Now for this evening's set.

post-5613-0-93080700-1371404453_thumb.jpg

Stapleford and Sandiacre 8F down goods Jan 51 JVol6082

post-5613-0-88905600-1371404456_thumb.jpg

Toton 3F 43832 down l e Jan 51 JVol6083

post-5613-0-40728000-1371404450_thumb.jpg

Stapleford and Sandiacre 3F up goods crossing River Erewash Jan 51 JVol6084

post-5613-0-95262000-1371404446_thumb.jpg

Radford North 4F 4401 down empties and Crab 42762 up mineral taking water Feb 51 JVol6085

post-5613-0-06517100-1371404434_thumb.jpg

Basford Sidings 3F 43192 l e guard, driver Mr Mee, fireman and yard forman Feb 51 JVol6086

post-5613-0-49857800-1371404443_thumb.jpg

Nottingham West signal box Feb 51 JVol6088

post-5613-0-34728700-1371404437_thumb.jpg

Nottingham Midland compound 41021 Nottingham to Sheffield Feb 51 JVol6089

post-5613-0-98541200-1371404439_thumb.jpg

Nottingham Midland compound 41021 Nottingham to Sheffield Feb 51 JVol6090

David

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

David

May I ask where the shot at Edwalton was taken?

Rob

You may well ask.  Having thought about it, I have remembered I was born in a nursing home at West Bridgford, on Musters Road.  I've no idea why Dad wrote Edwalton when it isn't.  I do know that sometimes he captioned images using the nearest signal box or station, so that may be the case here.

Sadly I can't ask him.

David

• RMweb Gold

Fascinating photo of the Leader bogie - has Kevin Robertson seen it I wonder?

And some casual application of headcodes on the Lewes photos I suspect.  The U1 code is correct - this would probably be one of the morning heavy duties which picked up a portion from Eastbourne at Eridge or from Tunbridge Wells West at Ashurst.  Needed a powerful locomotive to keep to schedule (either a U1 or Light Pacific).

The Fairburn is most likely a London train via East Grinstead and Oxted but is missing a third disc at left (Victoria) or right (London Bridge) end of the buffer beam.

The L with the Birdcage set I think is a Tonbridge train via Eridge, with a redundant disc at the top of the smokebox.

Thanks for the headcode information.  My SR headcode booklets don't go that far back and I'm never sure where Dad took his caption information from.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Apart from the thanks yet again for great pics (that Compound leaving Midland - I can hear the noise now) I'd like to make a couple of comments.

In the first pic of this set (J6082: 8F), is that the coaling tower at the steam shed just behind the footbridge?

Also, the blokes on the 3F; strange how they look as if they have just returned from the Somme or some other awful place. It is the posture and pose so much adopted in those times, but this is 1951! Just look at the Yard Foreman's outfit.

P

• Like 2

You may well ask.  Having thought about it, I have remembered I was born in a nursing home at West Bridgford, on Musters Road.  I've no idea why Dad wrote Edwalton when it isn't.  I do know that sometimes he captioned images using the nearest signal box or station, so that may be the case here.

Sadly I can't ask him.

David

David

Thanks, that is clear now.

ROB

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Apart from the thanks yet again for great pics (that Compound leaving Midland - I can hear the noise now) I'd like to make a couple of comments.

In the first pic of this set (J6082: 8F), is that the coaling tower at the steam shed just behind the footbridge?

Also, the blokes on the 3F; strange how they look as if they have just returned from the Somme or some other awful place. It is the posture and pose so much adopted in those times, but this is 1951! Just look at the Yard Foreman's outfit.

P

I think the clothes madeth the men - or rather their appearance and then they adopted a 'typical' pose of the sort they had seen in pics of their fathers and grandfathers.  And the 'traditional' railway uniform really was exactly that use apart from badges there was little change to it for many years until the shock of the corporate image uniforms in the 1960s - which even (for some grades but not all) got rid of the long established 'black mac' - which some of us were still issued with to go with our made-to-measure 'flour grader' suits from Burtons in the early 1970s.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifStapleford and Sandiacre 8F down goods Jan 51 JVol6081.jpg

Stapleford and Sandiacre 8F down goods Jan 51 JVol6081

A nice example of a private owner wagon (Stephenson Clarke)  in full livery in relatively decent condition with original number and no BR P number by the looks of it (just a space where the "to work to and from" type instructions used to be) despite it being c.1951.  An "easy" one  (using e.g. perhaps a Bachmann 37-129 if doing it in OO?) amongst all the re-numbering, new plank adding and livery obliteration required to do an early post-nationalisation coal train!

Simon

Edited by 65179

• RMweb Gold

A Leica IIIa? That was some camera in them thar days - would still be regarded as valuable now to a collector. Your dad knew about decent equipment.

One part of the family owned a photographic shop, which Dad worked in at this time so he had the opportunity to use all sorts of interesting equipment.

David

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Nottingham Victoria B1 61185 l e taking water Feb 52 JVol6110. That is a fantastic photograph! But then again, fantastic was routine for your Dad..... Thanks again for doing all this David,

Alastair M

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

Your latest post #888 jumped out at me because I can not see in 3D. (Never have.)

The first shot "A5 69810 ex pass Nottingham Victoria to Grantham April 52 JVol6112" has captivated me and I don't know why!!!

I get a real "sense od perspective" which I have never experienced before.

Thanks for the photos, BTW.

Kev.

(Who is now staring at the computer at  various angles with either eye covered!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I wish there were some sort of auto-like on here that would like each set of photos as I look at them, my tapping finger is getting sore from over-use!

Thanks so much for continuing to put the photos up.

• Like 1

Very interested in this thread, especially Lincolnshire in the fifties, as photos seem few and far between.  The GNR lines are particularly interesting, and the photos of Sutton and Willoughby bring back memories of excursions to the seaside-do keep posting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

Where is the location for the 2 pics ?

Annesley MR 2P 40454 pass Chilwell to Worksop May 52 JVol6131

The overhead skip system is fascinating

Peter

Hardly any change over the years ..

(The station site is in the distance, it's not covered by the camera I'm afraid)

http://goo.gl/maps/bVVuU

Here's the aerial view

http://goo.gl/maps/U1a2f

• Like 2

This afternoon we travel as far as York, via Nottingham and Grantham, together with a look at Linby, north of Nottingham.

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gifLinby GC C12 67363 Annesley Dido Bulwell Common to Annesley push pull May 52 JVol6123.jpg

Linby GC C12 67363 Annesley Dido Bulwell Common to Annesley push pull May 52 JVol6123

David

David

I think JVol6123 maybe on the GN line at Linby, rather than the GC.

ROB

• Like 1

David

I think JVol6123 maybe on the GN line at Linby, rather than the GC.

ROB

Definitely GN! I guessed where it was and what it was immediately, so never even read the caption carefully - it must be taken from the GC line though?

• Like 1