Project 43 - The North British B-B Warships

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

If we are going down Memory Lane I was fortunate enough to see them all

I saw them all.  I've seen all 76 of classes 41, 42 and 43.  But some of the 43s were already out of traffic by the time I caught up with them.

Smashing reminisces - thanks Gwiwer!

You're welcome.  I could wax lyrical about the 600s as well having been hauled by all five but this isn't the place.

• RMweb Gold

I saw them all.  I've seen all 76 of classes 41, 42 and 43.  But some of the 43s were already out of traffic by the time I caught up with them.

You're welcome.  I could wax lyrical about the 600s as well having been hauled by all five but this isn't the place.

I think I saw all of them (except a couple of the D6XX) when they were brand new (and had 'teething troubles', that later changed to 'its their age' - I'm not sure what came in between those two states).  They were all only ever painted in one decent looking livery with that nice grey line along their flank although the small yellow panel probably added as much as it detracted as the nose ends definitely didn't look so nice once the gloss wore off.  And I think they looked their worst when painted in maroon - a nice proper GWr claret might have been better, but not much, so you can guess which one I'll be buying.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

My 'first'...D804 'Avenger',ex-works,19/04/1959.The essential viewing from the window of a passing Paddington-West Wales train.The classic display backdrop outside the works where 4 or so years earlier,I had spotted 71000, (Oct.1954),just starting her period of testing at Swindon.Not a long space in time before the world of BR was to change dramatically,when you think aboiut it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just had Hattons email to say these are due Aug/Sept and my pre order price has risen to a rather eye watering £115.

and that is probably without Bachmann's across the board 2015 price increases we can expect in March. Hornby's hi-fi diesel loco prices are not looking so high now.

I was looking at two...now probably only one. And I expect I'll be keeping my Class 42s as well even if they follow the Class 43.

Just had Hattons email to say these are due Aug/Sept and my pre order price has risen to a rather eye watering £115.

Yes my pre order price was £76.46. Might rethink this one not something I really need and the Limby one will do fine.

I too got the email quoting £115 today, but my pre-order is still showing £76.46 when I log into my account. Hattons certainly appear to have kept their word and price.

I'd advise anyone with a pre-order to log in and check.

Pix

Same here (re: D865) - email saying £115 but my account still showing pre-order at £76.46 so keeping fingers crossed, price was honoured by the same retailer last year when similar increases were showed for 40141 - think mine arrived for £62.00!

Really looking forward to my BR Blue pre-orders too: 24137, 25286, & 45036 (today notified Oct-Nov15 @ £80.71).

Layout starting to take shape, hope I have a full circuit to run them on by year's end!

• RMweb Gold

Sounds a good bet Neil

Have been working on Trevor at CMC to see if he would commission D838 Rapid MFYE as a limited edition to add to the variety - thought that would be the best bet as short name would make it easiest of the MFYEs to renumber - Pathfinder, Royal Oak and Spartan being the others.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ok yes!!!!

So is it change those - or the lights on a 42 which has the correct fan grilles? Oh but you have to do the zorsts as well......

Hmm - we want 861 too, will have to wait and see, if the fan grilles are etches might be an easy swap or replacement with Shawplan

Phil

It's a long way to go until the money comes out of the account, I've been keeping an eye out on the Hattons pre-order price for quite some time wondering when it would change.

£76.46 seems unbelievably cheap in todays cost (check the basic new wagon costs out)...

Bachmann website gives a cost of £134.95 so on that basis £115 is a real steal - not sure what Bachmann sell them to Hattons for but I could probably guess it would be more than £76.46. I wonder how many loco's they had sold on pre-orders based on the low cost.

Still can't wait for it as it will be a real improvement on the ageing class 42. I just wish there was a full size class 43 around to see and listen to today!

Stuart

I know this is off topic but if I decided to convert my class 42 D809 Champion to be D870 Zulu can I purchase a roof air horn casting? If so where can I get two from?

What other changes would need to be made as well. Would the MSYP be correct?

Thanks for any help with this it really is appreciated.

Stuart

• RMweb Gold

Roof and grilles on that are wrong for 809 - but paradoxically correct for 870

So yup its the air horn cowling - never seen a casting but you could try making or taking ones off a Western body shell?

Probably a few Heljan/lima/Hornby scrappers around with all the new Dapol ones on the market!

MYSP most definitely correct - excellent shot here on Brian Flannagan's Flikr photos has a cracking view of that cowl too

https://www.flickr.com/photos/holycorner/8397628903/in/photolist-6rao4m-auehK6-gdqkr1-6jQ23o-o2C2ic-pgHQzj-mGwXQv-o1M2uA-dN53ve-9AK7t2-8uyhoP-4uiSHv-bRfE9R-4uiSzF

Watch out for OHLE flashes and position of shed plate/stencils/stickers/data panels dependant on your pernicketyness

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

https://www.flickr.com/photos/63924222@N06/9605006159/

Looks a different shape to a Western. You could try fabricating a couple from evergreen U-,section/channeI did the modified one on D1065 using similar (that's a "w" shape one end).

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

Yes indeed

The Class 22 new build group know of one in a container that looks immaculate and runs

And I think the Bury Hydraulic lads have a couple too - and a loco, 832, to put them in?

Phil

Sorry - been away from the internet. Just checked and my pre order is still quoted at £76.46. Don't think I've had this on pre order for that long - was inspired by the preproduction photo's that came out around November.

If you get it for that price, Good on ya.

You`ll be happier with the Warship, than 3 new presflows.

• Like 1