The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Bomber command and Arctic convoy veterans

Downendian

• RMweb Gold

Hear hear

Bomber Command service in both my and SWMBOs families.

Both of these services required crews to set off on arduous missions deep in to enemy territory on which the odds of even medium term survival against useen foes were stacked against them - in most cases with little or no warning nor opportunity to defend themselves.

Surely that required as much courage as individual feats delivered in the heat of battle?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Good news.

Now the only major outstanding issue is recognition of the time many thousands of servicemen spent in POW camps.

Bernard

No Bernard

while it is important there are also the guys like my father who had done a tour on Bombers/Torpedo Bombers (UK and Middle East)  and then flew in unarmed Dakotas to places like Arnhem and across the Rhine delivering Paratroopers and support material have never been recognised - as his squadron had horrendous losses at Arnhem he was always just a bit aggrieved that the work done by what was Transport Command was never understood or recognised - other than the VC for Flt Lt Lord - who's actions were observed by my father in another Dak.

Barry

• RMweb Premium

My mothers cousin was lost flying for Bomber Command and another of her cousins flew Dakotas out in Burma supplying the Chindits and at Imphal when the supplies could only be delivered by air, with the Japanese quite literally at the end of the runway shooting at them!

• RMweb Gold

Just finished reading a book "Bomber Boys" by Patrick Bishop, a superb read and recommended to anyone interested.

Gives a good insight into Arthur Harris and gives a full picture of the area and city bombing carried out and why.

Although it is good to see the men of Bomber Command finally recognised this way, it is sad that there are so few left to be honoured. I sometimes wonder that by going unrecognised we realise just how they were used and discarded by those giving orders.

Far too long in the waiting - a black stain on every government and the MoD since the war - almost as if they were waiting for the numbers to dwindle to nothing. Such a small token of the nation's appreciation of the debt we all owe and of the immense sacrifice made.

I hope that all those who are due to receive the medal do so and can wear it with the pride it should bestow.

• RMweb Premium

According to the BBC website Arctic Convoy veterans are getting a full medal (the Arctic Star), but bomber command are only getting a clasp to add to the 1939-45 campain medal. Hardly the full recognition they deserve.

Bomber command suffered higher percentage losses that the British army did in World War One. Regardless of the politics of the area bombing policy they deserve better.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

The greatest recognition (IMHO) viewed from the perspective of relatives lost / survived but sadly no longer here would be that none of us forget or ensure that future generations never forget the sacrifice and ensure that it never happens again.

I just hope that we never get to the situation where some future Government of this country offers some snivelling apology to the axis powers for beating them.

Oh and watch out the Falkland Islands...........keep the back door firmly locked.

(edited - for spelling that wouldn't deserve any medals)

Specific to the Arctic medal a lot of the campaigning effort came from The Merchant Seamen’s War Memorial Society, based in Alford Surrey. The link gives a fascinating history about how the society came in to being. 

Each June (1st and 2nd June this year) the society throws its doors open for a model boat show to raise funds. It's a fun event and a great way to offer practical help to merchant seafarers in need.

Here's a link to their 2011 event with some photos

Best, Andy

• RMweb Premium

My former neighbour who passed away over ten years ago now was a veteran of the Artic Convoys.  He would speak often of his wartime experiences all over the World but never ever spoke of the Artic Convoy part as it was just too painful a memory.  A small comfort is that he did at least get a Burma Star as he was also active down in that part of the world as well during the war.

Agree that it's about time.  I know very little of the Arctic and Atlantic convoys, apart from having read HMS Ulysses at an impressionable age, so I can't comment there. On Bomber Command, however, regardless of the rights and wrongs of area bombing (on which I try to keep an open mind), I have the utmost respect for those individuals who climbed into fragile tubes of aluminium laden with tons of petrol and high explosive and powered by unreliable, vulnerable  piston engines, were shot at for several hours at a time and, in the event that they survived, went and did it all again.  And again.  And again.  Largely without complaint.

• RMweb Gold

Agree that it's about time.  I know very little of the Arctic and Atlantic convoys, apart from having read HMS Ulysses at an impressionable age, so I can't comment there. On Bomber Command, however, regardless of the rights and wrongs of area bombing (on which I try to keep an open mind), I have the utmost respect for those individuals who climbed into fragile tubes of aluminium laden with tons of petrol and high explosive and powered by unreliable, vulnerable  piston engines, were shot at for several hours at a time and, in the event that they survived, went and did it all again.  And again.  And again.  Largely without complaint.

Just read about convoy PQ17 Pat - That's artic convoys at their worst

Kind regards

Phil

Archived