Thompson Vestibuled Main Line Stock (retooled)

Guest Tom F

Bachmann is still pretty much in an experimental position at the moment, caught between, "it must have the super details..." and the "it must not be expensive...".

I get the distinct impression Bachmann have plumped for the former Mr.S, with possibly little regard for the latter.

Put it this way, they could if they were so inclined, milk the existing moulds for all they were worth and bring out a "budget" line of models á la Railroad alongside the new models. Instead they've opted to do away with the old tooling and concentrate on the "definitive" model of the prototype.

Quietly, I applaud their stand on this. They maybe feel a budget line might damage their brand, or feel a top of the range product line-up is the best way to guarantee sustainable sales into the future, "If we make the best, no one else will bother to duplicate."

The price is what it is, the choice is ours.

C6T.

• Like 3

"When they arrive, I'll be staggered if anyone is unhappy as them as models. And, if sales are good enough, the complementary catering cars will be produced (on heavy-duty bogies!) "

Based on Tony's comment I might have to order some more of these I am a big LNER coach fan and the thought of getting RTR Thomson catering cars is fantastic I hope these live up to Bachmann's sales expectations. As a Comparison my Local shop were concerned when the new Sorting van with nets arrived at £54.95 that the price would stop this selling but they have only 1 left and modellers seem very happy with the price if the model has the quality to match it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Timely reminder to get my upgrades to the old ones finished.

Hopefully the moulded handles and other details on the ends will be separate mouldings on production versions.

I doubt it with all the comments about prices. Make your mind up.

• Like 1

You'd have thought that they would have done a buffet car as they could have done a blue and grey one. Seems an odd absence when they are doing two brakes

I believe an RF and RSO have been discussed depending on sales. As indicated above they are pricey vehicles. But they do look good! Though I understand where Mick is coming from...

Edited by davidw

With all due respect, surely for £52.95 RRP they ought to come with separately fitted details such as guards door grab/handrails and end detailing? Is it therefore being inferred that the premium charged for that would take these up into £60/70/80 territory? 

The contemporaneous Hornby Colletts manage to include this separately fitted detail at the admittedly too cheap £39.99 RRP, and even Bachmann's own LMS Inspection Coaches - redolent with separately fitted detail - come in at only £7 more (which, with the end-glazing and interior detail taken into account is probably on 'pro rata par' with the Thompsons' RRP?)

I do think anything north of £60 for a general service coach - ergo not a 'one-off' such as an autocoach or inspection saloon or a diner - is going to become very difficult to stomach for quite a few in this hobby, but that's just my gut feeling. However I'm sure of course that if a modeller wants a rake of Thompsons to 21st Century standards, then they'll cough up for the only RTR game in town, but they won't in all likelihood pass the 'value test' of the impulse buyer. I'm not saying that the latter is a good or a bad thing, but time will tell. 

CoY

I doubt it with all the comments about prices. Make your mind up.

Sorry with prices they want they should have them as separate mouldings or the obvious thing to do is put them in a plastic bag.

They need to make their mind up if they think people will pay the price asked at a guess £50 at a minimum ,for the quality provided. To change any of the said items will ruin the paint finish at a minimum.

You might as well buy kits and build them yourself !! :jester:  :jester: Oh I just made my mind up what to do !!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

However I'm sure of course that if a modeller wants a rake of Thompsons to 21st Century standards, then they'll cough up for the only RTR game in town, but they won't in all likelihood pass the 'value test' of the impulse buyer. I'm not saying that the latter is a good or a bad thing, but time will tell. 

CoY

I find "impulse buyers" to be completely unpredictable and I've always thought their main function is to hoover up whatever those of us who model or collect to a coherent theme don't want. :jester:

Guessing what they might or might not go for (and, just as intriguing, why) is probably something the people at Bachmann are smart enough to avoid doing. They probably have enough things to make their heads hurt without looking for more.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Sorry with prices they want they should have them as separate mouldings or the obvious thing to do is put them in a plastic bag.

They need to make their mind up if they think people will pay the price asked at a guess £50 at a minimum ,for the quality provided. To change any of the said items will ruin the paint finish at a minimum.

You might as well buy kits and build them yourself !! :jester:  :jester: Oh I just made my mind up what to do !!

Have Bachmann actually said whether or not the handrails etc. will be separate fittings or are we back in the realms of pointless speculation? 

At layout viewing distances you can't tell the difference anyway.

John

I was shown a very well thought out and attractive kit for a pre-grouping coach kit late yesterday afternoon. In fact it was Great Northern so you may find it interesting and it will allow you the pleasure of building it (wheels not included), painting it and adding transfers etc (not included). It was only £80 and if you wanted to spend another tenner you could put some passengers inside it.

:biggrin_mini2:

I was shown a very well thought out and attractive kit for a pre-grouping coach kit late yesterday afternoon. In fact it was Great Northern so you may find it interesting and it will allow you the pleasure of building it (wheels not included), painting it and adding transfers etc (not included). It was only £80 and if you wanted to spend another tenner you could put some passengers inside it.

:biggrin_mini2:

No problem with building some kits, the price difference is becoming more marginal by every r.t.r price rise. Passengers if needed can be bought of ebay for far less than a Tenner .

These have been  is via old secondhand of ebay  Bachmann bodies converted to the Flying Scotsman version using Southern pride sides total cost £25 each . If you wanted the normal version just cut off the bottom of the fairing and add top Ventilators. 

post-7186-0-88793000-1458582670_thumb.jpg

post-7186-0-64956800-1458582579_thumb.jpg

post-7186-0-46853200-1458582626_thumb.jpg

post-7186-0-91570100-1458582641_thumb.jpg

post-7186-0-41207100-1458582657_thumb.jpg

post-7186-0-70875100-1458582606_thumb.jpg

• Like 3