Thompson Vestibuled Main Line Stock (retooled)

Guest Tom F

I was shown a very well thought out and attractive kit for a pre-grouping coach kit late yesterday afternoon. In fact it was Great Northern so you may find it interesting and it will allow you the pleasure of building it (wheels not included), painting it and adding transfers etc (not included). It was only £80 and if you wanted to spend another tenner you could put some passengers inside it.

:biggrin_mini2:

I hope that was the Howlden brake, because I am expecting one soon. It may be heresy, but it is intended to become part of my breakdown train.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Got a full set of the originals from Bachman in Blood & Custard including the brake.

These new ones do look lovely, may consider upgrading mine, though I have to say that it is a shame that Bachmann do not appear to be doing an upgrade of the BG at the same time.

Can't really justify going for a set in teak given I already have rakes of Gresley's in both corridor and non-corridor varieties.

Got a full set of the originals from Bachman in Blood & Custard including the brake.

These new ones do look lovely, may consider upgrading mine, though I have to say that it is a shame that Bachmann do not appear to be doing an upgrade of the BG at the same time.

Can't really justify going for a set in teak given I already have rakes of Gresley's in both corridor and non-corridor varieties.

Curiously there's a BG in the farish range. My point - they have the CAD. Edited by davidw

Curiously there's a BG in the farish range. My point - they have the CAD.

The N Gauge Thompson BG is an NGS commission, not part of the main Farish range. I'd guess that the arrangement with that model will be the same as was made with the NGS inspection saloon in that Farish will take the model under their own range after a number of years exclusivity to the NGS.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. I am sure those photos have been seen before, but I cannot put my finger on where it was. I know I remember people commenting on the fact that the mock teak finish needs further work, since the grain on the teak finish is rather coarse. Lovely models otherwise.

Regards,

Rob.

The simulated teak graining is still too coarse and not exactly subtle. The ends were teak colour but without the full simulated graining so that needs correcting. Bachmann have at least applied the large numeral 1 in the window of the 'teak' Composite and so presumably will do similarly in the other 1st class vehicles - this practice was a hangover from WW2 and the blackout and generally lasted until the application of BR's first livery of Crimson & Cream or Crimson, these being the early square-windowed versions.

Bachmann has the spelling correctly elsewhere but, in the news posting on the website, Thompson's surname is spelled without the 'p' - so one could say that they have genuinely taken the 'p' out of Thompson :mosking:

Edited by Pint of Adnams

• RMweb Gold

Hi. I have a photo' of the preserved Thompson CL in mock teak livery from October, 2009. I know you cannot always rely on preserved stock for accuracy, but hopefully, the photo' may be of some use regarding the graining of the mock teak finish, and the position of the 1's on the first class compartment doors.

post-22631-0-57049900-1473103621_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

Hi. I have a photo' of the preserved Thompson CL in mock teak livery from October, 2009. I know you cannot always rely on preserved stock for accuracy, but hopefully, the photo' may be of some use regarding the graining of the mock teak finish, and the position of the 1's on the first class compartment doors.

attachicon.gif100_4306 - Copy.JPG

Regards,

Rob.

Yes, looking at photos, the positioning did seem to vary, possibly depending on which works built the carriages concerned.

• RMweb Gold

Delayed : now Feb / March

I struggle still with the price but it'll be interesting seeing the items in 'in the flesh'.

I'm holding out for the maroon version and at the price it will be by then probably just the one to add as a set strengthener to a rake of the much better value Hornby MK1's. 

• Like 1

I'm holding out for the maroon version and at the price it will be by then probably just the one to add as a set strengthener to a rake of the much better value Hornby MK1's. 

Mike, I'd prefer maroon versions too. The irony is I've nine sets of comet sides that I was going to build purchased to build before the announcement of these in 2013. I may build them yet!

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thought I'd bump this in anticipation, and share some basic research.   Bachmann are doing five types, based on Diagrams 329 (TK), 332 (FK), 328 (CK), 346 (BTK) and 345 (BCK). These were all built with square-cornered windows up until 1948, and round-cornered ones from 1949 - Bachmann are doing the square ones. The respective numbers built were, roughly, TK 285 square/167 round, FK 22/67, CK 49/61, BSK 36/46. BCK, 30/10.

Interesting that there were twice as many square-cornered TKs as all the other square-cornered types put together.  Also noteworthy that the square-cornered BSKs only just outnumbered the similar BCKs.  

Looking forward to these, and crossing my fingers that the crimson and cream isn't that far removed from Hornby's Gresleys. 

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to these, and crossing my fingers that the crimson and cream isn't that far removed from Hornby's Gresleys. 

I've a mixed set of Hornby Staniers and Bachmann Portholes in crimson and cream and whilst they dont match exactly they are close enough to not offend the eye.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifP1300365.JPGHas anyone noticed the considerable difference in the height of the gangways,

between the current Hornby Gresleys and the previous Bachmann Thompsons.

Someone has got it wrong, possibly a bit of both.

Hopefully the new Thompsons will bring a big improvement.

Given that the new Thompsons are not related at all to the older model and assuming Hornby have the Gresleys reasonably correct I think this is one issue we needn't worry about. And those colours are a reasonable match too :)

Thought I'd bump this in anticipation, and share some basic research.   Bachmann are doing five types, based on Diagrams 329 (TK), 332 (FK), 328 (CK), 346 (BTK) and 345 (BCK). These were all built with square-cornered windows up until 1948, and round-cornered ones from 1949 - Bachmann are doing the square ones. The respective numbers built were, roughly, TK 285 square/167 round, FK 22/67, CK 49/61, BSK 36/46. BCK, 30/10.

Interesting that there were twice as many square-cornered TKs as all the other square-cornered types put together.  Also noteworthy that the square-cornered BSKs only just outnumbered the similar BCKs.  

Interesting stats.

Some of it comes down to the useage.  As my modelling interests are in Wharfedale, most stock was ex-LMS, and most of my coaching knowledge is of their stock (or BR Mk1s) too. However there was a through summer saturday working from Saltburn to Blackpool - return consist below:

BCK (2-2)  To West Hartlepool

2SK (8) 

4SK (8)     To Saltburn

BCK (2-2)   

From Southport, added at Blackburn (so included through Wharfedale)

BCK (2-2)    

SK (8)    

This is from the 1958 carriage workings, kindly shared via the BR coaching stock yahoo group by Robert CWP and John Evans.

In 1958 these used NER sets 417, 418 431 but I have yet to find more information other than a few photos, which generally show a mix of Thompson and Gresley types.

This shows that, for excursion traffic at least, the NER had a very different concept to Midland region formations!

Interesting stats.

Some of it comes down to the useage.  As my modelling interests are in Wharfedale, most stock was ex-LMS, and most of my coaching knowledge is of their stock (or BR Mk1s) too. However there was a through summer saturday working from Saltburn to Blackpool - return consist below:

BCK (2-2)  To West Hartlepool

2SK (8) 

4SK (8)     To Saltburn

BCK (2-2)   

From Southport, added at Blackburn (so included through Wharfedale)

BCK (2-2)    

SK (8)    

This is from the 1958 carriage workings, kindly shared via the BR coaching stock yahoo group by Robert CWP and John Evans.

In 1958 these used NER sets 417, 418 431 but I have yet to find more information other than a few photos, which generally show a mix of Thompson and Gresley types.

This shows that, for excursion traffic at least, the NER had a very different concept to Midland region formations!

If you are referring to late LNER and earlier BR carriage working books then the Thompson vestibuled (gangwayed) stock is referred to by type and with the additional description 'transverse corridor', usually indicated by a symbol in the working that is previously identified with the full list carriage codes found near the front of the document.

attachicon.gifP1300365.JPGHas anyone noticed the considerable difference in the height of the gangways,

between the current Hornby Gresleys and the previous Bachmann Thompsons.

Someone has got it wrong, possibly a bit of both.

Hopefully the new Thompsons will bring a big improvement.

The Gresley vestibules should be taller, reaching up to and protruding slightly into the end roof line, whilst the (old) Thompson's may be just a tad too tall. The top part of the Gresley vestibule does not look as 'solid' as it perhaps should be either, giving more of an impression from the side of a BS gangway.

The Hornby buffers are sweeter though.