Thompson Vestibuled Main Line Stock (retooled)

Guest Tom F

14 hours ago, davidw said:

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm after 2 or 3 in maroon.

Received the Bachmann online newsletter yesterday which advised the Thompson full brakes arrival, however only one maroon (the 'a' suffix version) is in the batch. Both crimson and cream have arrived.

1 minute ago, rembrow said:

Received the Bachmann online newsletter yesterday which advised the Thompson full brakes arrival, however only one maroon (the 'a' suffix version) is in the batch. Both crimson and cream have arrived.

I think the second maroon version is due later according to the Bachmann website 

• RMweb Premium

Picked up my Full Brake this morning, following a phone call from Monk Bar Models.

A beautiful model, as to be expected - it really puts the old version to shame.  Good to see (but only to be expected!) that they've given it different bogies to the passenger coaches, having modelled the 8ft wheelbase "Heavy Duty" type (with deeper frames).

As mentioned above, it is the 34-362A version, running number E19E from the ECML allocation; the 34-362 model had not yet been received by Monk Bar.

IMG_7197.jpeg.eb812ad7e4a224a4059823cbe67dff69.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 31A said:

Picked up my Full Brake this morning, following a phone call from Monk Bar Models.

A beautiful model, as to be expected - it really puts the old version to shame.  Good to see (but only to be expected!) that they've given it different bogies to the passenger coaches, having modelled the 8ft wheelbase "Heavy Duty" type (with deeper frames).

As mentioned above, it is the 34-362A version, running number E19E from the ECML allocation; the 34-362 model had not yet been received by Monk Bar.

Oh looks good. Were they lined at the top?

1 hour ago, 31A said:

If they've done heavy duty bogies then perhaps catering stock is on the cards.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, davidw said:

Haven't looked at any pictures of real ones to check, but I think it's one of those things that was sometimes done and sometimes not.

It seems to have been unusual for ex LNER coaches to carry the upper lining, but some did have it.  The Bachmann models of passenger carrying ones in maroon that I have got haven't got it.  I think manufacturers usually copy pictures of the real thing for livery details, so quite possibly they've copied one which did have it.

Funnily enough I was watching The Thirty Nine Steps film (with Kenneth More) on Talking Pictures TV the other night, where he is getting in and out of coaches at Edinburgh and on the Forth Bridge and at one point it was very clearly an ex LNER coach in maroon with the upper lining, which struck me at the time as being odd!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, davidw said:

If they've done heavy duty bogies then perhaps catering stock is on the cards.

Although I think they would have had 8' 6" w.b. bogies?  I think the 8ft wb Heavy Duty type was confined to BGs?

Just now, 31A said:

Although I think they would have had 8' 6" w.b. bogies?  I think the 8ft wb Heavy Duty type was confined to BGs?

Oh I understand. I got excited prematurely 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I took mine apart this evening to make a start on weathering it; I like to weather coach underframes separately from the bodies where possible.  The body was a very snug fit on the underframe, but eventually I managed it with no damage.

This is what I found inside:

IMG_7205.jpeg.94749cd64db72f9d432db1df62598aa4.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

14 minutes ago, 31A said:

I took mine apart this evening to make a start on weathering it; I like to weather coach underframes separately from the bodies where possible.  The body was a very snug fit on the underframe, but eventually I managed it with no damage.

Interesting detail. Personally IMHO a little bit pointless.

• Agree 3

19 hours ago, davidw said:

Interesting detail. Personally IMHO a little bit pointless.

Completely pointless.

The new bogies take a standard 26mm axle and the brake blocks don't foul EM wheels, as I found out today when converting the BG that is heading for Retford.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, 31A said:

What is the point of the steering wheel being in the middle,surely it is best up the front with the driver.🤪

• Funny 3

Looking at the faux teak versions, I noticed the running numbers are E17E and E19E and no LNER lettering. Does this mean they are BR liveried and not LNER ? Did they ever receive LNER lettering ? 

On 15/03/2024 at 17:30, robertcwp said:

Completely pointless.

The new bogies take a standard 26mm axle and the brake blocks don't foul EM wheels, as I found out today when converting the BG that is heading for Retford.

I'm intending to rewheel mine for P4, and it looks a bit more complicated than is appropriate for my usual "prise-out-the-00-wheelsets" technique.  How did you rewheel yours for EM?

18 minutes ago, AJCT said:

I'm intending to rewheel mine for P4, and it looks a bit more complicated than is appropriate for my usual "prise-out-the-00-wheelsets" technique.  How did you rewheel yours for EM?

The full brake was simply a swap for Gibson wheels. On the others that I have done for Retford (over 20), I bent the metal in slightly, clipped off the brake shoes and put Gibson or old Romford wheels in.

On 11/03/2024 at 18:22, davidw said:

I've always understood the problem with applying the top lining on BR maroon for ex-LNER coaches (and that goes for Gresleys as well as Thompsons)  is the height of the windows, and in particular the brake-compartment top-lights just below the cantrail, which don't leave room for the lining - see https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/28/487/index.html.  That I would say is why ex-LNER stock also never seemed to get the upper crimson band when in crimson/cream livery, although I think I've seen a pic somewhere (can't recall where) of a Thompson BG with a noticeably wide top crimson band.  That of course wouldn't match up when coupled to other stock like LMS or BR Mk.1, so I reckon the upper crimson band (and the top lining with maroon) was just left off for that reason.  Still, makes it simpler for those painting and lining ex-LNER stock in the the BR era....

Alasdair

Edited by AJCT
Correction...
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, AJCT said:

I've always understood the problem with applying the top lining on BR maroon for ex-LNER coaches (and that goes for Gresleys as well as Thompsons)  is the height of the windows, and in particular the brake-compartment top-lights just below the cantrail, which don't leave room for the lining - see https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/28/487/index.html.  That I would say is why ex-LNER stock also never seemed to get the upper crimson band when in crimson/cream livery, although I think I've seen a pic somewhere (can't recall where) of a Thompson BG with a noticeably wide top crimson band.  That of course wouldn't match up when coupled to other stock like LMS or BR Mk.1, so I reckon the upper crimson band (and the top lining with maroon) was just left off for that reason.  Still, makes it simpler for those painting and lining ex-LNER stock in the the BR era....

Alasdair

The wide top band were I think restricted to those with deeper solebars rostered for the Capitals/Elizabethan. 

The digging that I've done suggests that Thompson corridor coaches did have the top lined when in crimson cream. Brakes weren't lined at the top. Gresley coaches weren't lined at the top but there was little room.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Fredo said:

Hi, it would be nice to have E1705/6 and Restaurant Cars at some point. Thanks Fred

It's been requested time and time again. 

If you don't want to wait (I didn't), comet produce RF ,  Pantry Third and an Open Third. Southern Pride do a Kitchen, Open First and all the Elizabethan versions. I've done the Lizzie and many others. I'll post photos later.