Project 43 - The North British B-B Warships

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

We might hope that the class 43 will be all-new though why fix what isn't broken if you can put a class 43 body on a generic chassis?

The older locos have had makeovers at each reissue starting from the Bachmann power train and currently including internal characters behind headcode glazing and illumination of headcodes, cabs and marker lights.

Here's hoping, then, that the class 43 takes on board the comments from the more recent class 42 issues and tones down the lighting which should not be brilliant white but a dim incandescent glow at best.  I also prefer to run my locos with cab lighting off as was normally the case in real life.  Two-position switches are very common now for lighting control but need to be "on-off" not "on white - on red" or "one on - all on".

• RMweb Gold

We might hope that the class 43 will be all-new though why fix what isn't broken if you can put a class 43 body on a generic chassis?

The older locos have had makeovers at each reissue starting from the Bachmann power train and currently including internal characters behind headcode glazing and illumination of headcodes, cabs and marker lights.

Here's hoping, then, that the class 43 takes on board the comments from the more recent class 42 issues and tones down the lighting which should not be brilliant white but a dim incandescent glow at best.  I also prefer to run my locos with cab lighting off as was normally the case in real life.  Two-position switches are very common now for lighting control but need to be "on-off" not "on white - on red" or "one on - all on".

And lets hope the chassis doesn't get "improved" as much as the Class 40 has been - and there is enough space for a decent speaker .

Cheers

Phil

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Photo on Model Rail's Facebook page.

CHRIS LEIGH

Looks good, but a pity you got the green one as I'm more interested in how the red compares to previous Class 42s and Dapols 52s. If I don't like the shade of red I'll probably go for the BR blue one. At the new price I can only justify one at present. Lucky you Phil!

Yippee - 6 on order, how can I get the other 27 in to the house without SWMBO spotting them?

Phil

I've had this problem as my 'Project 1600' enters its mobilisation phase. I have kept a text message from the other half that simply reads 'Stop buying more trains' - that was sent back in May!

The perils of working away I guess!  I'm not always able to contact my offspring in time to have them recover packages to positions of safety (obscurity).

• RMweb Premium

I've had this problem as my 'Project 1600' enters its mobilisation phase. I have kept a text message from the other half that simply reads 'Stop buying more trains' - that was sent back in May!

The perils of working away I guess!  I'm not always able to contact my offspring in time to have them recover packages to positions of safety (obscurity).

Perils of the new job also.

The previous one meant I was always on the same hours and home by 3.45pm.  Well before SWMBO and in time to collect any parcels from the local depot / post office.  

Now it's any shift, any time any day and I'm sometimes home by midday, sometimes not out until 2pm but usually not here to cover my tracks at all ;)

• RMweb Premium

Perils of the new job also.

The previous one meant I was always on the same hours and home by 3.45pm.  Well before SWMBO and in time to collect any parcels from the local depot / post office.  

Now it's any shift, any time any day and I'm sometimes home by midday, sometimes not out until 2pm but usually not here to cover my tracks at all ;)

We buy lots of stuff from Amazon and we both use my card details/account. So if any package with model railways inside does get seen, "it's just another amazon delivery".

Edited by brushman47544

Looks good, but a pity you got the green one as I'm more interested in how the red compares to previous Class 42s and Dapols 52s. If I don't like the shade of red I'll probably go for the BR blue one. At the new price I can only justify one at present. Lucky you Phil!

The green one is fine with me! Didn't like them in any other colour and the slab yellow end was truly horrible! Still it's all down to personal taste....

Bachmann send the different colours to each magazine, so BRM will probably get the blue and Hornby will probably get the maroon. (Bachmann know which reviewers like which period!)

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We buy lots of stuff from Amazon and we both use my card details/account. So if any package with model railways inside does get seen, "it's just another amazon delivery".

The talents for deviancy on this forum are boundless.... "Oh Sinner Man....." "Let him who is without sin....etc.etc..."

• RMweb Gold

I did place my order a long time ago. The price I have to pay will influence how rapidly the fleet grows no doubt!

Phil

This is a serious issue for many modellers. I generally have purchases delivered to my office address however some retailers have delivered, despite instructions, to my home address. Cue "haven't you got enough already?"

Next issue is arrangement of boxes such that the stack doesn't look like its growing...

• RMweb Gold

Certainly is but saving grace here is that swmbo is just as bad with deliveries of quilting fabric. I reckon it's better to have on big parcel too that a continuous dribble of smaller ones...!

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Order now says green one is shipped! :danced: :yes: :)

Very appropriate! Abbotswood is up for filming this weekend - would be great if this arrives tomorrow......

Phil

• Like 2

There was something with the loco which I wasn't expecting; a nice little "Oooh" moment.

I'm sure the aficionados will spot it and it wasn't evident on the EP samples.

Bachmann_Class_43_a_s.jpg

• Like 14

That'll be the air vents under the headcode panel Andy

Nope, I was expecting those from the deco sample, a nice touch that they've got it right for each of the 3 initial releases.

But hope they don't all come with that bent RH side lamp bracket....

They've bent 'em like the real ones! - http://tomcurtisrailgallery.weebly.com/uploads/6/9/0/3/6903499/818swindon06061981_filtered_copy.jpg- it may look a little odd at that abgle I accept.

• RMweb Gold

Lifting rings? 3 link?

Burning question is what are the internals like Andy - has it had the 40 treatment - and is there a decent speaker recess in the chassis?

Cheers

Phil