Dave F more photos added 21 June from 1947 to 1955ish

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much Dave for sharing.

The imaginatively different angles combined with the 'access' and having a eye for the mundane and different has allowed us 'younger' (I'm 49!) types to get a feel of what the railways were really like then.

And thanks also to your mum and dad.

Kev.

(I will miss these daily updates.)

David,

I would like to "ditto" all comments so far.

Have you given any thought to getting them published in "analogue" format? They would make a smashing set of books that I for one, would love to have in my railway collection.

Cheers

Peter

I'd buy one!

I'd buy one!

So would I! Plus a couple more for two sons who appreciate steam locomotion and some pretty damn excellent photography.

Dave, I'd like to add my own thanks for this thread. It's been one heck of a ride and I'm only sorry it's over. If you have more, I have no doubt that many of us would like to see them. And I really think you should reconsider getting these published in book format. Seeing such excellent pics on the screen is one thing, having a book in hand that one can browse at will is another. You just can't beat a good book, and this would be one of the best.

Again, many thanks.

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi David

What am I going to look forward to when I get home from work?

I have really enjoyed each new upload and like many others have said a big THANK YOU to you and your dad.

Now to download the Nottingham Victoria photos.....a big station with a fiddle yard entrance at each end .......one day if I have enough space and money.

• Like 1

Like so many I have found this thread fascinating and truly inspirational. I'm going to miss my daily fix.

It's been so Inspirational I've moved the time frame of my layout back to the early 50s!

Edited by mullie

• RMweb Premium

Just adding my thanks and appreciation for what has been an eye-opening, informative and engaging thread with some truly memorable pictures...

Only thing for it now is to go back and re-read the whole thing...

Oh, and another vote from me for the printed and published copy!

David

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all very much indeed for all the very kind comments about the photos.

I am sure that if Dad was around he would be delighted that others enjoy his photos.    I know that over the years, especially as he grew older, he enjoyed looking at the prints and remembering how things used to be.

I should have mentioned yesterday that if you want to download copies for your own use that's fine.  Please do not pass them on or post them elsewhere without asking me first as they are copyright.

If you need a larger file size to look at more detail for modelmaking, or if you need a large number of images please do contact me.

David 

• Like 2

Hi

I have said this a few times,these photo should be put into a book.

I have a lot of railway books and the photo are nowhere near what your father has shot,Once again thank you for sharing these with use.

All the best

Darren01

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave, I agree with everyone else. All of these photos are from before my time, but the daily feed has really brought that time period to life. I almostfelt like i was there too. I will miss my daily fix!

If you ever get time to contemplate a book (one order here!), then companies like blurb.com will allow you to sell them from their site.

Thanks again, it's been amazing!

I guess I'll have to go back to spending more time doing work!!

Thanks very much for sharing all of these photos of a world that is before my time; it strikes me that they pick up wide cross-section of railway life - and not just the big expresses - and this is what makes this thread so good.

Look forward to the Northumberland pictures - it's one of my favourite parts of the country and those old branches that wandered the country are long lost.

Aw no - it's finished :cry:

Thanks ever so much for taking the time and trouble to scan and post these to show us all. They've been enlightening, extremely useful for my own (parochial) research but above all else just sheer enjoyment to look at.

Funnily enough, I am at this very moment going through and cataloguing my late stepfather's pre-1968 photographic collection. What you have done for us here is very much food for thought...

Like so many I have found this thread fascinating and truly inspirational. I'm going to miss my daily fix.

It's been so Inspirational I've moved the time frame of my layout back to the early 50s!

I was thinking the same thing.

Hi David,

Just like to add my appreciation for this wonderful collection, I was an avid "spotter" in the 1950s but unfortunately not a photographer. It's a good thing that your Dad and others like him were and preserved these images, great that they are of everyday events and locomotives not just main line locos on passenger turns.

I would echo what many others have said about publishing some of them especially as many are not just locomotives but the loco men, track gangs etc.

Thank you for sharing them with us.

Edward

• RMweb Premium

David, a huge thank you to you for your time and enthusiasm in producing the most wonderful collection of pictures I have seen.

It is sad that your dad's passing made way for this, however what a tribute to his skill and love of his 'hobby'.

I have so much enjoyed these postings and the informative comments from 'friends'. I have learnt more about the railways of Nottinghamshire in looking at this thread than in ten years of  'looking' since I moved up here!  

I look forward to seeing anything you might decide to place on here in the future.

Sincerely

Phil @ 36E

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Funnily enough, I am at this very moment going through and cataloguing my late stepfather's pre-1968 photographic collection. What you have done for us here is very much food for thought...

I wouldn't try to put you off, I can never look at too many photos :)

• Like 1

Hi

This has been an amazing journey back to how the railways looked and worked,and what a journey it has been!.

This got me thinking ,about how many photo are out there that have never seen the light of day?.

Maybe we could set up a thread for photo's taken by use or your father of the railway as it was years ago?.

I bet there are photo that some one on here would love to see if they where building that location but can not find any,or very few, It would be like a data bank for the future modellers .

I learned a lot from Dave F photo's of early BR day's and now it has made me want to model my new layout with some of the images I have seen, just to get the layout to look set in the 50's,So these photo's have inspired my no end.

Darren01

Edited by darren01
  • Like 1

I think it's well worth dipping into David's thread on occasions as you might spot a hidden gem. This really sums up Nottm Midland on a rather grim day. Again, the positioning of the passengers and staff (no hi-vis in those days) make the picture., together with the reflections on platform 3.

post-6880-0-55957900-1372319159.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Well, I know what you mean Sunset. However, 'Midland' is grim whatever day you go there now unless you enjoy bogcarts and the occasional Oil Tanks. I suppose the trams will add a bit of variety in a couple of years time? I think Nott'm might  now also be a 'barrier station' - pah!

P

• Like 1

another big thank-you for taking the time to upload this brilliant collection.

my limited knowledge of railways is confined to GWR/WR stuff, and I know very little about the other regions and companies. however, reading through this thread from start to finish I'm now able to identify an awful lot more locos (and locations!). I've enjoyed trying to guess the loco before reading the caption, and by the end of the thread I was getting most of them right.

I will have to frequent your flickr pages now. :)

• Like 1

The first batch for today are from the Grantham area, Nottingham area and one from Rugby.  A couple have human interest and show what the well dressed railwayman was wearing in the early 1950s.

attachicon.gifGrantham J6 64237 up goods c1950 JVol5004.jpg

Grantham J6 64237 up goods c1950 JVol5004

attachicon.gifBarkston B1 probably 61371 ex pass Skegness to Grantham c1952 JVol5005.jpg

Barkston B1 probably 61371 ex pass Skegness to Grantham c1952 JVol5005

attachicon.gifAwswoth viaduct c1952 JVol5008.jpg

Awsworth viaduct c1952 JVol5008

attachicon.gifRugby Rebuilt Patriot 45530 Sir Frank Ree down ex pass c1952 JVol5010 (1).jpg

Rugby Rebuilt Patriot 45530 Sir Frank Ree down ex pass c1952 JVol5010

attachicon.gifNottingham Midland Jubilee 45554 Ontario le c1953 JVol5011.jpg

Nottingham Midland Jubilee 45554 Ontario le c1953 JVol5011

attachicon.gifNottingham Victoria Driver and Fireman of B1 c1952 JVol5012.jpg

Nottingham Victoria Driver and Fireman of B1 c1952 JVol5012

Note the fireman's lucky heather.

attachicon.gifNottingham Victoria B1 61128 Nottingham to Leicester and K2 c1952JVol5013.jpg

Nottingham Victoria B1 61128 Nottingham to Leicester and K2 c1952 JVol5013

The view from the footbridge by Parliament Street.

attachicon.gifNottingham Victoria p w gang c1952 JVol5014.jpg

Nottingham Victoria p w gang c1952 JVol5014

David

The fireman in JVol5012 is not only wearing lucky heather in his greasetop hat, but also a Royal Armoured Corps cap badge.

• 2 weeks later...

This evening I've come to the last few of Dad's photos, which are posted below.  I think there are around 1470 in this thread.

Thanks are due to him for taking the photos,keeping them and cataloguing them.  I'd also like to thank everyone who has looked at them, I hope you've enjoyed them.  

I've enjoyed reading all the comments, especially the extra information, amendments and corrections.  If photos are on the web the captions need to be as accurate as possible, so thank you all for your help in this.

Obviously the photos remain accessible here, as I've already mentioned they are also to be found on my flickr site at:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/    Once on my Photostream page you can click on "Sets" where you will find the photos arranged by location, area or route.

For the future:

So far there are well over 8,000 of Dad's and my railway images on flickr.  This means I have around another 30,000 colour images, mainly from 1965 to 2003 to work on, plus a few earlier ones.

I have also kept some of my own black and white negatives which I will scan in due course.  These cover mainly 1965-69.

Then there are the post 2003 digital images....

At least some of these will appear on RMWeb, and I will always put links to batches I put on flickr, just as I have in the past.

One likely future project is photos of Northumberland's railways, including disused ones, today and over the last thirty or so years.

Now for the photos.

attachicon.gifNew Basford O4 up mineral Jan 55 JVol7050.jpg

New Basford O4 up mineral Jan 55 JVol7050

attachicon.gifWembley Park Neasden Depot Metropolitan electric 1 John Lyon Rickansworth to Baker Street March 55 JVol7051.jpg

Wembley Park Neasden Depot Metropolitan electric 1 John Lyon Rickansworth to Baker Street March 55 JVol7051

attachicon.gifNottingham Midland Jubilee class school party waiting for train March 55 JVol7053a.jpg

Nottingham Midland Jubilee class school party waiting for train March 55 JVol7053a

attachicon.gifNottingham Midland Jubilee class 45565 Victoria Manchester Central to St Pancras March 55 JVol7054.jpg

Nottingham Midland Jubilee class 45565 Victoria Manchester Central to St Pancras March 55 JVol7054

attachicon.gifDaybrook K2 61738 up goods note smokebox handrail March 55 JVol7055.jpg

Daybrook K2 61738 up goods  March 55 JVol7055

Note the smokebox handrail, it seems to be an unusual shape.

attachicon.gifDaybrook L1 67746 Basford North to Nottingham Victoria via Netherfield March 55 JVol7056.jpg

Daybrook L1 67746 Basford North to Nottingham Victoria via Netherfield March 55 JVol7056

attachicon.gifNottingham Victoria O1 down goods March 55 JVol7057.jpg

Nottingham Victoria O1 down goods March 55 JVol7057

attachicon.gifNottingham Victoria B1 61092 March 55 JVol7058.jpg

Nottingham Victoria B1 61092 March 55 JVol7058

It's perhaps fitting to end with a photo of a B1, they were Dad's favourite class.

Incidentally, he would have been 87 yesterday.

Once again, thanks for looking at the photos.

David

Hello David, I caught your name when you were kind enough to comment on my warship (not the loco!) picture on the Downes and Robinson thread. Thinking to take a look at your own contributions, I am very impressed. Like too many modellers, my prototype knowledge is often weak so I do appreciate so many images worthy of study.

It is the platform picture that really caught me. I was born in 1948 so I'd be seven at the time. We were such children at the time, and so much the better for it; innocence that modern kids would never believe, growing up far too quickly. It made me feel quite sad and very lucky to have that period of childishness in my own life...

Thanks again, Tony.

• Like 3