticles done and actuator wire in place. Works a treat and looks very nice. The camera close up is a little crueller than your eyes at this size. Did the specticles with pva glue and food colouring. The blue was dissappointing though so went over that with a blue felt tip. Also the house pic is my next little build. Started it but no pics yet. Ill take some later!

Nice work. Interested in how you got the pivot to work - what did you use/how did you fix it to the arm/did you manage to get the back blind and the balance arm working?

Nice work. Interested in how you got the pivot to work - what did you use/how did you fix it to the arm/did you manage to get the back blind and the balance arm working?

Thanks Ian. I decided not to bother with the blinder as it is crazy small and behind the head youd never see it, I also decided against the working balance weight too purely for reliability though as it is so thin I am scared it will break during use. The pivot is a very fine tube with matching wire inside obtainable from wizard models. Works very well and due to the spring in the guitar string used as the actuator and the fact is goes behind the track circuit diamond it doesnt need anything to hold it in either as the wire does it for you.

Superb Cav! You are tempting me more and more into having my signals working. That house is going to make a wonderful scratch build project. Where will it be sited on the layout as I'm not familiar with the area? Look forward to seeing the build progress.

Best regards,

Jeremy

The house is on the main road at the front of the layout. Its the last house before you get to the viaducts

I like that signal RBE, it definately looks very neat and tidy.

What are you using to illuminate it with?

Missy :)

Cheers Missy. Im making a tiny working oil lamp. Runs out in about 5 seconds though so not so good really.

I wont be lighting them as I will only be running as day and the light on real ones isnt really visible unless its dark. Not even sure that they are even on in the day?

Nice pics Cav, the house would be a build and a half in OO but in N, wow, that will be a challenge. If the row of cottages are also on the layouts how far forward of the Viaduct pillars will they be?

Looking forward to seeing trying to see if I bring my magnifying glass the 37 at Mansfield.

Andy :sungum:

The grain of rice bulbs do look nice but as I said Im not lighting them. How do warm white leds compare?

Andy the houses are not that far forward of the track. The large building to the near side of the road in that view wont be on the plan (it became a craft shop which has only recently closed due to changing premises) the road itself will be at the edge of the board.

• Like 1

I thought I was dragging my feet! Im considering making the house and gardens as a little diorama to plant into the layout after. That way it gets a bit of the scenics done too away from the main boards. Still undecided yet.

Edited by RBE

I thought I was dragging my feet! Im considering making the house and gardens as a little diorama to plant into the layout after. That way it gets a bit of the scenics done too away from the main boards. Still undecided yet.

One of my earliest model railway experiences was to visit the home of a teacher of mine, who also happened to be a family friend. He was building a large TT gauge GWR model in his loft; by the time I saw it, it had already taken him nearly 15 years to build. Not many 'lifetime' projects like that these days... ;-) I suppose you have more incentive to get a move on if you have an exhibition deadline to meet.

Yeah it can take years sometimes but as you say when theres a deadline to meet! In all honesty I wouldnt want it taking years to build, for me the chance to show the layout and chat to the public at exhibition is a big draw for me. I enjoy that side of it as much as the modelling I think.

Ive been playing with the 3D printing again. Firstly a NEM coupler for the Dapol hst. Ive ordered a set and will update you when they arrive. Secondly a VEA van body to fit the peco 10ft chassis. I know the chassis isnt correct for the VEA but the new body at least looks like one rather than Pecos generic wooden bodied version. The peco van roof should fit or a plasticard roof can be made. I dont think 3D printing one would be cost effective. Ill print a test sample in FUD soon.

post-6894-0-39142900-1393405698.jpg

post-6894-0-65915000-1393405707.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 9

No worries matey. Im waiting for these to come back so I can pop em ona pair of coaches to make sure they get around the curves and look ok on the straights. You dont happen to know wether the power car NEM box is the same distance back from the corridor connector as the stock do you? Would be a right pain if it needed different length couplers.

Ok so the VEA body is mega expensive! (For what it is). However Im considering getting one adding a roof and then resin casting in multiple to get the cost per item down. Would such a van body be interesting to anyone else?

Edited by RBE