Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Cheers again all. That board is only the first half, 6ft long and almost 3ft wide. I think the size is made to look bigger by being multilevel with the track 200mm higher than the road/river. When finished the whole thing will be 12ft long. In OO that would be 24ft. The bridge and stone approaches are about 4ft overall in length, in OO that would be 8ft which was the full length of the scenic part of Outon Road!

• Like 1

Superb Cav, I thought the 37 looked good but now seeing the photos with the 47 in, wow. Seriously good.

You must be very pleased with how it is looking, it certainly gives you an idea of what the layout will be like when finished. Loving the shot looking up at the underneath of the metal work, absolute quality.

How do you make progress so quickly?!!! I never seem to get anywhere despite spending several hours modelling a week!

Quick progress I am annoyed at how long its taking!! Cheers for the comments though mate. It really does set the scene. That view up at the bridge is rather good if I do say so see below.

post-6894-0-26294400-1391789377.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Cav,

Just been catching up, and it's looking good. Now that you have the bridges almost sorted I presume you will be cracking on with track laying? 

I like the signal too hard to believe it's 2mm in some pics. 

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter. Ill be getting some track down once the viaducts are complete. It will be easier to model the stonework away from the layout so track has to wait until then. I then face a marathon polystyrene shaping excercise to infill those hills and river valley. Itll be nice to see taking shape though. Theres a few structures to build too such as a cottage at low level the old lime kiln by the viaduct and the wriggly tin cafe and b and b on the station road at the top. Im thinking I need to get the backscene painted prior to all this though.

Edited by RBE

Morning Cav, I looked at the pic above and thought you'd finished, hahhaha

Coming on well mate, if its not the Dogs doo dahss then I don't know what is, the distant shot with the 47 really puts the whole thing into perspective.

You will need some big strong barriers at shows to hold back the crowds I recon.

May see you at Mansfield with Neil.

All the best,

Andy :sungum:

• Like 1

Magnificent work there Cav, slowly starting to run out of available complimentary words to describe your efforts. Would love to see your bridge photo shopped onto a picture of the real scene. I think it would be incredibly hard to spot the difference between yours and the real thing. Just looking at that last picture I can here the flowing water of the river. Probably the most prolific sound when you are stood there. Of course it would sound even better with a couple of "tractors" growling over the bridge as well!!

Marcus

Hand cut ply arch formers or routed? - what sheet covering will you be using the pillar colours on your image looks quite bright as if blasted whereas most of the stone on arches and walls around here are a weathered grey / black - the arches are huge cut stone carved blocks (maybe there is a name for them?)  I had a close up look at Hoghton Viaduct on the Preston to Yorks line on a recent walk and it is one absolute work of art - 1844 and still going strong after 170 years.

post-7252-0-38454100-1391869675.jpg

......Viaduct carrying Blackburn and Preston Railway over River Darwen. 1844-46;
company Engineer Joseph Locke, Resident Engineer T.W. Flanagan. Rock-faced
sandstone. Three semi-circular spans of 65 feet rising from 2 rectangular
piers in deep gorge of river, carrying track 116 feet above river bed;
corbel table to parapet. Construction took 18 months from laying of first
stone in December 1844.........

Are those bridges insured Cav...?!!!! 

Excellent.

Any updates on exhibition dates - going to be a definate crowd puller.

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 1

Hand cut ply arch formers or routed? - what sheet covering will you be using the pillar colours on your image looks quite bright as if blasted whereas most of the stone on arches and walls around here are a weathered grey / black - the arches are huge cut stone carved blocks (maybe there is a name for them?)  I had a close up look at Hoghton Viaduct on the Preston to Yorks line on a recent walk and it is one absolute work of art - 1844 and still going strong after 170 years.

attachicon.gif060618002a.JPG

......Viaduct carrying Blackburn and Preston Railway over River Darwen. 1844-46;company Engineer Joseph Locke, Resident Engineer T.W. Flanagan. Rock-facedsandstone. Three semi-circular spans of 65 feet rising from 2 rectangularpiers in deep gorge of river, carrying track 116 feet above river bed;corbel table to parapet. Construction took 18 months from laying of firststone in December 1844.........

Are those bridges insured Cav...?!!!! 

Excellent.

Any updates on exhibition dates - going to be a definate crowd puller.

Ian

The stones round the edge of the arch are called voussoirs and the stone right at the very top of the arch is the key stone.

The ply arches were cut by hand with the jigsaw. Not as bad as I thought it would be. They will be clad in slaters 2mm stone not 100% accurate but near enough. The arches themselves are brick built within the stone which is interesting. Ill be using slayers 2mm brick for those. The colour is lighter than the usual yorkshire grey black sandstone. Ill be using a few layers of various paint coats to replicate this. As for exhibitions I have the prelim at Ponty next year but I cant really pursue anything concrete as the layout may not be done in time.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cav,

For the stone on the viaduct have you considered using 4mm stone, or maybe even 4mm brick?

For the 4mm bridge I built I used 7mm Stone as the blocks used to build it are quite large, and I think the same is true of the viaduct and bridge supports at Millers Dale.

I used 4 mm slaters stone on my n gauge bridge and I do think it does look better for larger stone , I used 4mm for the main arch /body and wings and 2 mm stone above the arch / the wall bit above the road surface (sorry dont know its proper name )on the bridge .

Brian

Edited by bri.s

Im planning on 2mm all round. This pic seems to show the stone rather small. If it looks too small once on I will model the stone in DAS.

post-6894-0-79783400-1391892732.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 3

The construction of the real bridges are interesting to say the least. I should imagine it was a clever choice. The arches would have been built of brick for ease of construction as it would have been far easier than dressing individual pieces of stone to fit. Then for economy the rest of the body would have been built of the local stone which would have been in plentiful supply from the other earth works whilst building the railway. I am sure it will be superbly recreated on your viaduct. I shall look forward to seeing it.

Marcus

Thanks Peter. Ill be getting some track down once the viaducts are complete. It will be easier to model the stonework away from the layout so track has to wait until then. I then face a marathon polystyrene shaping excercise to infill those hills and river valley. Itll be nice to see taking shape though. Theres a few structures to build too such as a cottage at low level the old lime kiln by the viaduct and the wriggly tin cafe and b and b on the station road at the top. Im thinking I need to get the backscene painted prior to all this though.

Hi Cav,

Backscenes are certainly worth thinking about earlier rather than later. I won't make that mistake again, having left them until too late on Llanbourne.

Cheers Peter.

Was wondering about this - it will be a challenge to replicate the actual area -  unless its just clouds? - Andy Y has an interesting thread here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58014-planning-the-backscene-a-view-of-the-bc/

Maybe worth a try?

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail

Im planning on handpainting a replica of the scene prior to adding the scenics. Im not bad with the old brushes and paint so should look ok. The only issue is painting it whilst reaching over a full layouts width. The other option is to paint some thin board and glue it on after. What to do!!