Project 43 - The North British B-B Warships

Phil Bullock

the article about the hydraulics in the above  looks interesting, does anyone know the source?

Paul

Paul, if you mean the scan I posted of 846 then it's from the Ian Allan BR Fleet Survey book (softback) on the Diesel Hydraulics, you might find a copy on ebay.

Paul, if you mean the scan I posted of 846 then it's from the Ian Allan BR Fleet Survey book (softback) on the Diesel Hydraulics, you might find a copy on ebay.

I loved those books when they first came out - British Rail Fleet Survey Vol 2: Western Region Diesel-hydraulics by Brian Haresnape, there is one on ebay right now for all of £59.99 - comments about which are best left on the ebay idiocy thread

• RMweb Gold

ebay is generally not the best place to look for books. For most titles, there is usually a choice to be had through Amazon Marketplace for half the price or less. 

If you want an example, check out the asking prices for "The Power of the Bulleid Light Pacifics" (OPC) - I got a copy in "Very Good" condition (actually a bit better than I expected from the description) for a tenner plus carriage last week. Mind you, all the others listed are over £30.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

This would be a good livery variation for a future release, and a style unique to Class 43s (846 and 847):

2176214506_883271f8fb.jpgD847_TivertonJunction_9-4-67 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

To correct my earlier post, D830 also carried this livery style, but it was not a typical Class 42 as it was the one with the Paxman engines and therefore non-standard exhausts and possibly other detail differences.

"To correct my earlier post, D830 also carried this livery style, but it was not a typical Class 42 as it was the one with the Paxman engines and therefore non-standard exhausts and possibly other detail differences."

Here is my image of D830 taken at Exeter in May 1967.

post-4697-0-48670000-1437513864.jpg

• Like 7

"To correct my earlier post, D830 also carried this livery style, but it was not a typical Class 42 as it was the one with the Paxman engines and therefore non-standard exhausts and possibly other detail differences."

Here is my image of D830 taken at Exeter in May 1967.

attachicon.gifD830 Exeter May67 Slide 130.jpg

It later gained full yellow ends whilst retaining the number and emblem arrangement shown in the photo. Edited by robertcwp

It later gained full yellow ends whilst retaining the number and emblem arrangement shown in the photo.

Probably without having moved from where its parked too...

IIRC D831 was the only other Warship to carry this livery variant, I've always considered it to be rather attractive compared with the BFYE version?

Edited by Bert Cheese

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ian! Given the amount of work that has gone in to this model via this forum and also directly to Bachmann it would be somewhat disappointing if it doesn't hit the mark

All the magazine reviews to date have been unfailingly positive and the only miniscule negatives I have picked up thus far are:

Over size printed nameplates on blue version

Cumbersome centre lamp bracket

Difficult access in to cabs

All of which should be easily dealt with by serious modellers if they cause offence

Positive and optimistic ? Yes I have to be! I am a fisherman and you don't subject yourself to such tortures as wandering around the Welsh Countryside in the pitch dark of a summer night in the somewhat bizarre hope that a silver monster is going to take a fancy to those few bits of feather you have lovingly crafted in to a fly unless blind optimism rules

But from the railway perspective for me these are THE locos - they are the ones that back in the late 60s really caught my imagination with their wonderful names and varied liveries. They are the missing piece of the motive power jigsaw as far as our layout is concerned and there will I am sure be many many more class 43 workings up to Brum in the Abbotswood parallel universe than ever really occurred.

I also know that our blind optimism has stimulated a few others to build a railway having seen what we have done and if the 43s stimulate us further and drag a few more along with us then that has to be good for the hobby too

Kind regards

Phil

• Like 10

Now on Bacchy web site as due in next 60 days

http://Bachmann.co.uk/new_arrivals.php?prod_selected=2

Yippee.....

Phil

Phil, I'm hoping for a September delivery, only to ease pressure on my wallet, and avoiding the clip around the head from the missus, as I've just had an e-mail from John Hazleton at Silver Fox, that my order for Metro Vic western gas turbine 18100 is ready, running on a Bachmann Cl 47 chassis. If that and the Warships turn up chez mois in August, I'm in for some serious grief - I've already convinced her that my order for a Swindon Class 123 dmu is by converting some of my Mk 1 carriages -oh woe is me.

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear - what a tangled web!

I have manned up and told SWMBO about the 43s that are coming from Rails - but then theres the ones someone has ordered in my name from CMC.....!!!!

And then theres the sound chips .......

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The funny thing is that after a couple of years where I've not felt any great impatience, now having read the magazine reviews and seen pictures here on RMWeb the last few weeks wait are painful. And we also have the Dapol 73 on final approach (finally), it is going to be an expensive few weeks.

• RMweb Premium

it is going to be an expensive few weeks.

That is why Australia ends its tax year in June and starts to pay its people their rebates from July onwards ...... ;)

Trio of 43s, four O2s and an undecided option on a 73 to fund here in the next very short time.  Hotly pursued by the LSWR gate stock and a quintet of 600s.  2015-6 is shaping up to be a time of major fleet enhancements.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Picked up my Maroon version this afternoon from Paul at Alton Model Centre. He tested mine before I left the shop and the running straight out of the box was superb. I am now looking forward to fitting all the extra details, could take up a big chunk of the evening. Paul seemed to have a good supply of all three versions.

All the best

Godfrey

• Like 3

Reckon so - had a call from Rails today re my order

Phil

I'm in trouble. My kerosene castle 18100 is arriving Saturday or Monday and now the Warships as well. A perfect storm and a smack around the head from swmbo. Time to get out the vinegar and brown paper. I'd better work really hard on the hall/staircase decorating this weekend and no sloping off to watch cricket or football.

• RMweb Gold

Hmm - not complaining but already had a chat with Phil Bullock re this earlier by PM. This week 2XTTS 47s and next week two 43s will need paying for. The missus won't be pleased! Preordering is good but unpredictable delivery dates.

Still looking forward to them hugely.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

They  sometimes take a little longer to reach west Cornwall than other retailers (not always) and they'll take a bit longer yet to arrive here by which time they will have travelled from China to the UK to Australia.  Farther than some of the real ones made it in service without a major breakdown!

Pictures will be added to the layout thread as soon as possible.

• RMweb Gold

I'm in trouble. My kerosene castle 18100 is arriving Saturday or Monday and now the Warships as well. A perfect storm and a smack around the head from swmbo. Time to get out the vinegar and brown paper. I'd better work really hard on the hall/staircase decorating this weekend and no sloping off to watch cricket or football.

I don't think you'll be sloping for very long with the cricket. Should tie in nicely with elevenses.

Mike.