Project 43 - The North British B-B Warships

Phil Bullock

Yes indeed

The Class 22 new build group know of one in a container that looks immaculate and runs

And I think the Bury Hydraulic lads have a couple too - and a loco, 832, to put them in?

Phil

There was some talk of D832 receiving a pair of newly acquired MAN engines a couple of years or so ago, but it seems to have gone quiet since...perhaps they have found another Teddy Bear to overhaul in the meantime?

One reason given for the proposal was to give the group time to overhaul the existing Maybach engines which are apparently getting a bit tired, personally so long as it stays on loan at the WSR/DEPG I'm quite happy with whatever needs to be done to keep it running.

Edited by Bert Cheese

• RMweb Gold

Yup the Bury lads have found another Class 14 - D9502 - to restore. Like D9531 it was in store at Worcester 68/69 - and still carries its original Swindon paintwork, never been repainted!

As for sound files for D830, suspect the 6 cylinder paxman in a 14 sounds too lumpy - might be better off with Valentas from an HST, same engine family if I remember correctly although rather more developed.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Yup the Bury lads have found another Class 14 - D9502 - to restore. Like D9531 it was in store at Worcester 68/69 - and still carries its original Swindon paintwork, never been repainted!

Yes, just seen the photos, an incredible survivor!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well it doesn't look like Hattons are going to honour the pre order price.

"Dear Customer,

I am writing to you regarding an item that you have on pre-order.

Whilst we endeavour to maintain original pre-order prices wherever possible, unfortunately on this occasion, due to Bachmann’s decision to raise their RRP on this item we have had to amend our price in accordance.

I hope this doesn’t cause any inconvenience but please feel free to contact us if you wish to amend or cancel this order.

This item, viewable at http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=60830

Edit spelling

Edited by bigherb

• RMweb Gold

Well it doesn't look like Hattons aren't going to honour the pre order price.

"Dear Customer,

I am writing to you regarding an item that you have on pre-order.

Whilst we endeavour to maintain original pre-order prices wherever possible, unfortunately on this occasion, due to Bachmann’s decision to raise their RRP on this item we have had to amend our price in accordance.

I hope this doesn’t cause any inconvenience but please feel free to contact us if you wish to amend or cancel this order.

This item, viewable at http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=60830

Edit spelling

Now £118.96. Or in my case 'order cancelled' :)

• Like 1

Sorry - been away from the internet. Just checked and my pre order is still quoted at £76.46. Don't think I've had this on pre order for that long - was inspired by the preproduction photo's that came out around November.

BTW, the pre-order page from Hattons still seems to show the 'old' price, even when they've emailed to advise of the increase so I wouldn't rely on that....

• RMweb Gold

On a similar note, had email re 20118 today, up from £70 ish to over £90, so have cancelled and will look out out for 2nd hand one to tinker with, as it'll need etched plates as well, that's an expensive Type 1.

Despite also getting the email, my pre-order is still showing the original price of £76.46. It *appears* Hattons are still keeping to their word here, unless there's a lag between website and email.

Pix

Despite also getting the email, my pre-order is still showing the original price of £76.46. It *appears* Hattons are still keeping to their word here, unless there's a lag between website and email.

Pix

See my post #141 above - this seems to be a glitch with the website rather than a promise to you. Let's face it, at the original pre-order price they'd be selling at less than they're paying Bachmann at trade price, and that can't be sustainable

• RMweb Premium

My pre-order is not with Hattons and I have already had the conversation with my retailer.  The pre-order price cannot be held due to the level of Bachmann's increases.  I am expecting to be offered a new price very soon at which I can choose to buy or cancel and my decision will be based upon what price I am offered. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My pre-order is with Rails - haven't heard from them yet

Phil

Email from Rails today class 43 price £118.96 exactly the same as Hattons. I've cancelled all Bachmann loco preorders with Hattons, but moved the Warship order to rails, but now having just two. I may leave it to chance and see if D835 reduces in price.

Neil

Liveried samples were on display today at Alexandra Palace - presumably the same ones as are shown in the 2015 catalogue.  They look good to me although the blue one and probably the maroon one should not have the MU jumpers and sockets as these were mostly removed from Warships very early on.  Some Swindon ones had them reinstated but I have only seen photos of one NBL one in blue with the jumpers.

• RMweb Premium

For those looking for a nice Warship but baulking at the new price then there are bargains to be had with the old tooling. I just ordered Kelly in blue/yellow from Hereford models, it is the DCC fitted version and they're charging £65. £65 DCC fitted is pretty good and whilst the old tooling is a bit dated and lacking the niceties we all demand nowadays it is not a bad model. Will the new class 43 be better than the old one? I would hope so and the pilot model shots look lovely. Is it worth more than two of the older ones (add the cost of a chip to the pre-order prices)? That is a judgement call, while I'll probably end up with the new one I'm also of the opinion that at the price the older one is still a perfectly acceptable model. If you're not happy with the price of the new 43 then it is certainly a worthy alternative option.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For those looking for a nice Warship but baulking at the new price then there are bargains to be had with the old tooling. I just ordered Kelly in blue/yellow from Hereford models, it is the DCC fitted version and they're charging £65. £65 DCC fitted is pretty good and whilst the old tooling is a bit dated and lacking the niceties we all demand nowadays it is not a bad model. Will the new class 43 be better than the old one? I would hope so and the pilot model shots look lovely. Is it worth more than two of the older ones (add the cost of a chip to the pre-order prices)? That is a judgement call, while I'll probably end up with the new one I'm also of the opinion that at the price the older one is still a perfectly acceptable model. If you're not happy with the price of the new 43 then it is certainly a worthy alternative option.

Agree - I've still got a blue\yellow example in store that I bought from Hattons as a bargain several years ago for £37! Will get a sound chip and still be cheaper than the new version! :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The thing I find really sad about the Bachmann Warship is that the body tooling dates back to Mainline in the 1970's and set a standard for diesels that Hornby would take another 20 years to match and Lima would struggle to match. That the model still cuts the mustard despite lacking some of the refinements that we expect of modern releases really is a testament to just how good it was when released and how British models went backwards again after Mainline and Airfix hit the wall.

• RMweb Gold

The thing I find really sad about the Bachmann Warship is that the body tooling dates back to Mainline in the 1970's and set a standard for diesels that Hornby would take another 20 years to match and Lima would struggle to match. That the model still cuts the mustard despite lacking some of the refinements that we expect of modern releases really is a testament to just how good it was when released and how British models went backwards again after Mainline and Airfix hit the wall.

It was a shame about the motor though

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, the original Mainline versions weren't the best for running, when Bachmann provided a new chassis it was a revelation and gave the model a mechanism that the excellent body had been crying out for from day one.