Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

26 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

The NEA 110mph BGs were fitted with B4 bogies - some Mk1s did get B5s but not I think the BGs. Bachmann has produced Mk1s with B4 bogies and the B4s that are sold separately as twin packs (36-037) are fully interchangeable on its Mk1s - I have swopped some myself.  No pick-ups for lighting though.

I haven't tried swopping the Bachmann Mk2f bogies and I'm not sure if they are B4s or B5s, but they do look like newer tooling.

We haven't seen any new OO Mk1s from Bachmann for some time, so I wonder if they are being retooled, in which case we may get pick-ups for lighting on all bogie types.

B5s have beefed up suspension components and went under some Sleepers and Catering vehicles but ordinary stock had B4s. Visually they're very similar, most people wouldn't notice the difference at casual viewing.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

42 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

B5s have beefed up suspension components and went under some Sleepers and Catering vehicles but ordinary stock had B4s. Visually they're very similar, most people wouldn't notice the difference at casual viewing.

Most people...😁

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

Non-illuminated Mk2fs now RRP of £79.99, which is an increase of £10 on previous price.

I've just obtained the last couple of vehicles required for my scratch rake of 8 illuminated vehicles (a nice 2000s era mix of Swallow, unbranded VT and BG RFB), to be augmented by a Mk1 RU(R) and a Gen van to 10 coaches for a railtour.

I reckon my average cost per coach with lighting was around £72, including cost of one lit body spare from Bachmann spares plus the lower PCB, and now a residual unlit Scotrail TSO body.

For anyone interested, Cheltenham Model Centre have some lit BSOs (VT and Scotrail) for £45, B&G lit BSO for £55, and some unlit TSOs and FOs (Scotrail and VT respectively) for £35. I can't imagine they will ever get this low again, certainly not from future batches.

DBSOs (Swallow and Anglia) also for £99.99

Edited by G-BOAF

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

I have managed to pick up some of these Bachmann Mk2F coaches in the Virgin livery.

Personally, I prefer these versions compared to other manufacturers examples as these are more refined and the colour ‘red’ has more depth. However, there  is a price to pay for the extra finesse……

Although there are DCC versions available, I have decided to forego that particular option. 

However, if at some point in the future I want to upgrade these coaches it could be a consideration using after-market parts.

My new coaches will be hauled by Bachmann class 47’s in a number of liveries that I already have within my fleet. This includes the Inter City ‘Swallow’ livery & the heavily distressed 47, 537 supplied as a limited edition from Kernow.

IMG_6383.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Going2theDogs said:

Hi All,

I have managed to pick up some of these Bachmann Mk2F coaches in the Virgin livery.

Personally, I prefer these versions compared to other manufacturers examples as these are more refined and the colour ‘red’ has more depth. However, there  is a price to pay for the extra finesse……

Although there are DCC versions available, I have decided to forego that particular option. 

However, if at some point in the future I want to upgrade these coaches it could be a consideration using after-market parts.

My new coaches will be hauled by Bachmann class 47’s in a number of liveries that I already have within my fleet. This includes the Inter City ‘Swallow’ livery & the heavily distressed 47, 537 supplied as a limited edition from Kernow.

IMG_6383.jpeg

You can upgrade them but it probably wouldn't be easy without Bachmann spares, there isn't a DCC socket in them, the 'chip' is built into the lighting PCB

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Is there any chance some of the charter liveries of Mk2Fs will be produced?

Thinking: 

Great Briton, Blue Pullman, 

EWS Maroon (ok Hornby have hit that)

Lakes Pullman (slightly different but close enough to core Mk2F?

plus the WCRC coaches

These seem quite obvious to me as liveries that would sell very well given the ability to put all sorts of traction on them?

Or am I missing something?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

Morning.  Can anyone tell me how easy it is to swap bodies over on the DCC versions?  For example, if I bought a DCC fitted BSO and replaced the interior and body with a TSO,  would it be a straightforward swap?

Having bought a few Accurascale Mk 2Bs I'm keen to mix and match them with some Bachmann 2F's.  Sadly, all I can see in IC is a BSO/FO or Blue/Grey BSO only!  

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, kintbury jon said:

Morning.  Can anyone tell me how easy it is to swap bodies over on the DCC versions?  For example, if I bought a DCC fitted BSO and replaced the interior and body with a TSO,  would it be a straightforward swap?

Having bought a few Accurascale Mk 2Bs I'm keen to mix and match them with some Bachmann 2F's.  Sadly, all I can see in IC is a BSO/FO or Blue/Grey BSO only!  

The bodies are clip fit. i have done the same swapping light fitted bodies with unlits when various special offers came around.

The bad news is a BSO is pretty much only compatible with a DBSO… only the pcbs inside are close to an FO/SO… i’ll get why further down..

however say buying an FO and changing it to a SO..

You can swap one for the other, things to consider are lit bodies have two pcbs.. one inside the coach frame making a bus line of the pickups, with wires/jst in the ends leading to the roof pcb, and another pcb in the roof with the leds, screw fitted.

if youve got CDL fitted coaches theres an additional two light track for these, one each end.

Bachmann has different seat interiors, for different eras, so BSO, FO, SO, Buffet, but in Blue, intercity Virgin, Scotrail interior finishes too… each is unique.

its upto you how far you go…you could perhaps forgoe an FO interior in an SO body swap, but a BSO interior is totally totally different as it includes the guards/luggage space.

Finally the chassis…

the BSO has equipment and steps in different places to the FO/SO… as these are non braked, so no guards door steps etc. Theres some under floor equipment in different places too, as access to them in the FO/SO mounting would be obscured by the steps.

Finally the DBSO and BSO are pretty much the same pcbs, except the DBSO has an end light track/led for the cabs on the DBSO… those in the factory must be truly puzzled why a DBSO goes for £140+ yet a BSO they cant giveaway at £40 just by looking at the pieces. Though of course the interior of a DBSO includes the driving space, not in the BSO.

which leads me to the good news… virtually everything you need is available on Bachmann spares… you could build it from scratch yourself (though it wont be the cheapest way to do it)… but buying a cheap FO and an SO body/seat interior is the way to go… ive done this a few times… and they sell DBSO bodies / interior so a BSO to DBSO is possible (but you need front bogies with wheel guards and steps too, and some minor under frame mods unless you skip this detail).. but given the £60-100 price difference this may be a cheap alternative.

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/category/4-other-vehicles/mk2f-coaches?page=1

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks ever so much for your detailed reply.  Very helpful to know that the BSO is different to the open coaches.

I have seen that Kernow have FO's at 60 and BSO's  at 48.  I had wondered about getting a body shell or two of the TSO that are available at £38 from Bachmann Spares and fitting them to the BSO.  I guess it would probably make sense to get one of the Virgin/Scotrail ones that are slightly more and just swap them over? No need to get the interior then.

I am a little put off the latest IC ones because of the CDL fitting which is a bit modern for me.  I assume they can't be removed easily?

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, kintbury jon said:

am a little put off the latest IC ones because of the CDL fitting which is a bit modern for me.  I assume they can't be removed easily?

Depends on your definition of easy, it will have 4 holes in the body for the light to pass through.  Not the most difficult job, but does take some effort to get a flush finish.  I haven’t removed the CDLs (I’ve been adding them to batch 1 intercity bodies), but I have filled windows on some that I’ve converted to 2ds and it takes a lot of time to get it fully flush

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kintbury jon said:

I just happen to have a few MK2fs on my workbench.... 

20240330_221715.jpg.8233134506bcfd586843e2ee3fea051b.jpg

A comparison between a BSO and a TSO... there's not a great deal of differences that I reckon can't be dealt with. There's a few interesting holes in Mk2d/e differences zones ;)

20240330_221727.jpg.00657b396ccdc5fc2369c4d6e249959f.jpg

Circuit boards are different but I think going from a bso to a tso will be ok.

20240330_221816.jpg.cdbe6a99fd89778ee83d2dcfd4473db8.jpg

Probably steps is the hardest thing. Personally I wouldn't try and remove a CDL as making it look ok will be quite alot of effort.

Hope this helps

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dj_crisp said:

I just happen to have a few MK2fs on my workbench.... 

20240330_221715.jpg.8233134506bcfd586843e2ee3fea051b.jpg

A comparison between a BSO and a TSO... there's not a great deal of differences that I reckon can't be dealt with. There's a few interesting holes in Mk2d/e differences zones ;)

20240330_221727.jpg.00657b396ccdc5fc2369c4d6e249959f.jpg

Circuit boards are different but I think going from a bso to a tso will be ok.

20240330_221816.jpg.cdbe6a99fd89778ee83d2dcfd4473db8.jpg

Probably steps is the hardest thing. Personally I wouldn't try and remove a CDL as making it look ok will be quite alot of effort.

Hope this helps

What about the interior ?

😀

thats by far the biggest difference…

I had considered buying some cheap Bachmann BSOs for their lighting alone, BSOs can be hard to sell, even harder with stripped out  lights, but I did similar with Hornbys mk1/mk2f’s and tbh they are cheaper and the lighting strip has a capacitor. Its no effort to string some wire between Bachmanns coach pickups, through the loo to the roof (i’m DC so dont need DCC capabilities) and fit the Hornby lighting board in, ended up costing me about a tenner in the stripping/disposal of the Hornby coach.

Edited by adb968008

Yeah the interior is a bit different ;) on the subject of BSO interiors I thought Bachmanns trick of printing on clear plastic for the guards cage area was quite neat as previously I've done this with etches. I'm thinking there perhaps should be some more windows in the guards area so may try and open them out but as yet have found any decent photos.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

Yeah the interior is a bit different ;) on the subject of BSO interiors I thought Bachmanns trick of printing on clear plastic for the guards cage area was quite neat as previously I've done this with etches. I'm thinking there perhaps should be some more windows in the guards area so may try and open them out but as yet have found any decent photos.

This is a mk2e but tbh between any of the brakes theres not much in it ..

Mk.2E BSO 9525 guards compartment

Flickr url/ not mine

There should be a window in the corridor sliding door, and next to it, plus in the compartment another larger window hiding behind the door above the desk into the baggage area, in addition to the peep hole you can see above the chair.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks! Very useful. If I've counted right there should be four small windows in the guards area. I'm tempted to add the corridor ones as they'll probably be noticeable with the lights on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Tbh..

This..

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/40310/39-652DC-WSL-Bachmann-BR-MK2F-FO-First-Open-Coach-in-InterCity

£59 inc lighting.

Paint out the first class yellow stripe,  the “1” on the doors will come off with a cocktail stick, and make a call on whether your ok with the seating interiors.

if you didnt fancy painting..

You could buy a TSO body from Bachmann spares

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/product/category/1125/mk2f-tso-coach-body---intercity-(swallow)-6115-39-678dc/e3965-200-18
£38

but for under £100 your pretty much there, and choose if you want TSO seats too.

The personal thing for me on the BSO will be the interior.. but if you buy a TSO body, and an interior your heading to the £90’s.. and your frame is still wrong… if your less bothered on interior you could always buy a cheap old 1970’s Hornby mk2 (c£5) and do some cut/shut on an interior using it.

Problem is BSO/FO bodies, tbh they wont fetch much.

I dont see a bargain route here, all options head towards the £90’s but there is a means to an end if you dont mind paying… thats why they are swimming around the bargain bins.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, kintbury jon said:

Yes I was wondering about declassifying a first, perhaps one of the 64xx series.  I should probably just stick with my Hornby Mk 2E coaches but the Bachmann ones do look nicer. 

I havent tried it, but theres Hornby Loram mk2f TSOs for £20 … 

I could imagine it might be possible to put a £38 Bachmann TSO body on it with a bit of effort.. plus optional £20 for lights.

tbh, we just need more mk2fs TSOs made… Blue Grey seem to be in starvation too.

I have a lot of Bachmann mk2fs.. IC, SC, DRS, Blue and VT, plus  1 rake of Hornby 2Es and 2Ds in , which I retrofitted with leds stripped from cheap Hornby BSOs.. I do prefer the finish of Bachmanns, the Hornby 2E isnt bad but the 2Ds are … well i’m sure someones going to have a retool of them.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 31/03/2024 at 00:34, adb968008 said:

This is a mk2e but tbh between any of the brakes theres not much in it ..

Mk.2E BSO 9525 guards compartment

Flickr url/ not mine

There should be a window in the corridor sliding door, and next to it, plus in the compartment another larger window hiding behind the door above the desk into the baggage area, in addition to the peep hole you can see above the chair.

Thanks again for the info.

I've very crudely added some detail to the BSO guards interior that could be viewed from the exterior.

20240401_100805.jpg.03c77602dcedaf8c42c71c1bdd5c1686.jpg

Opening the windows out meant I needed to remove Bachmanns attempt at a brake wheel and as its visible Ive addedd a stenson wheel instead.  The base maybe improved if i can see it when illuminated but for the time being is a quick and simple approach. There's another window added to side.

• Like 4

Some of the Mk2f FOs were refitted with 76 airline style seats (actually if I recall to the design used in the APT-P) and used at first on Midland semi-fasts before moving over to Norwich and used in some high capacity sets which used a Mk2f RFB rather than the Mk3 RFM, allowing extra standard seating to be accommodated in the restricted platform lengths.  I know I travelled on a couple when I lived in Norfolk in the Anglia era and found the legroom to be decidedly tight.

That would make an interesting addition to the Bachmann range together with Anglia liveried FO, TSO and RFB to go with the Anglia DBSO 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Some of the Mk2f FOs were refitted with 76 airline style seats (actually if I recall to the design used in the APT-P) and used at first on Midland semi-fasts before moving over to Norwich and used in some high capacity sets which used a Mk2f RFB rather than the Mk3 RFM, allowing extra standard seating to be accommodated in the restricted platform lengths.  I know I travelled on a couple when I lived in Norfolk in the Anglia era and found the legroom to be decidedly tight.

They were called “crackers” for some reason which long escapes me. They were awful to sit in unless you had short legs.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

Thanks again for the info.

I've very crudely added some detail to the BSO guards interior that could be viewed from the exterior.

20240401_100805.jpg.03c77602dcedaf8c42c71c1bdd5c1686.jpg

Opening the windows out meant I needed to remove Bachmanns attempt at a brake wheel and as its visible Ive addedd a stenson wheel instead.  The base maybe improved if i can see it when illuminated but for the time being is a quick and simple approach. There's another window added to side.

looks good, each time I went into a guards vestibule, the wheel was in the way.

oddly the omission I see is the pie warmer… did mk2 D/e/F have this ?

The PA system too isnt in the tooling.

indeed the back head could be a nice 3D project with piewarmer, pa system box, fire extinguisher and a spare red painted shackle too.

going further add the desk against the body wall, with an A4 black and red timing register.

some memories there, but I doubt you can see much in the model.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

Sorry if this has already been discussed but searching and reading the thread I didn't find the answer i was looking for.

Does anyone know which ESU decoder has been used in the DCC fitted versions - I'm using a sprog and that gives me many options so I'm not sure which one to use. My aim is just to change the DCC address, swap direction on a few coaches (for tail lights) and change the function mapping. Currently i can read a coach but not write so i think i've chosen the wrong one.

thanks!

Will