Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

• RMweb Premium
On 27/03/2023 at 13:32, ThaneofFife said:

I think all lights work off the same dimmer cv.  Is there anything in the leaflet on cv's?

The leaflet isn't much help, but I did see a post in the past (sorry, I can't remember who it was) stating that CVs 116, 117 and 118 control lighting - 7 being the default setting (CV 118 being interior brightness). I'm not sure if either CV 116 or 117 control the tail lamp, but it might be worth experimenting with them. Unlike the internal lighting, which is bright, the tail lamp is quite dim as standard.

HELP!!! I've re-addressed my rake to 9526 (running number of the BSO). Since doing this, the lighting will not work on analogue. Do I need to re-adjust any other CVs, and how might re-addressing have missed this up?

Is it possible to do a factory reset on the circuitry?

Or will an email to Bachmann be in order?

34 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

HELP!!! I've re-addressed my rake to 9526 (running number of the BSO). Since doing this, the lighting will not work on analogue. Do I need to re-adjust any other CVs, and how might re-addressing have missed this up?

Is it possible to do a factory reset on the circuitry?

Or will an email to Bachmann be in order?

Only guessing, but, maybe disabling DC running would do that. As that’s done with CV29 which is also altered if you have changed from a short address to a long address it may be that you have written a slightly wrong value to CV29? Can you read that value?

7 minutes ago, LMSfan72 said:

Only guessing, but, maybe disabling DC running would do that. As that’s done with CV29 which is also altered if you have changed from a short address to a long address it may be that you have written a slightly wrong value to CV29? Can you read that value?

I've just 'reset' CV29 to 6 (which appears to reset the whole coach). Previously one of my rake had CV29 to 7 (it was reversed direction in the set). Restting CV29 appears to re-enable DC operation. Everything remains fine with a 1 or two digit address (short) but as soon as I address to 3 or 4 digits, DC running appears disabled.

I need to wire up my controller to a programming track which I can't do now (no access to spare wires or a small screwdriver at the moment).

I guess the next question would be if a long address is messing up CV29, how to both have a correctly set CV29 AND a long address.

What did you change it to for the long address? I would expect it to be 38 for long address and DC. If you haven’t tried it just put that value in - I would expect your long address to work and the DC to still be enabled. Worst you end up doing is putting it back to 6 again…

5 minutes ago, LMSfan72 said:

What did you change it to for the long address? I would expect it to be 38 for long address and DC. If you haven’t tried it just put that value in - I would expect your long address to work and the DC to still be enabled. Worst you end up doing is putting it back to 6 again…

I put it back to 6. I will try a value of 38 next time.

Now have bigger problems(!), which is that in trying to 'correct' by Buffet car (previous batch, blue/grey with CDL), the same combination of resetting CV29 did NOT work, and indeed made things worse is that there is now nothing functioning on DCC at all (although lighting is back working on DC!). Clearly some changes in chip design between the two batches

Is there a 'factory reset' option on these integrated chips?

Edited by G-BOAF

Is it not functioning on DCC because the address isn’t what you thought it should be? I’d try and either write a new short address (I would guess that needs a programming track)  or have a go CV8 = 8 as a reset (I don’t know if that is the right method but I don’t think it will do damage!)

As someone who has left the model railway a couple years ago and sold everything, I am very disappointed to come back and find that nothing at all is available. Bought a Hornby class 50 looking for some coaches to haul, and there's no mk2 air con stock available new anywhere and costing 3 digital on eBay per coach. This is absolutely ridiculous. I think I will quietly leave again but I do wonder why Bachmann or Hornby isn't jumping on the opportunity and produce another batch of blue grey mk2f again. The lack of sufficient TSOs has always been baffling to me no one would ever run a train with just brake coaches (except parcel trains of course but they don't run on BSOs and BFKs. It's easier to sell excessive TSOs than BFK so to speak.

But oh well what do I know about business. At least this situation have saved my wallet from chronic thickness deficiency so it's not all bad news.

Edited by Volvo 740 Turbo

1 hour ago, Volvo 740 Turbo said:

As someone who has left the model railway a couple years ago and sold everything, I am very disappointed to come back and find that nothing at all is available. Bought a Hornby class 50 looking for some coaches to haul, and there's no mk2 air con stock available new anywhere and costing 3 digital on eBay per coach. This is absolutely ridiculous. I think I will quietly leave again but I do wonder why Bachmann or Hornby isn't jumping on the opportunity and produce another batch of blue grey mk2f again. The lack of sufficient TSOs has always been baffling to me no one would ever run a train with just brake coaches (except parcel trains of course but they don't run on BSOs and BFKs. It's easier to sell excessive TSOs than BFK so to speak.

But oh well what do I know about business. At least this situation have saved my wallet from chronic thickness deficiency so it's not all bad news.

Its a strange one, you'd think things like Mk2 (both air-con and z/a) and Mk1s in BR Blue-Grey would be things there would always be a demand for. Perhaps the majority of modelers have bought as many of them as they need to fill trains over the years. Bachmann seem to have only been producing twin packs (often with a brake) and trying to inflate the price with weathering or passengers and they just dont shift. If they'd even produced twin packs of TSOs I think they'd probably have sold better, but there is a limit to the price that the old and basic tooling will sell for and things like the new Scotrail or WCRC Mk2z's at £70 a pop I'd suggest are over that limit too.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Volvo 740 Turbo said:

Not strictly true, as Kernow have some B&G Bachmann Mk2f BSOs, and Hornby Mk2F FOs, and that was the first place I looked. Hornby MK2f BSOs are available elsewhere such as TMC. The TSOs have always been scarce however, but it's at least a start...

I guess you must have got a good price for the ones you sold - they are always in demand.

Accurascale have some Mk2cs coming out next year. The Mk2bs are coming much sooner but are sold out - no doubt there will be a few left over from unfulfilled orders if you are quick.

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Not strictly true, as Kernow have some B&G Bachmann Mk2f BSOs, and Hornby Mk2F FOs, and that was the first place I looked. Hornby MK2f BSOs are available elsewhere such as TMC. The TSOs have always been scarce however, but it's at least a start...

I guess you must have got a good price for the ones you sold - they are always in demand.

Accurascale have some Mk2cs coming out next year. The Mk2bs are coming much sooner but are sold out - no doubt there will be a few left over from unfulfilled orders if you are quick.

As I said no one is going to run a train with BSO only and would certainly make sure they realise the mistake by not helping them clear excessive BSOs.

Not having good availability of rolling stock is going to drive new joiners off the hobby. And the 3 digits price per coach also indicate many hobbyist have not had enough TSOs.

I was not living in the UK back then and the only way to shift them was to sell cheap. I sold a rake of 1 Hornby Class 50 Vanguard + Bachmann rake of 5 Mk2f TSO + 2 Mk2f FO 1 + mk1 BG + 1 Mk1 RMB for £595, which I would struggle to get 5 TSO these days. And 5 other proper formation rakes (i.e. not train formed of BSOs or FK only) of Bachmann mk1 mk2a mk2f and even Hornby full HST sets for an average of £15 per coach

I like the 80s Dawlish scene which I find mk2 air con would be the primary stock used on the area so mk2 b and C aren't massively useful.

I do hope accuracale would produce mk2d and e which Hornby has not a done a great job with.

Edited by Volvo 740 Turbo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just throwing this out there but…

theres only finite capacity in China.

Perhaps factories see more money in locos than coaches.

in which case getting coaches made is less desirable.

That would also explain coach price inflation.

If they are short on resource, but high on demand, make the most revenue earning stuff first.

Thats certainly where we are with new cars too.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Just throwing this out there but…

theres only finite capacity in China.

Perhaps factories see more money in locos than coaches.

in which case getting coaches made is less desirable.

That would also explain coach price inflation.

If they are short on resource, but high on demand, make the most revenue earning stuff first.

Thats certainly where we are with new cars too.

I have been looking at the availability of Bachmann products, in the case of intercity swallow or intercity mainline livery stuff, the coaches are long gone while the 47 and 37 have been on sale for quite a long time and still plenty of stock available. Needless to say,it's the same for BR Blue stuff. Perhaps they need to rethink the strategy, loco may make more money but without available coaches the loco don't seem to sell that well either.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

the Bachmann reps at warley did say they were undoubtedly going to do a rerun of blue and grey inter city coaches.   thing is it seems nuts to think years ago if you wanted another one you just went to  your local model shop and bought one......they were part of the manufacturers standard catalogue range but now its almost like every livery is to bet treated like its a limited edition grab em while you can approach.

lets keep fingers and toes crossed that after 5 years (is it 4 or 4 years?) we get some in the summer announcements.

ideally midland region prefixes too not eastern.   

also was there ever a mk2f mini-buffet or was that a mk2D or E?   some blue and grey BR stock was branded "Inter-City ScotRail" too for a short time.  id like to see a BSO with the branding in the right position too. 

• Agree 4

Some Mk2d coaches were fitted with a "1 bay" micro-buffet (trolley and pantry) conversion when in blue/grey, predominantly used on Scottish internal services but which did sometimes end up on cross country trains.  Then in about 1986 some more Mk2d TSO coaches were given a "2 bay" mini buffet conversion with a microwave food preparation area to offer hot food service on the newly launched cross-London services from the North West to the South via Kensington Olympia.  Six were converted, carrying Intercity Executive livery and "Intercity Buffet" branding.  The concept of the "2 bay" conversion was then turned into the Mk2f RFB concept for the Cross Country fleet (although some RFBs did replace Mk1 catering on West Coast services for a while).

So, in short, the only air conditioned micro-buffets prior to the Mk2f buffet firsts were Mk2d.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know what bogie the mk2f runs on is it a B4 or B5 ?  Visually is there a great deal of difference?

Reason I ask is im thinking of fitting 2 of my Bachmann Mk1 BGs with these mk2f bogies to facilitate the wiring up of some interior lights and obviously the mk2s all have pick ups pre fitted.

Not sure whether the BG had the B4 or B5 type on later types such as the 4 special 110mph versions for the WCML 1984 onwards timetable.

3 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

Does anybody know what bogie the mk2f runs on is it a B4 or B5 ?  Visually is there a great deal of difference?

Reason I ask is im thinking of fitting 2 of my Bachmann Mk1 BGs with these mk2f bogies to facilitate the wiring up of some interior lights and obviously the mk2s all have pick ups pre fitted.

Not sure whether the BG had the B4 or B5 type on later types such as the 4 special 110mph versions for the WCML 1984 onwards timetable.

Differences covered here: 

Regards

• Thanks 1

On 27/03/2023 at 07:42, puddin68 said:

Hello. Can anyone tell me please if there is a CV for the tail lamp Brightness on the 39-700DC BR MK2F BSO Brake Second Open Blue & Greym DCC coach as this is far to dim?, many thanks. Chris.

CV 115 bits 0-3 seem to control the tail light brightness, but even at the max 15, it is still very dim.

If you want a flashing tail lamp at max brightness I used CV115 47 and CV112 28

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been watching some great old footage of a variety of wcml sets at Carstairs from the late 80s and early 90s and see plenty of Brake 1st mk2 air con vehicles presumably they are all corridor compo coaches but did BR only build them as mk2 d and e or was there ever a mk2f BFK?

1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

Been watching some great old footage of a variety of wcml sets at Carstairs from the late 80s and early 90s and see plenty of Brake 1st mk2 air con vehicles presumably they are all corridor compo coaches but did BR only build them as mk2 d and e or was there ever a mk2f BFK?

Mk2f BSO only.

• 3 months later...

A bit late on the topic but I’m trying to build up a rake of 6/7 of these, as a previous posting states your ok if you want a BSO or FO but trying to jet intercity swallow TSO is like trying to find lord Lucan, does any one know if they are going to do a re run lf the TSO in swallow livery I’ve not seen any in the recent announcements? 
thanks 

TT

On 11/05/2023 at 07:05, ThaneofFife said:

What is an unknown is if the bogie pivot on the BG and the Mk2 (or any later Bachmann coaches) are the same. I tried to put a Mk1 B4 under an Inspection Saloon and the Spigot was a completely different size. I need to try with a set of 4TC bogies (which I have in stock, just not offered up yet).

This probably won't help you as the BG is a previous generation of coach. But I would say that in terms of cosmetics, a 4TC (non driving trailer) bogie might be more suitable, assuming it fits, which it may not!

• RMweb Premium
On 11/05/2023 at 07:05, ThaneofFife said:

3 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

What is an unknown is if the bogie pivot on the BG and the Mk2 (or any later Bachmann coaches) are the same. I tried to put a Mk1 B4 under an Inspection Saloon and the Spigot was a completely different size. I need to try with a set of 4TC bogies (which I have in stock, just not offered up yet).

This probably won't help you as the BG is a previous generation of coach. But I would say that in terms of cosmetics, a 4TC (non driving trailer) bogie might be more suitable, assuming it fits, which it may not!

The NEA 110mph BGs were fitted with B4 bogies - some Mk1s did get B5s but not I think the BGs. Bachmann has produced Mk1s with B4 bogies and the B4s that are sold separately as twin packs (36-037) are fully interchangeable on its Mk1s - I have swopped some myself.  No pick-ups for lighting though.

I haven't tried swopping the Bachmann Mk2f bogies and I'm not sure if they are B4s or B5s, but they do look like newer tooling.

We haven't seen any new OO Mk1s from Bachmann for some time, so I wonder if they are being retooled, in which case we may get pick-ups for lighting on all bogie types.

Edited by brushman47544